Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Climbing hills on a fixie

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 27 posts · 1,156 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
2 November 2004
Last activity
14 December 2004
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,156
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Ok, I just got my first fixie bike, and it has a 46/16 setup (~75 gear inches?).
    I quickly found out how important it is to have real brakes -- I could easily
    support outlawing fixies without brakes.

    There are some hills around my house that I cannot climb, even at zero mph,
    because even with all my weight, I don't weigh enough to push hard enough
    on the pedals.

    I can easily climb these hills on my unicycle, but the uni is fixed at about
    25 gear inches.

    Perhaps there is a different technique for climibing with a fixie bike?

  2. Several thoughts come to mind:

    1. Get more used to riding FG on the flats or on gently rolling terrain. Learn
    to spin smoothly with a nice, round pedal stroke.

    2. Try lower gearing. 42 x 16, which is what I use, works out to 68 gear
    inches and is a very popular setup.

    3. Do you climb seated or standing? Standing is really necessary beyond a
    certain steepness. You'll find the fixie, with its straight chainline and no
    derailleurs/pulleys, climbs more easily than a geared bike at the same ratio.

    4. For what it's worth, I'm 6' tall and weigh 175 lb, so I ain't no flyweight
    Spanish climber. Still, I ride my 42 x 16 fixie regularly on rolling terrain
    (nothing is flat around here). Somewhere around 4-5% grade is comfortable.
    Beyond that (I've muscled up SHORT sections at 10%) there are two problems:
    going up can be hard on your needs, and you'll really overspeed on the way
    down. I hit 34 mph once and spinning at 150+ rpm (?) made me nervous. 30 mph
    is OK, though.

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers.
    To reply, delete everything after "com".)

  3. Quoted message said:

    Ok, I just got my first fixie bike, and it has a 46/16 setup (~75 gear inches?).
    I quickly found out how important it is to have real brakes -- I could easily
    support outlawing fixies without brakes.

    There are some hills around my house that I cannot climb, even at zero mph,
    because even with all my weight, I don't weigh enough to push hard enough
    on the pedals.

    I can easily climb these hills on my unicycle, but the uni is fixed at about
    25 gear inches.

    Perhaps there is a different technique for climibing with a fixie bike?

    That gear is a bit too high for general use. Try 46/17 or 48/18. You
    have to charge steep hills on a fixie and you may have trouble on the
    really long drags.

    I actually find that my track bike climbs more easily than the racing
    bike. The "flywheel effect" isn't just a myth - your momentum forces
    the cranks around TDC and BDC.

  4. hbaker1 said:

    Ok, I just got my first fixie bike, and it has a 46/16 setup (~75 gear
    inches?).

    I agree with "Mike", a 46/16 is pretty big. I'd go with either a 46/16 or
    maybe a 42/16, either of which gives you a gear a bit below 70", and only
    requires replacing one dohickey.

    I quickly found out how important it is to have real brakes
    -- I

    Quoted message said:

    could easily support outlawing fixies without brakes.

    Yeah. I rode with a group in a Halloween parade, on my old track bike
    stripped down to the original equipment -- no brakes, clips and straps,
    etc. In the parade itself there was no problem; I practiced track stands
    much of the time. Riding back to the car was not too bright. I don't see
    why messengers would not want at least one brake.

    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps there is a different technique for climibing with a fixie bike?

    My fixed gear has 3 speeds: sitting, standing, and walking. Gets me up
    most hills.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and
    _`\(,_ | Excellence.
    (_)/ (_) |

  5. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ok, I just got my first fixie bike, and it has a 46/16 setup (~75 gear


    inches?).

    Quoted message said:

    I quickly found out how important it is to have real brakes -- I could


    easily

    Quoted message said:

    support outlawing fixies without brakes.

    Yeah, brakes are important, especially front ones.

    Quoted message said:

    There are some hills around my house that I cannot climb, even at zero


    mph,

    Quoted message said:

    because even with all my weight, I don't weigh enough to push hard enough
    on the pedals.

    I can easily climb these hills on my unicycle, but the uni is fixed at


    about

    Quoted message said:

    25 gear inches.

    Perhaps there is a different technique for climibing with a fixie bike?

    Stand, pull up on bars, pull up on opposite foot, zig-zag (traffic
    permitting).

  6. Quoted message said:

    There are some hills around my house that I cannot climb, even at zero mph,
    because even with all my weight, I don't weigh enough to push hard enough
    on the pedals.

    I can easily climb these hills on my unicycle, but the uni is fixed at about
    25 gear inches.

    Perhaps there is a different technique for climibing with a fixie bike?

    If your weight won't move you forward on the grade, the gear is too
    tall. 46/16 is pretty high; I'd cut back to a 40 or 42 front with a
    16 rear, maybe lower if your terrain is really hilly. You have to be
    careful about that, though; if the gear-inch figure goes too low,
    you'll find it hard to keep up with the crank when going *downhill*.

    (I will note without further comment that all of these are reasons why
    multi-gear bikes exist.)
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  7. Quoted message said:

    Ok, I just got my first fixie bike, and it has a 46/16 setup (~75 gear inches?).
    I quickly found out how important it is to have real brakes -- I could easily
    support outlawing fixies without brakes.

    There are some hills around my house that I cannot climb, even at zero mph,
    because even with all my weight, I don't weigh enough to push hard enough
    on the pedals.

    Perhaps there is a different technique for climibing with a fixie bike?

    Momentum momentum momentum, get it and don't let it go. Also, you can
    get quite a bit of extra umph by using the complete pedal stroke.
    Concentrate on pulling the pedals backwards at the bottom of the stroke
    (a lot like a walking/running stride), pulling up on the return stroke,
    and then push it over the top. It's really suprising how much of the
    rotation is wasted when you aren't thinking about it, and eventually it
    becomes natural to use the whole thing.

    I had a real tough time the first few weeks fixed but wasn't willing to
    sacrifice top speed for comfort going up the hills. Now my 48/16 feels
    almost snappy off the line and most hills aren't an issue. The hills
    here are pretty mild and there is usually nice flats in between.

    Another thing you can do is lower the gearing temporarily and increment
    it up the size you are after. Your knees would probably thank you for it.

  8. Quoted message said:

    Ok, I just got my first fixie bike, and it has a 46/16 setup (~75 gear inches?).
    I quickly found out how important it is to have real brakes -- I could easily
    support outlawing fixies without brakes.

    There are some hills around my house that I cannot climb, even at zero mph,
    because even with all my weight, I don't weigh enough to push hard enough
    on the pedals.

    I can easily climb these hills on my unicycle, but the uni is fixed at about
    25 gear inches.

    Perhaps there is a different technique for climibing with a fixie bike?

    Try putting on some extra weight :-)

    46x16 is, as everybody else has already said, pretty tall for a
    general ambling about ride, bear in mind that we start the racing
    season on 72".

    If your weight won't push the pedal down, try pulling the other one
    up; this also let's you push down on the lead pedal with more than
    your weight.

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    Ok, I just got my first fixie bike, and it has a 46/16 setup (~75 gear
    inches?).
    I quickly found out how important it is to have real brakes -- I could easily
    support outlawing fixies without brakes.

    There are some hills around my house that I cannot climb, even at zero mph,
    because even with all my weight, I don't weigh enough to push hard enough
    on the pedals.

    I can easily climb these hills on my unicycle, but the uni is fixed at about
    25 gear inches.

    Perhaps there is a different technique for climibing with a fixie bike?

    As others have noted, you would do well to opt for a larger cog or
    smaller chainring. Also hb, have you installed clipless pedals? They
    will allow you to muscle up hills that wouldn't be possible with
    (strapless) platform pedals.

    luke

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Werehatrack said:
    Quoted message said:

    There are some hills around my house that I cannot climb, even at zero mph,
    because even with all my weight, I don't weigh enough to push hard enough
    on the pedals.

    I can easily climb these hills on my unicycle, but the uni is fixed at about
    25 gear inches.

    Perhaps there is a different technique for climibing with a fixie bike?

    If your weight won't move you forward on the grade, the gear is too
    tall. 46/16 is pretty high; I'd cut back to a 40 or 42 front with a
    16 rear, maybe lower if your terrain is really hilly. You have to be
    careful about that, though; if the gear-inch figure goes too low,
    you'll find it hard to keep up with the crank when going *downhill*.

    For an insufficiently brief, rather stupid period of time, my fixie had
    52x16 gearing. Down steep hills, the problem with really tall gears is
    that you can barely slow the pedals down. It's probably more unpleasant
    than trying to keep up with the spin of a low-geared bike, though either
    way I run caliper brakes on my road fixie.

    I'm running 40x16 right now, and that's pretty pleasant gearing. Makes
    me spin properly. Feels relaxed.

    Quoted message said:

    (I will note without further comment that all of these are reasons why
    multi-gear bikes exist.)

    Oh sure. But there is something fun about fixed. I think I'll try riding
    my fixie to work one of these days. Hitting the hills should be an
    adventure.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com
    Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

  11. hbaker-<< Ok, I just got my first fixie bike, and it has a 46/16 setup

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <BR><BR>

    Yowser, BIG gear. Can you ride around on the flats at 85rpm or so?

    I use a 42/16, front brake only.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  12. [email hidden] wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Ok, I just got my first fixie bike, and it has a 46/16 setup (~75 gear inches?).
    I quickly found out how important it is to have real brakes -- I could easily
    support outlawing fixies without brakes.

    There are some hills around my house that I cannot climb, even at zero mph,
    because even with all my weight, I don't weigh enough to push hard enough
    on the pedals.

    I can easily climb these hills on my unicycle, but the uni is fixed at about
    25 gear inches.

    Perhaps there is a different technique for climibing with a fixie bike?

    Others have given you good suggestions. Let me add one thing. What I
    did was ride a regular multi-gear road bike on the steepest and
    longest hills that I planned on riding on the fixed gear. I tried to
    find what gear I could barely make it up the hill. I setup my fixed
    gear with gearing just slightly taller than that (the fixed gear being
    a bit more efficient).

    I live in a very hilly area. I would mention what gearing I have on
    my bike but every time I do I get flamed by regular posters who don't
    live in my area telling me that my gearing is too low.

    Tom

  13. In article <[email hidden]>, Ryan
    Cousineau <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Feels relaxed.


    <snip>

    For me, you've hit upon the essence of riding of fixie. If there was
    one word to sum up the pleasure of the experience it would be
    'relaxing'. Regardless of much I'm in a rush, riding the fixie always
    seems to exert a calming influence.

    🙂
    luke

  14. "Luke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,


    Ryan

    Quoted message said:

    Cousineau <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Feels relaxed.


    <snip>

    For me, you've hit upon the essence of riding of fixie. If


    there was

    Quoted message said:

    one word to sum up the pleasure of the experience it would be
    'relaxing'. Regardless of much I'm in a rush, riding the fixie


    always

    Quoted message said:

    seems to exert a calming influence.

    Yah, except when you are coming down the 8% hills you just
    climbed. My legs can no longer handle the flailing on the down
    hills, and I like to get some speed going down -- so I am not
    going to ride the brakes the whole way. Great for flat to
    semi-flat, though. -- Jay Beattie.

  15. 38 x 18 for commuting, front brake only. . .

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    hbaker-<< Ok, I just got my first fixie bike, and it has a 46/16 setup

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <BR><BR>

    Yowser, BIG gear. Can you ride around on the flats at 85rpm or so?

    I use a 42/16, front brake only.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  16. Quoted message said:

    Stand, pull up on bars, pull up on opposite foot,
    zig-zag (traffic permitting).

    +1. I'm riding 47x15--82.7 gear inches according to Sheldon Brown's
    calculator. I stand, scoop, and pull up on the bars (bullhorns makes
    this easier). Pulling is required, especially for flyweights (I'm
    ~135#). On steep climbs, my abs feel like they're working as much as
    my legs.

    So far the fixie's handled any hill the cross bike (38x27) could--of
    course the fixie is ~3# lighter.

    Cheers,
    Dave

  17. Dave said:

    I'm riding 47x15--82.7 gear inches according to Sheldon Brown's
    calculator. I stand, scoop, and pull up on the bars (bullhorns makes
    this easier)

    What does "scoop" mean in this context? I haven't heard of that term
    before.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

  18. "Sven Longren" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    38 x 18 for commuting, front brake only. . .

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    hbaker-<< Ok, I just got my first fixie bike, and it has a 46/16 setup

    Quoted message said:

    ><BR><BR>

    Yowser, BIG gear. Can you ride around on the flats at 85rpm or so?

    I use a 42/16, front brake only.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"


    46 x 17 (73.0) I do have to stand when I climb the steep hills.
    I see more and more fixed and single speeds around campus lately.
    -tom

  19. "Terry Morse" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dave said:

    I'm riding 47x15--82.7 gear inches according to Sheldon Brown's
    calculator. I stand, scoop, and pull up on the bars (bullhorns makes
    this easier)

    What does "scoop" mean in this context? I haven't heard of that term
    before.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

    Terry,
    I think it means you really got to dig down deep on the steep climbs.
    Hard to explain, but when you have only one gear on a very steep hill, and
    you're square on your pedals, you'll understand. .

  20. Lots of good comments so far.

    I'd like to add that wide handlebars help lots on climbs - I can get
    lots more leverage when I'm climbing than with the narrow bars that
    were formerly on my late 70s bike. I went from maybe 34cm to 42cm or
    so.

    I also start charging a couple of seconds before the road bends up and
    then try to keep the revs up.

    Erik Brooks, 68" in hilly Seattle

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.