Clarendon Street: Response from Port Phillip

I received a response to my letter highlighting the impact of the tram
upgrades on cyclists.
--------------------------
Tram Upgrades and Bikes

Thank you for your letter of 15 January 2005 regarding the impact of the
Tram Priority Pilot works in Clarendon Street on cyclists.

As you are no doubt aware, the Tram Priority Pilot is a state government
initiative, being implemented by VicRoads and Yarra Trams, with the
support of the City of Port Phillip. The principal aims of the pilot
program are to improve the efficiency of tram movement by reducing the
delays caused by vehicles at intersections, improving accessibility for
pedestrians by building kerb extensions at tram stops, and generally
re-allocating priority in Clarendon Street from motor vehicles to public
transport and pedestrians.

I acknowledge that the impact of the new kerb extensions on cyclists
have been well summarised in you(sic) letter and attached photos, and
that the loss of the parking lane in sections where the new tram stops
are located are less than ideal for cyclists. These impacts will be
considered in the evaluation of the pilot program's performance, and
adjustments may be made if it is agreed that they are safe and
workable. However, other impacts represent an actual improvement for
cyclists - namely the improved safety for cyclists turning right, and
the general reduction in traffic speed caused by vehicular congestion.

Finally, Clarendon Street is closely paralleled by two designated bike
routes (Cecil Street and Moray Street), which offer wide bike lanes and
lower traffic volumes. It is therefore considered preferable for
cyclists to utilise these two north-south routes, and to access the
Clarendon Street activity centre via connecting roads.

Please don't hesitate to contact me on <number supplied> if you would
like to discuss this matter.

Yours faithfully,

<name supplied>
Sustainable Transport Engineer

------------------------

So in a nutshell, yes there is a problem but cyclists can use other
roads, right?

The bit about improved safety for cyclists turning right is an absolute
gem; maybe someone should tell him that cyclists can hook-turn at any
junction in Victoria...
--
Cheers
Euan

dave said:
they only listen if they think they have something to lose.

No, being beauracrats evrything they recieve in writing has to be submitted on the matter, and seeing as itts a piot program all written submissions mut be read/taken-into-account when it comes to decision time.

You can write and do something (how big a deal that is, well that's up to you...) or you can decide to do nothing and complain later that they didnt fix it bcos they failed to employ mental telepathy as to what everyone affected thought about the scenario

F"Rome perfected beauracracy, then it evolved into its pure form. Choas!" Dutch

[email protected] wrote:
> I received a response to my letter highlighting the impact of the tram
> upgrades on cyclists.
> --------------------------
> Tram Upgrades and Bikes
>
> Thank you for your letter of 15 January 2005 regarding the impact of the
> Tram Priority Pilot works in Clarendon Street on cyclists.
>
> As you are no doubt aware, the Tram Priority Pilot is a state government
> initiative, being implemented by VicRoads and Yarra Trams, with the
> support of the City of Port Phillip. The principal aims of the pilot
> program are to improve the efficiency of tram movement by reducing the
> delays caused by vehicles at intersections, improving accessibility for
> pedestrians by building kerb extensions at tram stops, and generally
> re-allocating priority in Clarendon Street from motor vehicles to public
> transport and pedestrians.
>
> I acknowledge that the impact of the new kerb extensions on cyclists
> have been well summarised in you(sic) letter and attached photos, and
> that the loss of the parking lane in sections where the new tram stops
> are located are less than ideal for cyclists. These impacts will be
> considered in the evaluation of the pilot program's performance, and
> adjustments may be made if it is agreed that they are safe and
> workable. However, other impacts represent an actual improvement for
> cyclists - namely the improved safety for cyclists turning right, and
> the general reduction in traffic speed caused by vehicular congestion.
>
> Finally, Clarendon Street is closely paralleled by two designated bike
> routes (Cecil Street and Moray Street), which offer wide bike lanes and
> lower traffic volumes. It is therefore considered preferable for
> cyclists to utilise these two north-south routes, and to access the
> Clarendon Street activity centre via connecting roads.
>
> Please don't hesitate to contact me on <number supplied> if you would
> like to discuss this matter.
>
> Yours faithfully,
>
> <name supplied>
> Sustainable Transport Engineer

> So in a nutshell, yes there is a problem but cyclists can use other
> roads, right?
>
> The bit about improved safety for cyclists turning right is an absolute
> gem; maybe someone should tell him that cyclists can hook-turn at any
> junction in Victoria...

Got an email addy

I will tell em.