Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Choosing a Shimano MTB front hub

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 6 posts · 666 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 February 2008
Last activity
18 February 2008
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
666
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,
    I'm going to build my first (front) wheel. The rim will be DRC ST
    Touring (ETRTO 622x17), 36 holes. I will use the wheel for commuting
    and light touring (I weigh 80 kg).
    I would like to buy an affordable and reliable hub, so I am looking at
    Shimano MTB hubs.
    What is the real difference between Deore M530 (9 euro), LX M580 (14
    euro), XT M760 (21 euro) and XT M770 (20 euro)?

    Thanks,
    Federico

  2. Quoted post said:

    Hello,
    I'm going to build my first (front) wheel. The rim will be DRC ST
    Touring (ETRTO 622x17), 36 holes. I will use the wheel for commuting
    and light touring (I weigh 80 kg).
    I would like to buy an affordable and reliable hub, so I am looking at
    Shimano MTB hubs.
    What is the real difference between Deore M530 (9 euro), LX M580 (14
    euro), XT M760 (21 euro) and XT M770 (20 euro)?

    For a commuter, not a whole lot. LX would be my choice. Slightly nicer
    finish--but even the plain Deore is fine with a bearing adjustment.
    Don't forget to top up the grease to keep the weather out as well.
    It's a front wheel, so not too much to worry about.

  3. LX is the best bang for the buck (Euro), as is 105 in the road components...

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,
    I'm going to build my first (front) wheel. The rim will be DRC ST
    Touring (ETRTO 622x17), 36 holes. I will use the wheel for commuting
    and light touring (I weigh 80 kg).
    I would like to buy an affordable and reliable hub, so I am looking at
    Shimano MTB hubs.
    What is the real difference between Deore M530 (9 euro), LX M580 (14
    euro), XT M760 (21 euro) and XT M770 (20 euro)?

  4. Quoted message said:

    For a commuter, not a whole lot. LX would be my choice. Slightly nicer
    finish--but even the plain Deore is fine with a bearing adjustment.
    Don't forget to top up the grease to keep the weather out as well.
    It's a front wheel, so not too much to worry about.

    Two votes for the LX! Thanks.

    By the way: where can I find the exact measurements for the hub? (I
    would like both the hub and the spokes online, at the same time - so
    no time to measure it)

    Thanks,
    Federico

  5. Quoted post said:
    Quoted message said:

    For a commuter, not a whole lot. LX would be my choice. Slightly nicer
    finish--but even the plain Deore is fine with a bearing adjustment.
    Don't forget to top up the grease to keep the weather out as well.
    It's a front wheel, so not too much to worry about.

    Two votes for the LX! Thanks.

    By the way: where can I find the exact measurements for the hub? (I
    would like both the hub and the spokes online, at the same time - so
    no time to measure it)

    http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm

  6. Quoted post said:
    Quoted message said:

    For a commuter, not a whole lot. LX would be my choice. Slightly nicer
    finish--but even the plain Deore is fine with a bearing adjustment.
    Don't forget to top up the grease to keep the weather out as well.
    It's a front wheel, so not too much to worry about.

    Two votes for the LX! Thanks.

    By the way: where can I find the exact measurements for the hub? (I
    would like both the hub and the spokes online, at the same time - so
    no time to measure it)

    Thanks,
    Federico

    Hub measurements are on the spec sheet on the net:
    http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/catalog/cycle/products/component.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441762988&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302049782&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181667&bmUID=1203348388182

    There are also spoke length calculators which will do the the job for
    you, at DT Swiss for instance:
    http://www.dtswiss.com/SpokesCalc/Welcome.aspx?language=en
    (accept the conditions of use by clicking the white tick box, then
    "continue" and you're in)
    and an Excel spreadsheet by Damon Rinard:
    http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm

    HTH.

    Andre Jute
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE%20%26%20CYCLING.html

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.