Circuit Wheel Life Found

dhk2

Aug 8, 2006
I've been wondered for a while now how long my set of Velomax Circuits would last. Got the answer last week when doing some planned replacements at 30K miles: chain, cassette and new tires. When changing the rear tire, was shocked to find a substantial crack in the rear rim:

The only thing I noticed on the road was a slight knock on braking, maybe for a couple of weeks. I actually spun the rim while the bike was hanging in the garage and didn't notice anything other that a slight wobble in the rim.

In my experience, 30K miles on a rear wheel (with no truing or broken spokes) is excellent life. I've never gotten that kind of mileage out of my built-up 32 spoke wheels, but they were built with basic, low-end Mavic rims.

thanks for sharing.

If you're trying to flatter or be supportive of Velomax and Circuit Wheels, I think placing their name in the subject line along with "failure", is not a very good idea.

Good point Not Sure. Hope the revised title reads more accurately. Certainly didn't intend to dis the Circuit wheel here.....30K miles under a heavy (180-195 lb) rider with no broken spokes or need for truing is very impressive durability to my way of thinking.

That's amazing life span, for any wheel, considering how little tire there is, and the load,
wow! Great picture, and kudos to the wheel makers for such a lasting product.

I too have found the Circuits very durable / reliable. I am not sure of the exact mileage on mine, but probably 10,000 miles and no issues other than getting a pedal stuck in my rear spoke. Minus that one repair, I have had to do 0 maintenance on the wheels themselves.

I weigh in at 225 and the wheels have taken some very hard knocks. No other wheelset I have had has needed as little upkeep - I am watching ebay to get my hands on another set.

After inspecting my wheels today, I found some cracking around the rear drive side spoke holes. Once crack is pretty significant, I can catch my fingernail on it. All of the spokes still have good tension, but I am afraid that I have to retire the wheel. The front probably still has many good miles left on it, but the braking has seen better days and the bearings had a slight roughness. Since I have a backup wheelset, it will get a much deserved rest on the garage wall.

I figure I got somewhere between 12 and 15K miles on the wheels, they have the most miles of any of the wheelsets I have had and never once broke a spoke. I am a bit sad that the rear had to give up the ghost.

Being on a beer budget, I am replacing the set with some Mavic Aksiums. I have one set that has seen some hard service on my everyday road bike, then my TT bike and back to my everyday bike with no issues. I got another for a steal on ebay - you can find last year's models at rock bottom prices. They are a decent wheel and a great value considering the price and do look pretty spiffy when new as well.

If I come across a set of circuits in good shape, I will be sure to ****** them up if the price is right.

maydog, I'd say you did OK with the Circuits. My front wheel is hanging from the garage wall also. Like front tires, they seem to last much longer than rears, barring accidents/crashes.

The bearings in the Circuit hubs aren't anything special, just R8 skateboard bearings. Advantage is that they are cheap, easy to find and replace. Good luck with your new wheelset.