Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

CO2 Cartridge Shelf Life?

Started by rsquared · · Last activity · 14 posts · 563 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
31 July 2006
Last activity
1 August 2006
Original author
rsquared
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
563
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I found a CO2 cartridge in my work bench. I have no idea how old it
    is. Do they have a shelf life?

    The cartridge is in good shape - - no corrosion, but it could be a
    couple of years old.

    rsquared

  2. Try it to see if it works!

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA
    (Remove XSPAM)

    "rsquared" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I found a CO2 cartridge in my work bench. I have no idea how old it
    is. Do they have a shelf life?

    The cartridge is in good shape - - no corrosion, but it could be a
    couple of years old.

    rsquared

  3. Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? :-)

    "Zilla" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Try it to see if it works!

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA
    (Remove XSPAM)

    "rsquared" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I found a CO2 cartridge in my work bench. I have no idea how old it
    is. Do they have a shelf life?

    The cartridge is in good shape - - no corrosion, but it could be a
    couple of years old.

    rsquared

  4. rsquared said:

    I found a CO2 cartridge in my work bench. I have no idea how old it
    is. Do they have a shelf life?

    The cartridge is in good shape - - no corrosion, but it could be a
    couple of years old.

    I have probably a dozen or more here (usually just carry a pump) -- last
    time I bought 'em was probably 5 years ago or more. (Aaack -- bet it was 6
    or 7!)

    Carry a fresh one AND your oldie, and try the old one first.

    Brilliant Bill

  5. Well don't try it on a flat during a ride; try it
    "before" a ride.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA
    (Remove XSPAM)

    "Bob Palermo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? :-)

    "Zilla" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Try it to see if it works!

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA
    (Remove XSPAM)

    "rsquared" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I found a CO2 cartridge in my work bench. I have no idea how old it
    is. Do they have a shelf life?

    The cartridge is in good shape - - no corrosion, but it could be a
    couple of years old.

    rsquared

  6. rsquared said:

    I found a CO2 cartridge in my work bench. I have no idea how old it
    is. Do they have a shelf life?

    The cartridge is in good shape - - no corrosion, but it could be a
    couple of years old.

    rsquared

    Dear R^2,

    Assuming that it's an intact cartridge and not one that was pierced
    with a valve . . .

    CO2 cartridges have essentially an indefinite shelf life, barring
    corrosion or cracking (which will be rather noisy and obvious).

    There's no valve to leak, The sealed metal cartridge is able to hold
    enormous pressure (900 psi) until the seal is punctured.

    If you're desperately curious, weigh it on an electronic postal scale
    and compare to a similar cartridge. If it did somehow leak, it would
    weigh noticeably less.

    Here are some pictures with sizes and weights:
    http://www.aerotechnic.com/accessories/C02Cartridges.htm

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  7. Quoted message said:

    Here are some pictures with sizes and weights:
    http://www.aerotechnic.com/accessories/C02Cartridges.htm

    One thing to be careful about: the threaded and unthreaded
    versions of each size may not be the same length.

    I discovered that the hard way the other day when I had to
    stuff a rock in the cup of my inflator to get an unthreaded
    cartridge to pierce itself.

    Then I went home and measured. 2-3 mm shorter. Just
    enough.

    Then I went to a LBS and checked. Same deal with a
    different brand.

    To recap: threaded = longer; unthreaded = shorter; gravel = a tool.

    --Blair

  8. But if you try it before the ride, then you can't use it during the ride.
    These are one shot deals, at least the ones I use are.

    "Zilla" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well don't try it on a flat during a ride; try it
    "before" a ride.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA
    (Remove XSPAM)

    "Bob Palermo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? :-)

    "Zilla" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Try it to see if it works!

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA
    (Remove XSPAM)

    "rsquared" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > I found a CO2 cartridge in my work bench. I have no idea how old it
    > is. Do they have a shelf life?
    >
    > The cartridge is in good shape - - no corrosion, but it could be a
    > couple of years old.
    >
    > rsquared
    >

  9. LOL! Use it before a ride, and have another
    (newer, known-good) one during the ride.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA
    (Remove XSPAM)

    "Bob Palermo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    But if you try it before the ride, then you can't use it during the ride.
    These are one shot deals, at least the ones I use are.

    "Zilla" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well don't try it on a flat during a ride; try it
    "before" a ride.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA
    (Remove XSPAM)

    "Bob Palermo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? :-)

    "Zilla" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Try it to see if it works!
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla
    > Cary, NC USA
    > (Remove XSPAM)
    >
    >
    > "rsquared" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    >> I found a CO2 cartridge in my work bench. I have no idea how old it
    >> is. Do they have a shelf life?
    >>
    >> The cartridge is in good shape - - no corrosion, but it could be a
    >> couple of years old.
    >>
    >> rsquared
    >>
    >
    >

  10. <[email hidden]> wrote: (clip)To recap: threaded =
    longer;(clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Haven't you been following this thread? You never recap them--throw them
    away. ;-)

  11. Leo Lichtman said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote: (clip)To recap: threaded =
    longer;(clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Haven't you been following this thread? You never recap them--throw
    them away. ;-)

    Leo. Leo Leo Leo.

    LEO.

    L

    E

    O

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

  12. rsquared said:

    I found a CO2 cartridge in my work bench. I have no idea how old it
    is. Do they have a shelf life?

    The cartridge is in good shape - - no corrosion, but it could be a
    couple of years old.


    I've never heard of one leaking in a few years. If you wish to check,
    then find a balance and weigh the questioned one against a new one.

    I'd say take it with you for flat fix. That will add a frisson of danger
    from uncertainty to your otherwise dull ride <g>

    -paul

  13. Quoted message said:
    rsquared said:

    I found a CO2 cartridge in my work bench. I have no idea how old it
    is. Do they have a shelf life?

    The cartridge is in good shape - - no corrosion, but it could be a
    couple of years old.

    rsquared

    Dear R^2,

    Assuming that it's an intact cartridge and not one that was pierced
    with a valve . . .

    CO2 cartridges have essentially an indefinite shelf life, barring
    corrosion or cracking (which will be rather noisy and obvious).

    There's no valve to leak, The sealed metal cartridge is able to hold
    enormous pressure (900 psi) until the seal is punctured.

    If you're desperately curious, weigh it on an electronic postal scale
    and compare to a similar cartridge. If it did somehow leak, it would
    weigh noticeably less.

    Here are some pictures with sizes and weights:
    http://www.aerotechnic.com/accessories/C02Cartridges.htm

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

    Ahh! Nice suggestion! I am not very well grounded in science(s). The
    idea that the difference in mass would be easily measurable did not
    occur to me.

    rsquared

  14. Leo Lichtman said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote:
    (clip)To recap: threaded =
    longer;(clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Haven't you been following this thread? You never recap them--throw them
    away. ;-)

    Sure you do. You save the used ones and then marry
    them by putting them end-to-end, just like diners do
    with those "not labeled for resale" ketchup bottles.

    It'll save your life one day. You watch.

    --Blair

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.