Cities Turning to Bicycles

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 04:03:06 GMT, "Jack May" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Actually there has been recent discussions on this topic in uk.transport

Oh I bet that was balanced and informative, in typical uk.tosspot
style ;-)

>from data collected in Great Brittan. The data shows that car drivers live
>longer than transit users. Part of the cause appears to be that higher
>income people live longer than low income people.

s/Part/All/ I'd say :)

>Don't think they say anything about bikes. The exercise from bikes will
>produce little life extension. The exercise will make you feel better and
>give you a better chance of being health into old age as long as you
>continue to exercise. Of course the bike is not relevant. Exercise is what
>is important.

According to Mayer Hillman and the BMA, the exercise form cycling
actually does produce significantly longer life, and there appears to
be more benfit from exercise integrated into daily living (i.e.
walking and cycling) than from going to the gym. I think it is
because cyclists will tend to exercise at a lower percentage of MHR
but for longer, whereas gym rats tend to sustain a higher percentage
of MHR in intervals of 10 or 15 minutes at a time. don't know how it
compares with, say, circuit training. I love circuits, me :)

>I personally use a professional grade trampoline in my back yard which I
>consider better exercise than riding my bike. I live across the street from
>the SF Bay shoreline where there is a bike path that does not cross roads,
>but I still prefer the trampoline.

I prefer the bike because I get exercise for free in time I would
otherwise have wasted being frustrated in a car :)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk