UK and Europe · Public discussion

Clothes for falling off in: any recommendations?

Started by Simon Brooke · · Last activity · 12 posts · 652 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
5 July 2005
Last activity
6 July 2005
Original author
Simon Brooke
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
652
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I fall off too often, and just at present both my legs are such a mess of
    scrapes and grazes that I really can't do any interesting off-road
    riding for fear of messing them up worse.

    I don't want to wear body armour - I want to be able to ride my bike up
    hills as well as down them. But there must be something that's a bit
    more protective than just lycra when you're sliding down yet another bit
    of rock, without going the whole hog to armour.

    Wiggle are doing a special on these today:
    <URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5220000201>
    Are they any good? Has anyone tried them? Can you actually ride in them
    or are they just for downhillers?

    Can you get lycra tights with cordura or something like it on the knees
    and shins and seat?

    Any recommendations, in fact, for clothes for falling off in?

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Usenet: like distance learning without the learning.

  2. Simon Brooke said:

    I fall off too often, and just at present both my legs are such a mess of
    scrapes and grazes that I really can't do any interesting off-road
    riding for fear of messing them up worse.

    I don't want to wear body armour - I want to be able to ride my bike up
    hills as well as down them. But there must be something that's a bit
    more protective than just lycra when you're sliding down yet another bit
    of rock, without going the whole hog to armour.

    Wiggle are doing a special on these today:
    <URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5220000201>
    Are they any good? Has anyone tried them? Can you actually ride in them
    or are they just for downhillers?

    Can you get lycra tights with cordura or something like it on the knees
    and shins and seat?

    Any recommendations, in fact, for clothes for falling off in?


    Have you tried two layers of lycra? This works rather well because the
    top one slides over the bottom one rather than your skin.

  3. I bought the Endura free ride pants from Wiggle, same offer, to ride
    throught the winter. They are fine. A bit too heavy for summer going but are
    good for the rest of the year.

    Geoff
    "Simon Brooke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I fall off too often, and just at present both my legs are such a mess of
    scrapes and grazes that I really can't do any interesting off-road
    riding for fear of messing them up worse.

    I don't want to wear body armour - I want to be able to ride my bike up
    hills as well as down them. But there must be something that's a bit
    more protective than just lycra when you're sliding down yet another bit
    of rock, without going the whole hog to armour.

    Wiggle are doing a special on these today:
    <URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5220000201>
    Are they any good? Has anyone tried them? Can you actually ride in them
    or are they just for downhillers?

    Can you get lycra tights with cordura or something like it on the knees
    and shins and seat?

    Any recommendations, in fact, for clothes for falling off in?

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Usenet: like distance learning without the learning.

  4. Zog said:

    Have you tried two layers of lycra? This works rather well because the
    top one slides over the bottom one rather than your skin.

    I've found my Endura MT500 shorts to be quite good at taking the edge off
    falling onto one's hips. The shorts have two-layer side panels and the
    stitching is generally stronger than the material.

    Is there an equivalent "MT500" top, perhaps with twin layer construction
    around the shoulders or elbows?

    Becky

  5. arellcat said:
    Zog said:

    Have you tried two layers of lycra? This works rather well because the
    top one slides over the bottom one rather than your skin.

    I've found my Endura MT500 shorts to be quite good at taking the edge off
    falling onto one's hips. The shorts have two-layer side panels and the
    stitching is generally stronger than the material.

    Is there an equivalent "MT500" top, perhaps with twin layer construction
    around the shoulders or elbows?

    Becky


    The MT500 top has "toughened" sleeves.

    druidh

  6. Simon Brooke said:

    I fall off too often, and just at present both my legs are such a mess of
    scrapes and grazes that I really can't do any interesting off-road
    riding for fear of messing them up worse.

    I don't want to wear body armour - I want to be able to ride my bike up
    hills as well as down them. But there must be something that's a bit
    more protective than just lycra when you're sliding down yet another bit
    of rock, without going the whole hog to armour.

    Loose jeans over the top?

    R.

  7. in message <[email hidden]>, arellcat

    (') said:
    Zog said:

    Have you tried two layers of lycra? This works rather well because
    the top one slides over the bottom one rather than your skin.

    I've found my Endura MT500 shorts to be quite good at taking the edge
    off
    falling onto one's hips. The shorts have two-layer side panels and the
    stitching is generally stronger than the material.

    Is there an equivalent "MT500" top, perhaps with twin layer
    construction around the shoulders or elbows?

    Thanks, I'll have a look. It tends to be my knees and shins that get it
    worst, though :-(

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    ;; If Python is executable pseudocode,
    ;; then Perl is executable line noise
    -- seen on Slashdot.

  8. On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 09:12:15 +0100, Simon Brooke <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks, I'll have a look. It tends to be my knees and shins that get it
    worst, though :-(

    For sparring in Taekwon-do I wear shin guards like the ones on this
    page:

    http://www.martialartshop.co.uk/martial_art_sparring_equipment.htm

    They're not hard and inflexible like footy shin pads or body armour
    (otherwise you'd hurt your opponent). They also seem to be a lot
    cheaper than MTB shin pads, although they probably lack the "cool"
    factor.

    "Proper" knee protection would seem sensible though - even a small
    knee injury can keep you out of action for weeks.

    --
    jc

  9. CSC yellow skinsuit?
    ;-)

  10. MartinM said:

    CSC yellow skinsuit?
    ;-)


    Hmmmmm A little cruel 🙂

    My Dad always said to crash motorcycles in winter. Usually you are
    wearing lots and dont get hurt

    On the other hand it is possible to write of your entire wardrobe in one
    fall. Sara would say in my case this was little loss 🙁

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, dave

    Quoted message said:
    MartinM said:

    CSC yellow skinsuit?
    ;-)


    Hmmmmm A little cruel 🙂

    My Dad always said to crash motorcycles in winter. Usually you are
    wearing lots and dont get hurt

    On the other hand it is possible to write of your entire wardrobe in one
    fall. Sara would say in my case this was little loss 🙁

    ;-)

  12. "arellcat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Zog said:

    Have you tried two layers of lycra? This works rather well because the
    top one slides over the bottom one rather than your skin.

    I've found my Endura MT500 shorts to be quite good at taking the edge off
    falling onto one's hips. The shorts have two-layer side panels and the
    stitching is generally stronger than the material.

    Is there an equivalent "MT500" top, perhaps with twin layer construction
    around the shoulders or elbows?

    I have an Altura Altitude top with heavy weight elbow patches which create a
    double layer, Wiggle have them on their site. It is classed as a winter top
    and although not particularly heavy would be too much on a hot day.

    --
    Pete
    http:[email hidden]/P

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.