Rhubarb said:In my experience its hard to simulate hills, as there is no cheating a hill. You have to work or you stop and fall over.
I don't envy your position.
Is it windy where you live? Working into strong head winds can be as demanding and relentless as good climbs.
My only other suggestion is to get a power meter and ride in a gear that equals the wattage you would be doing up a hill and sustain for 20 - 30 minutes (or however long the hills you want to simulate would take to climb). Recover and repeat.
I don't think doing weights rather than riding is going to make you a good climber.
Best.
I am working on a training peaks program for 275w but that is not a lot of fun trying to hold 20 & 30 min at that level , seems more like racing more then work. I gather from the post on weights that more time on the bike is the way to go.
I was thinking power cranks might be the best alternate solution ?
Plywood might work but look a bit dorky bungied to my back.:eek: