General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Cleaning teflon coated pan-suggestions?

Started by Kswck · · Last activity · 26 posts · 736 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
18 April 2005
Last activity
26 April 2005
Original author
Kswck
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
736
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
    and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
    Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.

    How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

  2. I use an old toothbrush. It scrubs well, but the plastic bristles don't
    scratch. I figure if it can get the gunkm off my teeth, it can get the
    gunk off my skillet as well!!

  3. "Kswck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
    and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
    Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.

    How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?


    Try simmering some water in it while scraping it with a plastic spatula.

    Scott

  4. 1) Simmer water on stovetop - I would add placing a single drop of
    dishwashing soap. Don't let it come to a boil and scrape with a plastic
    spatula - not rubber.

    2) Place pan in sink. Place a single dryer sheet (think Bounce) into
    the pan. Run hot water into pan - let it set for 20 minutes. Push
    plastic spatula into dryer sheet and smush it around scraping up the
    junk (which will have softened by now). Then wash as usual.

    Should come out fine. Good luck!

  5. "Kswck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
    and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
    Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.

    How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

    by the way, tell the person who gunked it up to stop using "Pam" type
    cooking sprays, that is surely what did it, burnt-on Pam is about the only
    substance that will stick to teflon

    high heat and Pam are the twin enemies of good cookware

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Kswck said:

    Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
    and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
    Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.

    How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

    What on earth did you DO to it???
    I just used to wipe mine out with a paper towel!
    I clean my foreman grill that way with just a little
    spray of glass cleaner....
    --
    K.

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    cowboy' cacheoverflow@yahooDOTcom said:

    "Kswck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
    and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
    Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.

    How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

    by the way, tell the person who gunked it up to stop using "Pam" type
    cooking sprays, that is surely what did it, burnt-on Pam is about the only
    substance that will stick to teflon

    high heat and Pam are the twin enemies of good cookware

    Ung, I never used ANY kind of oil in my teflon pans when
    I had them back in college...

    The whole idea of using Teflon in the first place is that
    it's "Non-stick". Why would you oil it?????

    I'm serious.
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  8. Mi e' parso che Katra abbia scritto:

    Quoted message said:

    Ung, I never used ANY kind of oil in my teflon pans when
    I had them back in college...

    The whole idea of using Teflon in the first place is that
    it's "Non-stick". Why would you oil it?????

    Because some recipes calls for oil.
    --
    Vilco
    Think Pink , Drink Rose'

  9. "Ginny Sher" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Katra said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    cowboy' cacheoverflow@yahooDOTcom said:

    "Kswck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking
    > overnight
    > and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
    > Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.
    >
    > How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?
    >

    by the way, tell the person who gunked it up to stop using "Pam" type
    cooking sprays, that is surely what did it, burnt-on Pam is about the
    only
    substance that will stick to teflon

    high heat and Pam are the twin enemies of good cookware

    Ung, I never used ANY kind of oil in my teflon pans when
    I had them back in college...

    The whole idea of using Teflon in the first place is that
    it's "Non-stick". Why would you oil it?????

    I'm serious.

    I can't speak for others, but I always add some oil or butter to NS
    cookware, especially when I am making eggs. Maybe the heat is too
    high, but there is major sticking if I omit it. I like my eggs cooked
    hard; maybe that is part of the reason. I guess I've grown to like the
    taste of a little oil or butter too.

    Ginny

    Taste is of course the main reason, particuarly with butter and olive oil -
    oil is not just to prevent sticking. Also a little oil gives better browning
    in a non-stick pan in my experience.

    --
    Peter Aitken

    Remove the [censored] from my email address before using.

  10. Kswck said:

    Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
    and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
    Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.

    How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?


    I can't understand how it could be non-stick and be that messed up. I
    sometimes use one of those little plastic "paddle" things (about the
    size of your palm) that come with pizza stones. Usually, all it takes
    is hot water and a rag.

  11. "Kswck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
    and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
    Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.

    How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

    If ytou haven't been able to clean it after soaking and the scrubbie, it is
    already damaged to the point it is never going to cook non-stick again.
    --
    Ed
    http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

    Quoted message said:
  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Edwin Pawlowski said:

    "Kswck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
    and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
    Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.

    How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

    If ytou haven't been able to clean it after soaking and the scrubbie, it is
    already damaged to the point it is never going to cook non-stick again.

    True... ;-)

    Even with careful care and cleaning, I used to replace my teflon pans
    about every 6 months. For the old ones, I'd remove the handle and use
    them as water catchers for potted plants, or treat dishes out in the
    chicken yard.

    And, I found that the price I paid made no difference so I started
    buying the cheap ones.

    Now I use Griswold cast iron......
    I grew up. <lol>
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  13. "Katra" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Kswck said:

    Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
    and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
    Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.

    How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

    What on earth did you DO to it???
    I just used to wipe mine out with a paper towel!
    I clean my foreman grill that way with just a little
    spray of glass cleaner....
    --
    K.


    I dfidn't do it. Someone else did. But I don't know what was used in the
    pan.

  14. Thank you all for your suggestions.
    "Kswck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
    and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
    Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.

    How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

  15. In article <[email hidden]>, "Kswck" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "Katra" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Kswck said:

    Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
    and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
    Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.

    How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

    What on earth did you DO to it???
    I just used to wipe mine out with a paper towel!
    I clean my foreman grill that way with just a little
    spray of glass cleaner....
    --
    K.


    I dfidn't do it. Someone else did. But I don't know what was used in the
    pan.

    Okay... you sure they did not melt plastic in it? ;-)

    One thing that usually works for just about anything is to just fill it
    with some water and a little dish detergent and let it soak! For several
    hours. But it looks like you tried that.

    Try soaking it in vinegar, or maybe a bit of 10% bleach.
    Bleach water often works for scorches on stainless steel.

    If that does not work, just toss it and replace the pan.
    They are not generally that expensive.

    And put it off limits to everyone else in the house....

    Good luck!
    --
    K.

  16. "Katra" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, "Kswck" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "Katra" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Kswck" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking
    > overnight
    > and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
    > Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.
    >
    > How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?
    >
    >

    What on earth did you DO to it???
    I just used to wipe mine out with a paper towel!
    I clean my foreman grill that way with just a little
    spray of glass cleaner....
    --
    K.


    I dfidn't do it. Someone else did. But I don't know what was used in the
    pan.

    Okay... you sure they did not melt plastic in it? ;-)

    One thing that usually works for just about anything is to just fill it
    with some water and a little dish detergent and let it soak! For several
    hours. But it looks like you tried that.

    Try soaking it in vinegar, or maybe a bit of 10% bleach.
    Bleach water often works for scorches on stainless steel.

    If that does not work, just toss it and replace the pan.
    They are not generally that expensive.

    And put it off limits to everyone else in the house....

    Good luck!
    --
    K.

    Thank you.

  17. "Kswck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
    and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
    Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.

    How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

    You haven't said what is stuck onto it, but - 'cook it off' - Put a squirt
    strong/quality dish soap in it, tablespoon of salt, 3/4 fill with hot water,
    set it to simmer on the stove top for a while before washing as usual -
    normally gets anything off them. Oh, you can add vinegar too, as that will
    help with some things.

    Shaun aRe - "When I am cooking, It is *MY* damned kitchen. Obey, leave, or
    DIE."

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Shaun aRe said:

    "Kswck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking overnight
    and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
    Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.

    How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

    You haven't said what is stuck onto it, but - 'cook it off' - Put a squirt
    strong/quality dish soap in it, tablespoon of salt, 3/4 fill with hot water,
    set it to simmer on the stove top for a while before washing as usual -
    normally gets anything off them. Oh, you can add vinegar too, as that will
    help with some things.

    Shaun aRe - "When I am cooking, It is *MY* damned kitchen. Obey, leave, or
    DIE."

    Hey Shaun! :-)
    Good to see you here!!!!!!!

    Hugs!
    Kat
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  19. "Katra" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Shaun aRe said:

    "Kswck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking


    overnight

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
    Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.

    How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

    You haven't said what is stuck onto it, but - 'cook it off' - Put a


    squirt

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    strong/quality dish soap in it, tablespoon of salt, 3/4 fill with hot


    water,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    set it to simmer on the stove top for a while before washing as usual -
    normally gets anything off them. Oh, you can add vinegar too, as that


    will

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    help with some things.

    Shaun aRe - "When I am cooking, It is *MY* damned kitchen. Obey, leave,


    or

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    DIE."

    Hey Shaun! :-)

    Hey kat!

    Quoted message said:

    Good to see you here!!!!!!!

    Cheers - good to be here! Guess a man can't live on drgs alone huh?
    heheheh...

    Quoted message said:

    Hugs!
    Kat

    {{{{{HUGS!!!}}}}} to you too me dear!

    ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Shaun aRe said:

    "Katra" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Shaun aRe said:

    "Kswck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Okay. I was given a teflon-coated pan to clean. I tried soaking


    overnight

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > and scrubbing w/one of those plastic scrub things-no good.
    > Ran it through the dishwasher-no good.
    >
    > How do I clean this damn thing w/o damaging it?

    You haven't said what is stuck onto it, but - 'cook it off' - Put a


    squirt

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    strong/quality dish soap in it, tablespoon of salt, 3/4 fill with hot


    water,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    set it to simmer on the stove top for a while before washing as usual -
    normally gets anything off them. Oh, you can add vinegar too, as that


    will

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    help with some things.

    Shaun aRe - "When I am cooking, It is *MY* damned kitchen. Obey, leave,


    or

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    DIE."

    Hey Shaun! :-)

    Hey kat!

    Quoted message said:

    Good to see you here!!!!!!!

    Cheers - good to be here! Guess a man can't live on drgs alone huh?
    heheheh...

    Yeah, and they can get to be a bit "slow" sometimes!
    This one always has something of interest...
    I'm going to post Bob's slow cooked brisket method here
    as soon as I talk to him today.

    BBQ IMHO is one of the better ways to handle one.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Hugs!
    Kat

    {{{{{HUGS!!!}}}}} to you too me dear!

    ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe


    --
    K.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.