'clip on' bike racks

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Andrew, May 9, 2004.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Hi,
    I'm chasing a bike rack that can be clipped onto the back of a hatchback
    (Laser trio) that can carry 2 bikes (1 road, 1 hybrid). So far I've found
    the Thule ones for $200-300,
    (http://www.ettalongbikeshop.com.au/catalogue/group/65/2/Bike_Racks ), but
    are there other brands that are worth investigating? I'm in Brisbane, but
    don't mind ordering off the net.

    Andrew.

    Tags:

  2. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm chasing a bike rack that can be clipped onto the back of a hatchback
    > (Laser trio) that can carry 2 bikes (1 road, 1 hybrid). So far I've found
    > the Thule ones for $200-300,
    > (http://www.ettalongbikeshop.com.au/catalogue/group/65/2/Bike_Racks ), but
    > are there other brands that are worth investigating? I'm in Brisbane, but
    > don't mind ordering off the net.
    >
    > Andrew.

    At that cost it might be cheaper to get a tow bar added and a normal
    bike rack. My experience with the strap on rack (not sure what brand)
    was mostly bad. The rack worked fine on a sedan, But on the hatch it was
    all over the place because there's a limit to how much pressure you want
    on the rear window. The day I looked in the rear view mirror to see the
    bikes swinging around the side of the car on a round about was the day
    the strap on rack got retired.

    DaveB.

  3. Spider1977

    Spider1977 Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > Hi, I'm chasing a bike rack that can be clipped onto the back of a
    > hatchback (Laser trio) that can carry 2 bikes (1 road, 1 hybrid). So far
    > I've found the Thule ones for $200- 300, (http://www.ettalongbikeshop.com.au/catalogue/group/-
    > http://www.ettalongbikeshop.com.au/catalogue/group/-
    > 65/2/Bike_Racks ), but are there other brands that are worth
    > investigating? I'm in Brisbane, but don't mind ordering off the
    > net.
    > Andrew.

    Andrew,

    May need to get a new car (lol)! I had a rack which attached to the
    towball. Quickly ditched it after driving over a gravel road and getting
    some little pock marks in my lovely Ksyrium wheels. Still haven't
    recovered fully from the shock :mad: I went out and bought a shiny new
    Thule roof clip-on gismo which cost a fortune ($165) but I already had
    Thule racks. Now I look like one of those surfers with the board
    permanently attached to the car. Get a few friendly waves from other
    cycle rackers on the road ;)

    --

  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm chasing a bike rack that can be clipped onto the back of a hatchback
    > (Laser trio) that can carry 2 bikes (1 road, 1 hybrid). So far I've found
    > the Thule ones for $200-300,

    Ouch! I paid about $50 for mine, and its done many thousands of km with
    2 MTBs. Hopefully you can find something similar locally. Try the
    car-parts shops, like Marlows.

    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...79&PRODUCT<>prd_id=134953&bmUID=1084239850634

    MEC can be expensive for delivery though. Maybe try some other
    bike/car/outdoors online shops.

  5. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    $50! Bargain. Where?

    That site is Canadian and lists it at CAN$45 which is almost the same in
    AUD$, but freight is $50.

    I can't find that model on any .au sites, only the towbar ones, under the
    Rhino-Rack name.

    Marlows = Super Cheap Auto?

    How do you find it as far as the bike swinging backwards and forwards? It
    looks as if there's nothing to stop that. (Actually, is yours a MEC? If not,
    what is it, and where did you get it?)

    Thanks for all replies so far, I'll keep looking.

    Andrew.

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ouch! I paid about $50 for mine, and its done many thousands of km with
    > 2 MTBs. Hopefully you can find something similar locally. Try the
    > car-parts shops, like Marlows.

    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...79&PRODUCT<>prd_id=134953&bmUID=1084239850634

    > MEC can be expensive for delivery though. Maybe try some other
    > bike/car/outdoors online shops.

  6. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Found one on sale in MEL at a large bike specialty shop. $95 in 1Q2003.
    A 3-bike model. Works Very Well, sturdy. It has been a while since I
    bought
    it, and there is no name on the frame.... full list was only $120! Other
    models
    went near $200 but did not seem to have anything better for the extra $$.
    In
    my case, cheap was very good. YMMV

    JS

  7. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > $50! Bargain. Where?

    Canada, from MEC. But its made in China. I would expect something
    similar here.

    > That site is Canadian and lists it at CAN$45 which is almost the same in
    > AUD$, but freight is $50.

    As I said, MEC are too pricy for delivery. There are many other online
    sites cheaper, but a bike rack is probably too big to post.

    See my recent mail-order thread for advice given. I went to aebike.com.

    > Marlows = Super Cheap Auto?

    Sounds like the sort of place. What about the car section in K-mart/Big-W ?

    > How do you find it as far as the bike swinging backwards and forwards?

    Tie it on with straps and/or bungees. No problem.
    For long drives, I put the wheels inside the car, to cut drag.