Climbing. What am I doing wrong?

I'm pretty sure a compact crank will fit, so you're doing the math for a 39x29 vs. 34x29 (or 30x29, if you opted for a triple of some sort). So that's what, 35.5" vs. 30.9" vs. 27.3"....getting pretty low there.

Technique-wise, climbing in the saddle is more efficient than climbing out of the saddle, but, out of the saddle generates more power (you just get tired sooner that's all). Maybe on the lesser hills you can practice some climbing intervals to build up your climbing stamina like Michael suggested.

Jaguar27 said:
I really need some help here...
Take into account that I'm 50, 6ft and 200 Lbs, so yeah, I know which part to work on and I'll never be a "Climber"...
But here's where you Guys come in...
I do a Saturday morning ride, 22.8 miles, a lot of loooong rolling climbs, I have no problem with those...I can simply spin up them, patience is all that's needed really, but then, around 3/4 of the way into the ride I hit my Wall, maaannnn...it's steep, probaly around 7% (don't laugh, that's steep to me) but the hardest part is it's so flippin' LONG...about a mile, maybe a bit less...

The problem is, although I have the biggest rear Cassette Campy make, I can't spin up this one , here I am, down to 5mph...maybe a 20 cadence? I can't remember exactly....plus I concentrate on breathing out, try and use different muscle groups on the way up (I run out half way)...and there I am, down to 5mph...I reach the top and I feel so good, dizzy and out of breath but good, I console myself with the fact that I actually made it...

It's so steep that Cars honk their horns...people on the way down point and laugh...

PLEASE Help me do it faster!! :eek:
there are articles on how to train yourself to climb faster...
www.bicyclingmagazine.com

also articles on how to train for a century etc...

Crank length. Good pickup guys. Jaguar, you better consider the crank length when going to a compact crank, as it may be smaller and partially negate the benifits of the lower gearing.

Longer crank = more leaverage but less spin speed
Shorter crank = less leaverage but more spin speed

So if you are using shorter cranks, you use a lower gear and if you are using longer cranks you are using a higher gear. Which means that if you were to get longer cranks, you could stick to your existing gearing.

Thanks for all the replies Guys, you've been great....I've read them all and you all offer some valuable advice...I'll let you know how it goes.
;)

Find a different route or even two and ride them for a while. I'm not saying easier routes, just different ones. I find that when I go back I seem to do better. You could also find a harder climb. After doing the harder climb the one that was giving you trouble will seem like nothing.

Well, I did my Climb again today, I originaly said my Cadence was 20, but today I watched it and it was 50 at it's lowest....it just "felt" like 20 :mad:

One thing I've always noticed since I've been back on the Bike (since July 03) is how fast one can improve if you keep working at it...it's mostly psychological in my case, I think "well, I did it last week, so I can do it again"...

I decided to relax, take it easy, look down, not up and just keep my Cadence high enough to reach the top....

Another factor which came made a difference today was that a young Girl passed me on a road Bike, she beat me to the top by about 30 seconds I guess, she stopped at the top for a breather and was hunched over the bars....that was me the last few times I did it...don't get me wrong, I'm not critiscising her in anyway...she was waaaaaayyyy faster than me...a great climber...but this time I stayed on the Bike, went over the top and recovered on the descent over the other side...

So yeah, today it was...errmmm..easier...it took just over 5 mins to do the mile up...so now I just have to continue working at it....if I could just lose 50 Lbs I'd be climbing like a Monkey...a skinny one... ;)