'clip on' bike racks

Andrew wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm chasing a bike rack that can be clipped onto the back of a hatchback
> (Laser trio) that can carry 2 bikes (1 road, 1 hybrid). So far I've found
> the Thule ones for $200-300,
> (http://www.ettalongbikeshop.com.au/catalogue/group/65/2/Bike_Racks ), but
> are there other brands that are worth investigating? I'm in Brisbane, but
> don't mind ordering off the net.
>
> Andrew.

At that cost it might be cheaper to get a tow bar added and a normal
bike rack. My experience with the strap on rack (not sure what brand)
was mostly bad. The rack worked fine on a sedan, But on the hatch it was
all over the place because there's a limit to how much pressure you want
on the rear window. The day I looked in the rear view mirror to see the
bikes swinging around the side of the car on a round about was the day
the strap on rack got retired.

DaveB.

Andrew wrote:
> Hi, I'm chasing a bike rack that can be clipped onto the back of a
> hatchback (Laser trio) that can carry 2 bikes (1 road, 1 hybrid). So far
> I've found the Thule ones for $200- 300, (http://www.ettalongbikeshop.com.au/catalogue/group/-
> http://www.ettalongbikeshop.com.au/catalogue/group/-
> 65/2/Bike_Racks ), but are there other brands that are worth
> investigating? I'm in Brisbane, but don't mind ordering off the
> net.
> Andrew.

Andrew,

May need to get a new car (lol)! I had a rack which attached to the
towball. Quickly ditched it after driving over a gravel road and getting
some little pock marks in my lovely Ksyrium wheels. Still haven't
recovered fully from the shock :mad: I went out and bought a shiny new
Thule roof clip-on gismo which cost a fortune ($165) but I already had
Thule racks. Now I look like one of those surfers with the board
permanently attached to the car. Get a few friendly waves from other
cycle rackers on the road ;)

--

Andrew wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm chasing a bike rack that can be clipped onto the back of a hatchback
> (Laser trio) that can carry 2 bikes (1 road, 1 hybrid). So far I've found
> the Thule ones for $200-300,

Ouch! I paid about $50 for mine, and its done many thousands of km with
2 MTBs. Hopefully you can find something similar locally. Try the
car-parts shops, like Marlows.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...79&PRODUCT<>prd_id=134953&bmUID=1084239850634

MEC can be expensive for delivery though. Maybe try some other
bike/car/outdoors online shops.

$50! Bargain. Where?

That site is Canadian and lists it at CAN$45 which is almost the same in
AUD$, but freight is $50.

I can't find that model on any .au sites, only the towbar ones, under the
Rhino-Rack name.

Marlows = Super Cheap Auto?

How do you find it as far as the bike swinging backwards and forwards? It
looks as if there's nothing to stop that. (Actually, is yours a MEC? If not,
what is it, and where did you get it?)

Thanks for all replies so far, I'll keep looking.

Andrew.

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ouch! I paid about $50 for mine, and its done many thousands of km with
> 2 MTBs. Hopefully you can find something similar locally. Try the
> car-parts shops, like Marlows.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...79&PRODUCT<>prd_id=134953&bmUID=1084239850634

> MEC can be expensive for delivery though. Maybe try some other
> bike/car/outdoors online shops.

Found one on sale in MEL at a large bike specialty shop. $95 in 1Q2003.
A 3-bike model. Works Very Well, sturdy. It has been a while since I
bought
it, and there is no name on the frame.... full list was only $120! Other
models
went near $200 but did not seem to have anything better for the extra $$.
In
my case, cheap was very good. YMMV

JS

Andrew wrote:
> $50! Bargain. Where?

Canada, from MEC. But its made in China. I would expect something
similar here.

> That site is Canadian and lists it at CAN$45 which is almost the same in
> AUD$, but freight is $50.

As I said, MEC are too pricy for delivery. There are many other online
sites cheaper, but a bike rack is probably too big to post.

See my recent mail-order thread for advice given. I went to aebike.com.

> Marlows = Super Cheap Auto?

Sounds like the sort of place. What about the car section in K-mart/Big-W ?

> How do you find it as far as the bike swinging backwards and forwards?

Tie it on with straps and/or bungees. No problem.
For long drives, I put the wheels inside the car, to cut drag.