Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Chrome + steel = slip

Started by Phil, Squid-in-Training · · Last activity · 9 posts · 352 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
15 February 2005
Last activity
15 February 2005
Original author
Phil, Squid-in-Training
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
352
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I did a townie conversion on my old road bike.

    I switched out the threadless stem for a rusty high-rise single-bolt. The
    bar is a new cruiser-type bar with lots of leverage for rotation.

    The bar slips in the clamp, and I don't want to tighten down the bolt any
    further, as I fear I may strip the threads (which I've done many a time
    before).

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the two parts to clamp
    better? I'm looking for a <$1 solution. Here's what I have so far:

    1. Electrolytically corroding the handlebar and the stem together with
    regular applications of salt water.
    2. Sanding
    3. JB Weld
    4. Actually weld them together

    Combining solutions 1 and 2 seem to be the trick. Any others?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  2. Squid-in-Training said:

    I did a townie conversion on my old road bike.

    I switched out the threadless stem for a rusty high-rise single-bolt. The
    bar is a new cruiser-type bar with lots of leverage for rotation.

    The bar slips in the clamp, and I don't want to tighten down the bolt any
    further, as I fear I may strip the threads (which I've done many a time
    before).

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the two parts to clamp
    better? I'm looking for a <$1 solution. Here's what I have so far:

    1. Electrolytically corroding the handlebar and the stem together with
    regular applications of salt water.
    2. Sanding
    3. JB Weld
    4. Actually weld them together

    Combining solutions 1 and 2 seem to be the trick. Any others?

    Dear Phil,

    Shim it?

    Carl Fogel

  3. Would a handlebar shim like this work?

    http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16095.html

  4. On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:24:07 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"

    may have said:

    I did a townie conversion on my old road bike.

    I switched out the threadless stem for a rusty high-rise single-bolt. The
    bar is a new cruiser-type bar with lots of leverage for rotation.

    The bar slips in the clamp, and I don't want to tighten down the bolt any
    further, as I fear I may strip the threads (which I've done many a time
    before).

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the two parts to clamp
    better? I'm looking for a <$1 solution. Here's what I have so far:

    1. Electrolytically corroding the handlebar and the stem together with
    regular applications of salt water.
    2. Sanding
    3. JB Weld
    4. Actually weld them together

    Combining solutions 1 and 2 seem to be the trick. Any others?

    Add one layer of cola can between the clamp and the bars.

    Spread the clamp open, coat the center of the bar with automotive
    valve lapping compound (assuming you've got some, doesn't everyone?)
    and tighten normally.

    Sandblast the two surfaces and put them back together dry.

    Use a very sharp cold chisel to make some lengthwise ridges in the bar
    before reassembly.

    Get a stronger bolt, and tighten it the bejeezus out of it.

    Dig around in Le Carton du Junque for a stem that clamps better.

    Stick a post-it on the bars to remind you to Stay Seated; Don't Lean
    Forward. (Only works if you don't have to ride where there's traffic,
    of course.)

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  5. "Werehatrack" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:24:07 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"

    may have said:

    I did a townie conversion on my old road bike.

    I switched out the threadless stem for a rusty high-rise single-bolt.
    The
    bar is a new cruiser-type bar with lots of leverage for rotation.

    The bar slips in the clamp, and I don't want to tighten down the bolt any
    further, as I fear I may strip the threads (which I've done many a time
    before).

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the two parts to clamp
    better? I'm looking for a <$1 solution. Here's what I have so far:

    1. Electrolytically corroding the handlebar and the stem together with
    regular applications of salt water.
    2. Sanding
    3. JB Weld
    4. Actually weld them together

    Combining solutions 1 and 2 seem to be the trick. Any others?

    Add one layer of cola can between the clamp and the bars.

    I forgot about this one... will try it.

    Quoted message said:

    Spread the clamp open, coat the center of the bar with automotive
    valve lapping compound (assuming you've got some, doesn't everyone?)
    and tighten normally.

    Uh...

    Quoted message said:

    Sandblast the two surfaces and put them back together dry.

    I'll try *sanding* them.

    Quoted message said:

    Use a very sharp cold chisel to make some lengthwise ridges in the bar
    before reassembly.

    They actually already have ridges in them...

    Quoted message said:

    Get a stronger bolt, and tighten it the bejeezus out of it.

    Bolt will strip.

    Quoted message said:

    Dig around in Le Carton du Junque for a stem that clamps better.

    That's where it came from in the first place!

    Quoted message said:

    Stick a post-it on the bars to remind you to Stay Seated; Don't Lean
    Forward. (Only works if you don't have to ride where there's traffic,
    of course.)

    Actually I just need to keep other people off the bike 😉

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  6. Phil said:

    I did a townie conversion on my old road bike.

    I switched out the threadless stem for a rusty high-rise single-bolt. The
    bar is a new cruiser-type bar with lots of leverage for rotation.

    The bar slips in the clamp, and I don't want to tighten down the bolt any
    further, as I fear I may strip the threads (which I've done many a time
    before).

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the two parts to clamp
    better? I'm looking for a <$1 solution. Here's what I have so far:

    1. Electrolytically corroding the handlebar and the stem together with
    regular applications of salt water.
    2. Sanding
    3. JB Weld
    4. Actually weld them together

    Combining solutions 1 and 2 seem to be the trick. Any others?


    What I have done in the past is to put a few drops of Krazy Glue in
    between the two contacting surfaces. You have to be quick to adjust the
    position before the glue sets. Remove the bolt before you apply the glue
    and put it back after the glue dries.

    An alternative is to apply a thin layer of KrazyGlue on both surfaces
    and wait till dry, then put them together.
    GH

  7. Phil said:

    I did a townie conversion on my old road bike.

    I switched out the threadless stem for a rusty high-rise single-bolt. The
    bar is a new cruiser-type bar with lots of leverage for rotation.

    The bar slips in the clamp, and I don't want to tighten down the bolt any
    further, as I fear I may strip the threads (which I've done many a time
    before).

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the two parts to clamp
    better? I'm looking for a <$1 solution. Here's what I have so far:

    1. Electrolytically corroding the handlebar and the stem together with
    regular applications of salt water.
    2. Sanding
    3. JB Weld
    4. Actually weld them together

    Combining solutions 1 and 2 seem to be the trick. Any others?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    How about some washers?

    Pete

  8. On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 06:38:16 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"

    may have said:


    "Werehatrack" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Get a stronger bolt, and tighten it the bejeezus out of it.

    Bolt will strip.

    ITYM that the hole it goes into will strip. I've got fasteners here
    that will come close to converting the items they clamp into condensed
    matter before the threads on the bolts will let go.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Dig around in Le Carton du Junque for a stem that clamps better.

    That's where it came from in the first place!

    You obviously need a better class of Junque, then...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Stick a post-it on the bars to remind you to Stay Seated; Don't Lean
    Forward. (Only works if you don't have to ride where there's traffic,
    of course.)

    Actually I just need to keep other people off the bike 😉

    There you go.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  9. On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:34:26 -0500, cc011 <cc011@com_and_cast.net> may

    have said:

    An alternative is to apply a thin layer of KrazyGlue on both surfaces
    and wait till dry, then put them together.

    I take it that you've never been one of the merry pranksters who
    dripped a little superglue onto the seat of a carefully selected chair
    between classes, then.

    The stuff will often remain liquid, ready to set when air is excluded,
    for days or weeks...unless it comes into contact with the right kind
    of surface, such as skin. Most cyanoacrylate adhesives are anaerobic.
    That's why they are packaged in tubes and bottles that have some air
    in them; if the container was entirely full, the stuff would set.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.