Clipless on Trek hybrid - yes or no

carsnoceans

Jul 24, 2010
I am a newbie clydesdale rider on Trek 7.2FX hybrid. I dont commute on the bike or rider around the town... mostly take it out on evenings or weekend for ride on paved routes only. I bought this bike couple of years ago when I lived in Chicago and thought I might ride it into the city (thus not the road bike). However that never really happened and I just do riding on paved trails

My current pace is about 12mi/hr consistently. Of course the fit and seasoned riders on roadies zoom past me like I was on a stationary bike. Would going clipless on the hybrid be helpful or given my style/choice of riding I should look into an entry level road bike?

I do feel that clipless pedals would look pretty stupid on an unfitted hybrid bike going at a slow pace. Should I wait until my fitness is improved and just upgrade the bike or go for the pedals now?

You didn't mention what type of shoes you currently ride with, but here's a thought for you:

You could go ahead and put a set of clipless road bike pedals on your hybrid, and purchase a set of good road shoes to go with them.

This would allow you to get used to the clipless pedals on a bike you are already familier with.

Then if you decide to purchase a road bike at a later date, you can put your clipless pedals on the new road bike, and put the original pedals back on the hybrid. Or buy another set of pedals if you decide to keep the hybrid too.

Clipless pedals won't look stupid on a hybrid bike, don't worry about that.

I have clipless MTB pedals (SPDs) on my hybrid which I often take on crushed gravel trails and some non-technical off-road sections, and road pedals on my road bike.

If you want to do any riding on unpaved surfaces, and think you might have to dismount on occasion, you might like mountain shoes more than road shoes. Just a thought.

But "no", clipless pedals won't look funny on your hybrid!!!

Do your own thing, ride your own pace. You are the only one you have to compete
with.

I have clipless on my hybrid commuter. Makes riding better IMO. I use a SPD MTB style clip taht is imbedded into a platform style pedal, so if I don't want to clip in I still have a standard pedal. Great for commuting around town and for rides where I have to unclip a lot. Shimano and other make them.

TKOS said:
I have clipless on my hybrid commuter. Makes riding better IMO. I use a SPD MTB style clip taht is imbedded into a platform style pedal, so if I don't want to clip in I still have a standard pedal. Great for commuting around town and for rides where I have to unclip a lot. Shimano and other make them.

Does it actually make any difference on speed or power? Although I understand most of it is gonna come from increasing my fitness level but would these help me maintain a better pace or increase efficiency so I can go longer distances?

carsnoceans said:
Does it actually make any difference on speed or power? Although I understand most of it is gonna come from increasing my fitness level but would these help me maintain a better pace or increase efficiency so I can go longer distances?

Probably. It'll definitely help you when climbing, and with getting around obstacles, and general bike handling "stuff". You'll like them. And once you get used to them, you won't be able to go back. Riding a bike not clipped in will make you feel like a fish out of water :)

Well, it does help with power and speed, or the pros wouldn't bother using them. Will it help you? Hard to say, I don't know how you ride. It certainly makes me pedal different those days I don't have bike shoes on and just regular sneakers. A lot less pull, far more push.