A friend asked me about this bike as he may be interested in bidding. It's
already at $5100. Any comments from you vintage experts? Seems pretty
expensive for this bike, although it sounds like the original Super Record
parts are to be included with the purchase if the buyer desires. I think
this bike is from about '84 or so, but seller claims it's a "70s" vintage.
Any comments on vintage or value?
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
Cinelli bicycle on eBay. . . vintage & value?
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Equipment
- Published
- 23 March 2007
- Last activity
- 2 April 2007
- Original author
- www.BFWG.net
- Posts
- 17
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 967
- Views / 30 days
- 0
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 18:34:10 -0700, "www.BFWG.net" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
A friend asked me about this bike as he may be interested in bidding. It's
already at $5100. Any comments from you vintage experts? Seems pretty
expensive for this bike, although it sounds like the original Super Record
parts are to be included with the purchase if the buyer desires. I think
this bike is from about '84 or so, but seller claims it's a "70s" vintage.
Any comments on vintage or value?The aluminium headset, the stem and the newer logo on the crankarm
type it as a late example of this type of cinelli - but the decals,
paint colours, and headbadge are exactly right for all years of the
Model A and B cycles - they're the same as the one in the basement,
serial # 126. -
urlwww.BFWG.net/url said:
A friend asked me about this bike as he may be interested in bidding. It's
already at $5100. Any comments from you vintage experts? Seems pretty
expensive for this bike, although it sounds like the original Super Record
parts are to be included with the purchase if the buyer desires. I think
this bike is from about '84 or so, but seller claims it's a "70s" vintage.
Any comments on vintage or value?
yeah, i have a comment - $5,100 is insane. -
urlwww.BFWG.net/url said:
A friend asked me about this bike as he may be interested in bidding. It's
already at $5100. Any comments from you vintage experts? Seems pretty
expensive for this bike, although it sounds like the original Super Record
parts are to be included with the purchase if the buyer desires. I think
this bike is from about '84 or so, but seller claims it's a "70s" vintage.
Any comments on vintage or value?Not after 1980 - early decal type.
From what I see, a very clean all original example of a highly
desirable bike. Not out of line at $5K. See any comparables lately?
There's one just like it in my basement in long-term storage for a
friend but he's not selling - just like every other perfect Cinelli
Super Corsa.I wonder why he put on the non-matching rear changer? Original is
offered, though.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971 -
Quoted message said:
Not after 1980 - early decal type.
Wonder what year they went to braze-on bottle fittings? Mine has braze-on bb
cable guides & rear der cable stop, nothing else.--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com -
Mike Jacoubowsky said:
Quoted message said:
Not after 1980 - early decal type.
Wonder what year they went to braze-on bottle fittings? Mine has braze-on bb
cable guides & rear der cable stop, nothing else.Don't know about year, but I have one with a serial # of 3xxxx which
has no braze-ons at all (my guess is it is early 70's). -
jim beam said:
yeah, i have a comment - $5,100 is insane.
I'd agree, but then I look back to the late 70's when I thought $50K
was a lot for a vintage AC Cobra - now you pay at least that for a
replica and the originals are 10 times that and more.Maybe if people are willing to pay that sort of money, it's not a bad
investment. -
- Bob - said:
jim beam said:
yeah, i have a comment - $5,100 is insane.
I'd agree, but then I look back to the late 70's when I thought $50K
was a lot for a vintage AC Cobra - now you pay at least that for a
replica and the originals are 10 times that and more.Maybe if people are willing to pay that sort of money, it's not a bad
investment.
i think the difference is that the cobra was and still is a hot car
visually and physically. the cinelli otoh is an example of its time,
but nothing more. it has been so surpassed my modern technology, only
the hardest-core retrogrouch would ride it today [especially in terms of
its componentry - those cranks are fatigue city]. and in terms of build
quality, again, it's ok, but not brilliant. my della santa has finer
finish of build, has better paint, and doesn't have problematic chrome.
and you can buy a brand new one, with better tubes, for less than $2k.
unless that cinelli had historical significance, like eddy's sweat and
snot on it, i'd price it less than a new d*s. -
jim beam said:
- Bob - said:
jim beam said:
yeah, i have a comment - $5,100 is insane.
I'd agree, but then I look back to the late 70's when I thought $50K
was a lot for a vintage AC Cobra - now you pay at least that for a
replica and the originals are 10 times that and more.
Maybe if people are willing to pay that sort of money, it's not a bad
investment.
i think the difference is that the cobra was and still is a hot car
visually and physically. the cinelli otoh is an example of its time,
but nothing more. it has been so surpassed my modern technology, only
the hardest-core retrogrouch would ride it today [especially in terms of
its componentry - those cranks are fatigue city]. and in terms of build
quality, again, it's ok, but not brilliant. my della santa has finer
finish of build, has better paint, and doesn't have problematic chrome.
and you can buy a brand new one, with better tubes, for less than $2k.
unless that cinelli had historical significance, like eddy's sweat and
snot on it, i'd price it less than a new d*s.I think the Cinelli was and is still a hot bike visually and physically.
The Cobra OTOH is an example of its time nothing more. It has been so
surpassed by modern technology, only the hardest core retrogrouch would
drive one today [Especially in terms of it's componentry - those cranks
are fatigue city]............Actually I'd like them both to enjoy for the occasional Sunday outing,
but due to current financial constraints, I'll just drive and ride what
I have.Marcus
-
"jim beam" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
urlwww.BFWG.net/url said:
A friend asked me about this bike as he may be interested in bidding.
It's already at $5100. Any comments from you vintage experts? Seems
pretty expensive for this bike, although it sounds like the original
Super Record parts are to be included with the purchase if the buyer
desires. I think this bike is from about '84 or so, but seller claims
it's a "70s" vintage. Any comments on vintage or value?
yeah, i have a comment - $5,100 is insane.Not as a collectible investment. You should go to an auction where early
bicycles are sold and see how much collectors will bid for those. And that
example, from the photos, seems to be in pretty pristine condition.Nick
-
Nick Payne said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
A friend asked me about this bike as he may be interested in bidding.
It's already at $5100. Any comments from you vintage experts? Seems
pretty expensive for this bike, although it sounds like the original
Super Record parts are to be included with the purchase if the buyer
desires. I think this bike is from about '84 or so, but seller claims
it's a "70s" vintage. Any comments on vintage or value?Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
yeah, i have a comment - $5,100 is insane.
Quoted message said:
Not as a collectible investment. You should go to an auction where
early bicycles are sold and see how much collectors will bid for
those. And that example, from the photos, seems to be in pretty
pristine condition.The closeups look as though the bicycle was never used. I don't think
a front brake can be made as clean as the one in the pictures. It's
fresh out of the box as is the rest of the bicycle. Where do people
keep stuff like this for so many years?Jobst Brandt
-
Quoted message said:
The closeups look as though the bicycle was never used. I don't think
a front brake can be made as clean as the one in the pictures. It's
fresh out of the box as is the rest of the bicycle. Where do people
keep stuff like this for so many years?Yeah, bikes are made to be ridden.
That said, I've known a couple of guys with a lot of time on their
hands who rode a lot and who's bikes were almost incredibly clean.
--
JT
****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
**************************** -
<[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Nick Payne said:
Quoted message said:
> A friend asked me about this bike as he may be interested in bidding.
> It's already at $5100. Any comments from you vintage experts? Seems
> pretty expensive for this bike, although it sounds like the original
> Super Record parts are to be included with the purchase if the buyer
> desires. I think this bike is from about '84 or so, but seller claims
> it's a "70s" vintage. Any comments on vintage or value?Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
yeah, i have a comment - $5,100 is insane.
Quoted message said:
Not as a collectible investment. You should go to an auction where
early bicycles are sold and see how much collectors will bid for
those. And that example, from the photos, seems to be in pretty
pristine condition.The closeups look as though the bicycle was never used. I don't think
a front brake can be made as clean as the one in the pictures. It's
fresh out of the box as is the rest of the bicycle. Where do people
keep stuff like this for so many years?That's what I was wondering about my last find, it's from 1979 or 1980, and
still has the original tires:http://homepage.mac.com/getosx/jubilee.jpg
Nothing like the Cinelli, only 75$ in fact, but has plenty of sentimental
value since it's almost the same model I bought before going to college.And I've since removed the large chainring.
Greg
-
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> A friend asked me about this bike as he may be interested in
bidding.Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> It's already at $5100. Any comments from you vintage experts? Seems
> pretty expensive for this bike, although it sounds like the original
> Super Record parts are to be included with the purchase if the buyer
> desires. I think this bike is from about '84 or so, but seller claims
> it's a "70s" vintage. Any comments on vintage or value?
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Vintage-70s-Cinelli-Speciale-Corsa-Road-Bike_W0QQitemZ230093091729QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQuoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
yeah, i have a comment - $5,100 is insane.
Quoted message said:
Nick Payne said:
Not as a collectible investment. You should go to an auction where
early bicycles are sold and see how much collectors will bid for
those. And that example, from the photos, seems to be in pretty
pristine condition.Quoted message said:
The closeups look as though the bicycle was never used. I don't think
a front brake can be made as clean as the one in the pictures. It's
fresh out of the box as is the rest of the bicycle. Where do people
keep stuff like this for so many years?You'd be surprised. I bought a pristine 1965 car from a Red Wheat farmer
in Osage IA, Iowa's western border. It was stored since 1970 in a dry
steel barn with a cement floor. He said although he'd tried to sell it
before nobody ever drove that far to see it.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971 -
"A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
urlwww.BFWG.net/url said:
A friend asked me about this bike as he may be interested in bidding.
It's already at $5100. Any comments from you vintage experts? Seems
pretty expensive for this bike, although it sounds like the original
Super Record parts are to be included with the purchase if the buyer
desires. I think this bike is from about '84 or so, but seller claims
it's a "70s" vintage. Any comments on vintage or value?Not after 1980 - early decal type.
From what I see, a very clean all original example of a highly desirable
bike. Not out of line at $5K. See any comparables lately? There's one just
like it in my basement in long-term storage for a friend but he's not
selling - just like every other perfect Cinelli Super Corsa.I wonder why he put on the non-matching rear changer? Original is offered,
though.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971Bike sold for $6,211.13. . . . yow!!!
-
www.BFWG.net said:
Bike sold for $6,211.13. . . . yow!!!I wonder in 30 years time how much people will be willing to pay for a
carbon framed Shimano equiped 2007 Trek Madone ? -
Rik O'Shea said:
www.BFWG.net said:
Bike sold for $6,211.13. . . . yow!!!
I wonder in 30 years time how much people will be willing to pay for a
carbon framed Shimano equiped 2007 Trek Madone ?A reasonable question. My guess is "a fair bit." The answer depends on
a lot of things, but one issue is that I'm pretty sure Trek has made a
lot more Madones than Cinelli made Speciale Corsas.One could make a list of collectibles of the future, but the short
answer is probably the early stuff, the weird stuff, and the special
stuff. Bikes with racing provenance are always the top. Big-deal
prototypes are fun, too. Then, maybe early bikes from makers that went
on to fame and mass production (first-year Cervelo, perhaps?)Finally, there's the bikes that are already virtually classics.
Anything coming out of Sachs or Vanilla bicycles, because they are
both very limited production, and already face demand far in excess of
capacity.And stuff like Trek OCLVs will probably end up with that PX-10 cachet:
common, but one of the better-loved road bikes of all time.If you were going to collect something right now? My inclination would
be a BMX or a MTB with Campy equipment. An original Mektronic or Zap
bike. 1st-year Dura-Ace STI. Early freeride bikes in pristine
condition, because they will be extraordinarily rare, and they have
interesting shapes. How about a DH bike with a complete Airlines
system, or the Euro-only version of a Giant TCR Advanced with the
unadjustable seatpost?Koga-Miyata track bikes, or Look track bikes. Somewhere in my photos I
have a shot of a really swanky Look pursuit frame that is being loaned
to a young and very promising rider in my club. As a bonus, the bike
was stored in a (non-matching) soft bag which still bore the
handwritten name, address, and logotype of some guy named Andy
Hampsten. The address was in Colorado somewhere; I have photos I'd
have to edit lest I publish the address (though I suspect Andy has
moved).I imagine that bag, to the right collector, would be worth more than
most of my bikes.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.