General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Clear vanilla extract

Started by cathy · · Last activity · 66 posts · 2,334 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
28 November 2005
Last activity
1 December 2005
Original author
cathy
Posts
66
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,334
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 66
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
    found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
    extract, not the real thing.

    Does it exist?

    Cathy

  2. "cathy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
    found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
    extract, not the real thing.

    Does it exist?

    Yes it does exist http://tinyurl.com/8oosh this what I buy in UK

  3. cathy said:

    Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
    found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
    extract, not the real thing.

    Yes, it does exist. The chef at a local restaurant brought some back from
    the Dominican Republic and gave me some. It was very good.

  4. cathy said:

    Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
    found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
    extract, not the real thing.

    Does it exist?

    Cathy

    Does it really need to be clear? This will be pure, but not
    clear.

    <http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1713,146191-251198,00.html>

    HOME BREWED VANILLA EXTRACT

    2 c. vodka
    5 vanilla beans, cut into 1" pieces

    Combine vodka and vanilla beans in a jar with a tight fitting lid.
    The vodka mixture will turn amber color after a day or two. Let
    stand 6 to 8 weeks. Yield: 2 cups.
    After half the extract is used, add more vodka to cover the
    beans. The flavor of the beans is gone when the vodka no longer
    turns to a dark color. (This extract has been used with the same
    beans for a period of three years, or longer.)

    --
    Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

  5. "cathy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
    found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
    extract, not the real thing.

    Does it exist?

    Cathy

    I see Ophelia already provided a source. But, in a pinch, could you use a
    vanilla liqueur? I don't know if one exists, but booze manufacturers seem to
    put every other damned flavor into alcohol these days. :-)

  6. cathy said:

    Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
    found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
    extract, not the real thing.

    Does it exist?

    I'd be very suspicious.

    And it wouldn't be imitation/artificial extract... it would be
    imitation/artificial flavoring.

    In dishes where vanilla gets heated modern imitation vanilla flavoring
    can't be differentiated from real vanilla extract, not by humans...
    anyone who claims they can detect the difference is lying. Save your
    real vanilla extract for things like whipped cream/ice cream, but the
    majority can't tell anyway, so if you have more dollars than brain
    cells go for it. For anything you cook/bake use fake.

    Merriam Webster

    van·il·lin

    noun

    : a crystalline phenolic aldehyde C 8 H 8 O 3 that is extracted from
    vanilla beans or prepared synthetically and is used especially in
    flavoring and in perfumery

    Sheldon Van Nillin

  7. Ophelia said:

    "cathy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
    found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
    extract, not the real thing.

    Does it exist?

    Yes it does exist http://tinyurl.com/8oosh this what I buy in UK

    That's not *clear*.

    Sheldon Reads

  8. Sheldon said:

    van·il·lin

    noun

    : a crystalline phenolic aldehyde C 8 H 8 O 3 that is extracted from
    vanilla beans or prepared synthetically and is used especially in
    flavoring and in perfumery

    Sheldon Van Nillin

    I've been told - never verified it though (go ahead, google it, i'm too
    lazy) that one source of vanillan is the ponderosa pine tree. (They're
    the big, tall pines that only have branches way up near the top, the
    lower ones fall off as the grow - like a loblolly pine - and the bark
    hsa huge crack in it so you can see the wood underneath.)

    If you ever have a chance, step up close and bury your nose in the
    openings of the bark. Smells like a bottle of pure vanilla. An
    environmental educator for the Albuquerque Public School district told
    my class that vanillan is extracted from the tree sap. Makes sense if
    you think about the fact that syrup comes from tree sap, why not
    vanillan?

  9. Sheldon said:


    cathy said:

    Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
    found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
    extract, not the real thing.

    Does it exist?

    I'd be very suspicious.

    And it wouldn't be imitation/artificial extract... it would be
    imitation/artificial flavoring.

    In dishes where vanilla gets heated modern imitation vanilla flavoring
    can't be differentiated from real vanilla extract, not by humans...
    anyone who claims they can detect the difference is lying. Save your
    real vanilla extract for things like whipped cream/ice cream, but the
    majority can't tell anyway, so if you have more dollars than brain
    cells go for it. For anything you cook/bake use fake.

    Merriam Webster

    van·il·lin

    noun

    : a crystalline phenolic aldehyde C 8 H 8 O 3 that is extracted from
    vanilla beans or prepared synthetically and is used especially in
    flavoring and in perfumery

    Sheldon Van Nillin

    Well, I'm thinking specifically about cake frostings. I made a red
    velvet cake yesterday with a cream cheese frosting, which called for 2
    teaspoons of vanilla. So instead of a pure, glaringly white frosting
    (which is what I wanted in contrasted to the red of the cake) I had a
    sort of pale beige frosting. Tastes fine, but the color contrast isn't
    there. It occurred to me that a clear vanilla extract would be just
    the thing for a frosting like this.

    But I really really dislike using the imitation stuff. You're right,
    Sheldon, you can't taste the difference if it's been heated, but
    straight into a frosting, well, I =can= tell the difference. There's
    something....chemical-y tasting about artificial vanilla, it's almost
    kind of metallic, and I just don't want that flavor in my frosting.
    Hence hte need for clear.

    So....does it exist?

    Cathy

  10. Sheldon said:


    Quoted message said:

    Does it exist?

    I'd be very suspicious.

    And it wouldn't be imitation/artificial extract... it would be
    imitation/artificial flavoring.

    In dishes where vanilla gets heated modern imitation vanilla flavoring
    can't be differentiated from real vanilla extract, not by humans...
    anyone who claims they can detect the difference is lying. Save your
    real vanilla extract for things like whipped cream/ice cream, but the
    majority can't tell anyway, so if you have more dollars than brain
    cells go for it. For anything you cook/bake use fake.

    Take this information for what it is worth. The friend who brought me
    clear pure vanilla extract from the Dominican Republic is an accomplished
    chef. He used it in his restaurant.

    As for cooked dishes..... our resident navy cook has suggested that it
    makes no difference in cooked dishes and but that the real stuff should be
    used in cooked dishes. Ice cream is cooked. Vanilla is not added at the
    end, as it is in puddings. It is cooked along with the cream, milk, sugar
    and eggs. So that just provides more proof that the only advice from
    Shelon that can be counted on is the stuff he cuts and pastes from reliable
    sources.

  11. Doug Kanter said:

    "cathy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
    found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
    extract, not the real thing.

    Does it exist?

    Cathy

    I see Ophelia already provided a source.

    You don't read any better than Ophelia.

    Quoted message said:

    But, in a pinch, could you use a
    vanilla liqueur? I don't know if one exists, but booze manufacturers seem to
    put every other damned flavor into alcohol these days. :-)

    Stop padding your posts with [censored] verbiage... do you think you're a
    guinea, or what.

    Sheldon

  12. "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Doug Kanter said:

    "cathy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
    found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
    extract, not the real thing.

    Does it exist?

    Cathy

    I see Ophelia already provided a source.

    You don't read any better than Ophelia.

    Quoted message said:

    But, in a pinch, could you use a
    vanilla liqueur? I don't know if one exists, but booze manufacturers seem
    to
    put every other damned flavor into alcohol these days. :-)

    Stop padding your posts with [censored] verbiage... do you think you're a
    guinea, or what.

    Sheldon

    Mommy will be home, soon, Sheldon. Stay calm, and focus on a happy thought,
    like her nipples. You'll be fine soon. Breathe deeply.

  13. Jude said:


    I've been told - never verified it though (go ahead, google it, i'm too
    lazy) that one source of vanillan is the ponderosa pine tree. (They're
    the big, tall pines that only have branches way up near the top, the
    lower ones fall off as the grow - like a loblolly pine - and the bark
    hsa huge crack in it so you can see the wood underneath.)

    If you ever have a chance, step up close and bury your nose in the
    openings of the bark. Smells like a bottle of pure vanilla. [snip]

    I think Ponderosa pine smells like butterscotch. -aem

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    cathy said:

    Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
    found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
    extract, not the real thing.

    Does it exist?

    Cathy

    Make your own. :-)

    Drop 6 vanilla beans into a bottle of vodka and stick it under the
    cabinet for 6 months.

    QED.
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  15. "Dave Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Sheldon said:


    Quoted message said:

    Does it exist?

    I'd be very suspicious.

    And it wouldn't be imitation/artificial extract... it would be
    imitation/artificial flavoring.

    In dishes where vanilla gets heated modern imitation vanilla flavoring
    can't be differentiated from real vanilla extract, not by humans...
    anyone who claims they can detect the difference is lying. Save your
    real vanilla extract for things like whipped cream/ice cream, but the
    majority can't tell anyway, so if you have more dollars than brain
    cells go for it. For anything you cook/bake use fake.

    Take this information for what it is worth. The friend who brought me
    clear pure vanilla extract from the Dominican Republic is an accomplished
    chef. He used it in his restaurant.

    As for cooked dishes..... our resident navy cook has suggested that it
    makes no difference in cooked dishes and but that the real stuff should be
    used in cooked dishes. Ice cream is cooked. Vanilla is not added at the
    end, as it is in puddings. It is cooked along with the cream, milk, sugar
    and eggs. So that just provides more proof that the only advice from
    Shelon that can be counted on is the stuff he cuts and pastes from
    reliable
    sources.

    Ice cream is cooked?

  16. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    cathy said:

    Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
    found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
    extract, not the real thing.

    Does it exist?

    Cathy

    Make your own. :-)

    Drop 6 vanilla beans into a bottle of vodka and stick it under the
    cabinet for 6 months.

    Won't it turn brown?

  17. cathy said:
    Sheldon said:


    cathy said:

    Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
    found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
    extract, not the real thing.

    Does it exist?

    I'd be very suspicious.

    And it wouldn't be imitation/artificial extract... it would be
    imitation/artificial flavoring.

    In dishes where vanilla gets heated modern imitation vanilla flavoring
    can't be differentiated from real vanilla extract, not by humans...
    anyone who claims they can detect the difference is lying. Save your
    real vanilla extract for things like whipped cream/ice cream, but the
    majority can't tell anyway, so if you have more dollars than brain
    cells go for it. For anything you cook/bake use fake.

    Merriam Webster

    van·il·lin

    noun

    : a crystalline phenolic aldehyde C 8 H 8 O 3 that is extracted from
    vanilla beans or prepared synthetically and is used especially in
    flavoring and in perfumery

    Sheldon Van Nillin

    Well, I'm thinking specifically about cake frostings. I made a red
    velvet cake yesterday with a cream cheese frosting, which called for 2
    teaspoons of vanilla. So instead of a pure, glaringly white frosting
    (which is what I wanted in contrasted to the red of the cake) I had a
    sort of pale beige frosting. Tastes fine, but the color contrast isn't
    there. It occurred to me that a clear vanilla extract would be just
    the thing for a frosting like this.

    But I really really dislike using the imitation stuff. You're right,
    Sheldon, you can't taste the difference if it's been heated, but
    straight into a frosting, well, I =can= tell the difference. There's
    something....chemical-y tasting about artificial vanilla, it's almost
    kind of metallic, and I just don't want that flavor in my frosting.
    Hence hte need for clear.

    So....does it exist?

    Not to my knowledge. I don't think there is any way to produce a
    tincture of vanilla bean and end up with anything clear... however
    there may be some way to 'bleach' vanilla extract... but I'd think that
    kinda does away with that word "pure".... not that there is anything
    approaching pure vanilla about vanilla extract.

    Were it me I'd make up a big batch of vanilla sugar... infuse a couple
    pounds powdered sugar with a couple vanilla beans for a couple weeks...
    now you have pure sugar embued with pure vanilla, doesn't get any more
    pure. Keep in mind that the taste of vanilla should never be so
    powerful it tastes artificial... just as with fine parfume whenever
    using vanilla always use less rather than more.

    You can also purchase vanilla powder.

    http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/detail.jsp;jsessionid=08303000991133221311323?id=2837VANILA&pv=1133221311587

    http://tinyurl.com/8ck9k

    Of course for a perfectly white frosting professional bakers might use
    vanilla fondant... Baker's Catalog has it in two pound lots.

    Sheldon

  18. Doug Kanter said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    cathy said:

    Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
    found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
    extract, not the real thing.

    Does it exist?

    Cathy

    Make your own. :-)

    Drop 6 vanilla beans into a bottle of vodka and stick it under the
    cabinet for 6 months.

    Won't it turn brown?

    Of course... and it'll be flavored vodka, not pure vanilla extract.
    And why 6 vanilla beans... seemed like a good number, eh.... those
    beans are worth twice the vodka.... but wastes the beans and more
    importantly wastes the vodka.

    Sheldon Riga

  19. aem said:
    Jude said:


    I've been told - never verified it though (go ahead, google it, i'm too
    lazy) that one source of vanillan is the ponderosa pine tree. (They're
    the big, tall pines that only have branches way up near the top, the
    lower ones fall off as the grow - like a loblolly pine - and the bark
    hsa huge crack in it so you can see the wood underneath.)

    If you ever have a chance, step up close and bury your nose in the
    openings of the bark. Smells like a bottle of pure vanilla. [snip]

    I think Ponderosa pine smells like butterscotch.

    Nah... smells like Uranus.

    Sheldon Pinesol

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Doug Kanter said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    cathy said:

    Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
    found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
    extract, not the real thing.

    Does it exist?

    Cathy

    Make your own. :-)

    Drop 6 vanilla beans into a bottle of vodka and stick it under the
    cabinet for 6 months.

    Won't it turn brown?

    Uh, it's supposed to.....
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.