rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

coker turns nightrider...

Started by zippy · · Last activity · 16 posts · 351 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
10 February 2007
Last activity
13 February 2007
Original author
zippy
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
351
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Got me bargin ebay cateye led's for night riding. I'd wear a head strap
    for no lit areas.

    Now lets just get my foot healed so I can ride it 😠

    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: unilights.jpg |
    |Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/17756 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    zippy

    *sun 17th june » manc to liverpool » 46mi » 2/6 got for team.
    sun 8th july » manc to blackpool » 59mi » 1/6 got for team.
    pm me so we can sort out a group booking.*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/57772

  2. sweet, how did you hurt your foot?

    --
    uni.rider.13

    Some people call me nuts for riding, other people call me no
    nuts.😕

    My 'Gallery!!!!!!!!!!!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/y3k57x)

    Hey!!! Go and see my new website. 'unicycleaustin.741.com'
    (http://unicycleaustin.741.com/index.html)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    uni.rider.13's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13011
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/57772

  3. i had a setup like that on my 26" muni but i shatered the back light
    last night with my heal when i UPDd on a ridge of snow. untill last
    night i thought it worked wonderfully well, I think it is a very good
    idea and anyone who rides in town or on roads should do this.

    --
    saskatchewanian

    “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who
    is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    saskatchewanian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14180
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/57772

  4. yeah, I had a light on my 29er like that, but on one fall, I shattered
    the mount for it. 🙁

    --
    onelesscar

    "my bounty is as boundless as the sea
    my love as deep
    the more i give to thee the more i have
    for both are endless"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    onelesscar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11127
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/57772

  5. well they certainly wont shatter 😄

    --
    zippy

    *sun 17th june » manc to liverpool » 46mi » 2/6 got for team.
    sun 8th july » manc to blackpool » 59mi » 1/6 got for team.
    pm me so we can sort out a group booking.*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/57772

  6. maybe use a water bottle cage to protect them?

    --
    stuckinwheeliemode
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    stuckinwheeliemode's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11984
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/57772

  7. The mounting is going to break when your seat hits the ground. You need
    to secure them in a way that will allow them to move around a little
    bit and absorb the impact. I recommend incorporating some steel wire.
    You might need to drill holes into the light housing and put the wire
    through there.

    --
    boo radley

    "no really, are you sure you love me more than your unicycle?" -my gf

    "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    boo radley's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10484
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/57772

  8. They'll be fine, I had those kind of lights on my coker for several
    years without breaking them. The great big cateye LEDs do have problems
    with falling off cokers/29ers, but I never did with those ones.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joemarshall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1545
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/57772

  9. I got some lights a bit like that for my coker. When I UPDd the front
    bit which you take off to put batteries in came off and batteries went
    everywhere. Sorted it easily enought with sticky tape. Not the neated
    thing in the world but it does the job

    --
    twerpy
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    twerpy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13262
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/57772

  10. twerpy said:

    I got some lights a bit like that for my coker. When I UPDd the front
    bit which you take off to put batteries in came off and batteries went
    everywhere. Sorted it easily enought with sticky tape. Not the neated
    thing in the world but it does the job

    This happened with my helmet light and I lost the see through plastic
    thing that goes ontop of the led bulby things (couldn't see it in the
    dark) so now the headlamp is no longer waterproof.

    I have a little topeka front light on my T7 handlebars and two small
    red lighty things on the back of the handlebars. Plus my head lamp and
    lots of other flashy clothes lighty things.

    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: electron ehp251 new ind.jpg |
    |Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/17772 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    cathwood

    Cathy
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cathwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9425
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/57772

  11. If they're decent lights (ie known brand, like cateye) the mounts will
    be fine. I've broken the mounts of some cheap nasty LED lights, but
    never the cateye one.

    Incidentally, are those upside down? I thought the little tab bit to
    release them should point downwards.

    --
    johnhimsworth

    Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and then
    beat you with experience.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/57772

  12. 'gilby should allow threads to choose background music...'
    (http://www.david-hasselhoff.com/downloads/KR_theme.wav)

    --
    zfreak220

    iridemymuni said:

    i think everybody agrees when i say you lucky son of a [censored]

    howdigetsogood said:

    man i used to think scooters were totally lame, but after that 'video'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57071), oh wait
    nevermind i still do.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/57772

  13. zippy said:

    Got me bargin ebay cateye led's for night riding. I'd wear a head strap
    for no lit areas.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd just like to echo what most of the others have said; those lights
    look pretty fragile on there. I've lost many lights and countless
    batteries to UPDs. Light manufacturers seem to think that easilly clip
    innable and outable lights are a good idea, but for unicyclists they're
    a nightmare.

    The solution, I've found, is cable ties and a hot glue gun. Having the
    lense pop off and the batteries go flying out is the biggest problem,
    but a coupld of cable ties (which are easilly replaced along with the
    batteries every few months) fixes that quite neatly. A hot glue gun
    all over the quick release catch works wonders too.

    I've attached a few photos of my 29er lights. Sorry about the quality,
    but I've only got my mobile phone with me today.

    17787
    17788
    17789

    STM

    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: IMAGE_00129.jpg |
    |Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/17789 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    semach.the.monkey
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    semach.the.monkey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12078
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/57772

  14. semach.the.monkey said:


    zippy said:

    Got me bargin ebay cateye led's for night riding. I'd wear a head strap
    for no lit areas.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd just like to echo what most of the others have said; those lights
    look pretty fragile on there. I've lost many lights and countless
    batteries to UPDs. Light manufacturers seem to think that easilly clip
    innable and outable lights are a good idea, but for unicyclists they're
    a nightmare.

    The solution, I've found, is cable ties and a hot glue gun. Having the
    lense pop off and the batteries go flying out is the biggest problem,
    but a coupld of cable ties (which are easilly replaced along with the
    batteries every few months) fixes that quite neatly. A hot glue gun
    all over the quick release catch works wonders too.

    I've attached a few photos of my 29er lights. Sorry about the quality,
    but I've only got my mobile phone with me today.

    17787
    17788
    17789

    STM

    Put a strip of tape all the way around the edges of the light to
    keep the lens from popping off the mounting. Those ties seem like
    they would block a good amount of light.

    --
    boo radley

    "no really, are you sure you love me more than your unicycle?" -my gf

    "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    boo radley's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10484
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/57772

  15. I've been using lights like these:

    '[image:
    http://images.mec.ca/media/Images/Products/Cycling/5006705s_v1_m56577569830584004.jpg]'
    (http://tinyurl.com/2xn3ln)

    They strap onto one of the tubes. They're extremely cheap ($3.50
    Canadian from the above site). They don't break due to impact,
    although they're not very water-resistant and tend to flake out after
    it rains. They're very easy to put on and take off.

    --
    tholub
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tholub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/804
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/57772

  16. tholub said:

    I've been using lights like these:

    '[image:
    http://images.mec.ca/media/Images/Products/Cycling/5006705s_v1_m56577569830584004.jpg]'
    (http://tinyurl.com/2xn3ln)

    They strap onto one of the tubes. They're extremely cheap ($3.50
    Canadian from the above site). They don't break due to impact,
    although they're not very water-resistant and tend to flake out after
    it rains. They're very easy to put on and take off.

    Couldn't you wrap that in glad wrap so water doesn't soak in. 😄 😄

    --
    Hazmat

    If you fail at unicycling or unicycle tricks, try again, when you try
    again. You will never fail.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/57772

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.