Road Cycling · Public discussion

Clipless Pedals - How Much Improvement?

Started by Jim Moore · · Last activity · 21 posts · 39,351 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
14 April 2011
Last activity
16 January 2017
Original author
Jim Moore
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
39,351
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–21 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Jim Moore said:

    I'm thinking about getting some clipless pedals. The guys at the lbs say I'll be "20%-30% more efficient." I'm not sure how that relates to speed. Can you folks quantify that a little better / differently for me? How much difference will it make to my average speed? For instance, last night I averaged right at 18.0 mph for an hour. How much faster (roughly) would I be with clipless pedals? I'm just looking for a ballpark figure. Anecdotal stories would be great also.

    Thanks,

    Jim Moore
    Jax, FL

    You probably got it figured out already. There are not many studies available. On a normal tour I think you gain 5-10 %, only for short distances you can use active pull pedaling, good for us uphill. The gain is then 86% for professionals, 51% for non cyklists.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.