Clyde rider for new road bike

carsnoceans

Jul 24, 2010
I am looking to get my first road bike... been doing a indoor group spinning 3x per week and weekend ride of 20-25mi on my steel frame trek hybrid. I think moving to a road bike might be a nice mix and given the end of year, older models are discounted.

So far, I have checked out - Fuji roubaix (at performance bike outlet), Cannondale CAAD9/CAAD10, Specialized Allez, Cervelo at LBS. Needless to say Cervelo is more than what I am looking for right now... I would ideally like to keep it under $1000 but some cyclist friends say it won't be possible to go in that range without compromising on frame and component quality. LBS sales guy spoke highly of CAAD10 model but it seems RS10 rims don't have a good reputation on the internet reviews.

I am planning to go for few test rides during next week... what should I be looking at during the ride (besides comfort)? Anything in specific? I have no experience on road bikes! Any comments on the Cannondale CAAD and Specialized Allez would be much appreciated as well.

Many thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by carsnoceans .

I am looking to get my first road bike... been doing a indoor group spinning 3x per week and weekend ride of 20-25mi on my steel frame trek hybrid. I think moving to a road bike might be a nice mix and given the end of year, older models are discounted.

So far, I have checked out - Fuji roubaix (at performance bike outlet), Cannondale CAAD9/CAAD10, Specialized Allez, Cervelo at LBS. Needless to say Cervelo is more than what I am looking for right now... I would ideally like to keep it under $1000 but some cyclist friends say it won't be possible to go in that range without compromising on frame and component quality. LBS sales guy spoke highly of CAAD10 model but it seems RS10 rims don't have a good reputation on the internet reviews.

I am planning to go for few test rides during next week... what should I be looking at during the ride (besides comfort)? Anything in specific? I have no experience on road bikes! Any comments on the Cannondale CAAD and Specialized Allez would be much appreciated as well.

Many thanks for the help.

For a heavier guy I'd say that most pre-built wheels, like the RS-10 or the Mavic Askium, which will likely be on bikes in your price range, ain't going to be all that great for you. Pick the bike you like, sells the wheels (keeping the cassette and tires/tubes) and get some 36 spoke wheels that'll be near bombproof - not the most fashionable but they'll not be leaving you at the side of the road needing $20 to $60 out of pocket for an expensive spoke repair. Something along the lines of 105 or Ultegra hubs and Velocity A23 rim (23mm) - 36 spoke. You'll need to find a pothole the size of Texas and hit it at 50mph to break it.

IMHO - "fashionable bike bits" look ace when the bike is propped up against a wall but have a tendancy to leave you standing at the side of the road when you need them the most. IF you only have the one bike to rely on then function must come first.

The other problem with wheels like the RS-10 for Clydes is that they'll flex so much that when you're out of the saddle they'll rub the brake blocks - that aint gonna happen with a wheel with the rigidty of a 36 spoke wheel - especially if you go with plain gauge spokes.

The Velocity A23 rim is a wider version of the popular (and reliable) Aerohead rim and has just been released. The Velocity Dyad rim is another possible contender - it's 24mm wide and strong enough for loaded touring bikes and the rim weight is sub 500grams.

I forgot to add about my phsique... I am 220lbs and 6'0". Will not be doing aggressive riding or commuting. Mostly weekend riding until the weather is still fair.

I've been riding a 2010 CAAD9-5 and could not be happier with it. FYI, I am little lighter than you (200lbs). I agree with Swampy about the RS-10 wheels as far as flex goes. For me its only a small amount of flex at times, but not enough for me to replace the wheelset. (although I will use that excuse to justify upgrading the wheels in the future). When purchasing the bike, I, too, was concerned about the wheels, but my LBS assured me that they have yet to hear of anyone breaking spokes. I have hit some holes at speed and both wheels are still true.

look at this bike, only $399.95

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/CELL-Apache-the-BEST-Beginner-Road-Bike-in-the-World-for-the-Money

I am getting a Marin Stelvio with all 105 for $1800. Never heard of the brand but it was a decent test ride... yay or nay on the brand? Could I do better in this price range?

I am getting a Marin Stelvio with all 105 for $1800. Never heard of the brand but it was a decent test ride... yay or nay on the brand? Could I do better in this price range?

Marin were one of the pioneering mountain bike companies back in the day and have been around for a while - and this is reflected in the name as they're located in Marin county, which is on the other side of the Golden Gate bridge from San Francisco. Mt Tam, in Marin county, is where it (mountain bikes) all started. I couldn't say what their road bikes are like, as I've never ridden one but the specs look pretty good. There aren't that many bad bikes around in that price range and I'd argue that with a change of wheels you could race that bike at nearly any level. The frame 'sounds' like it should be OK as long as it fits, the 105 groupset is basically Ultegra quality and the wheels will make great training wheels - strong and reliable.

But... The new Cannondale CAAD10 is out and with 105 it's $300 cheaper than the Marin. I don't like SRAM stuff and the folks I know who have the Rival groupset seem to the fiddling with it more than seems necessary so I'd skip the CAAD10 that's the same price as the Marin with the Rival.

If you're looking at $1,800ish - I don't think finding a 2010 model Cannondale SuperSix 5 on clearence, with the '11 models coming out, would be too difficult for about that money.

I almost bought a CAAD9... almost... as it felt better than alot of very exotic stuff that I'd test ridden like the Specialized S-Works SL2 (couldn't find an SL3) and Trek Madone 6.7. To be honest I thought the Trek felt like a slab of wood... but I ended up getting a SuperSix Hi-Mod which just took the nod from a Cervelo R3. From what I read the CAAD10 is better than the CAAD9 and the Cannondale warranty is pretty good. Check it out, I think you'll be impressed. The few Cannondales that I'd ridden have a very lively feel and just beg to be thrown into corners while being very forgiving when riding over roughish roads.

Of course, if you wait until January, there'll be a boat load of stuff on sale... 11 weeks?

Swampy, I am totally with you on Trek. I tried 3.1 and 4.5... although somewhat entry lvl but they did not live-up to expectation of "Madone" series. On my trial rides, I found Marin to be better fit and comfortable versus the Caad 10-4. How is the quality on Orbea Onix? There might be a possibility that LBS has a '09 model for about $2.2K... all Ultegra!! Not that I need it as a newbie rider but I won't be needing to upgrade anything for a while. Should I look into the discounted Orbea or save my money for pedals and shows?

Another thing... weight on Marin Stelvio and Orbea Onix was similar after the pedals and aired tires (around 19lbs and some ounces!!). Components don't seem to be making that much of a weight difference here. Will someone enlighten me why this might be? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif

Swampy, I am totally with you on Trek. I tried 3.1 and 4.5... although somewhat entry lvl but they did not live-up to expectation of "Madone" series. On my trial rides, I found Marin to be better fit and comfortable versus the Caad 10-4. How is the quality on Orbea Onix? There might be a possibility that LBS has a '09 model for about $2.2K... all Ultegra!! Not that I need it as a newbie rider but I won't be needing to upgrade anything for a while. Should I look into the discounted Orbea or save my money for pedals and shows?

Another thing... weight on Marin Stelvio and Orbea Onix was similar after the pedals and aired tires (around 19lbs and some ounces!!). Components don't seem to be making that much of a weight difference here. Will someone enlighten me why this might be? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif

Dont get yourself to caught up in weight of the components. Weight is an overated spec of a road bike. Also I am amazed that you started this post looking for a bike under a grand and now you are posting about bikes at 2.2 grand. Do you currently own a bike? If so then what are you really looking for?

Originally Posted by davereo .

Dont get yourself to caught up in weight of the components. Weight is an overated spec of a road bike. Also I am amazed that you started this post looking for a bike under a grand and now you are posting about bikes at 2.2 grand. Do you currently own a bike? If so then what are you really looking for?
Davereo, I am a bit surprised too about my jump in price range. When I started, i had no idea about cost/experience on road bikes and was basing the price looking at stuff on Ebay. Three weeks, 9 test rides and hours of research later its a change in opinion. I have spent a good bit of time skimming forums, talking to LBS folks and talking to coworkers (serious riders and ironman triathletes for guidance)... $1000 didn't seem to be cutting it anyone's opinion. Also, weight of the components is not my focus but its something that couple of LBS sales folks talked about (and some ppl on forums as well). So I was asking for clarification here.

Until two days ago, I owned a Trek hybrid (7.2FX).... sold it to raise cash for the roadie. I am no racer.... yet! :) But I have a burning desire to do century rides and start participating in triathlons. I started out looking on a nice alum frames but also looking at some entry-level all carbon frames now. It will be a weekend training machine that can be used a racehorse every now and then.