Coker

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling archive' started by 1wheel, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. 1wheel

    1wheel Guest

    This may seem like a realy stupid question but "what is a
    COKER"? I been on this site for 2 weeks and read much about
    a coker. Is it a brand? or what makes it so different??

    --
    1wheel

    Minnesota for the "open water" season.
    1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6427

  2. Zod

    Zod Guest

  3. Nickjb

    Nickjb Guest

  4. 1wheel

    1wheel Guest

    OK 36 inch wheel. So ,if I read you correct, any uni with a
    36" wheel, built by whoever, is a coker.

    " "reaches the speed of sound." If I were riding it, it sure
    would, straight DOWN.

    --
    1wheel

    Minnesota for the "open water" season.
    1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6427

  5. Daino149

    Daino149 Guest

    Coker is the name of a tire company. They mostly make
    authentic looking tires for vintage cars. It happens that
    they make a 36 inch tire and it happens that some people
    like to use it for unicycles.

    Daniel

    --
    daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino
    Sig count: 2
    04.05.14 10636
    04.05.15 10772
    04.05.16 10861
    04.05.19 11088

  6. "1wheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > OK 36 inch wheel. So ,if I read you correct, any uni with
    > a 36" wheel, built by whoever, is a Coker.

    36" *pneumatic* aka air-filled wheel. A solid 36" wheel
    isn't a Coker.

  7. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:44:52 -0500, "cyberbellum" wrote:

    >But at the moment all Cokers have tires made by the Coker
    >Tire company.

    However, there are also what I would call pedigree Cokers,
    When Coker started selling unicycles based on their 36"
    tyre, they triggered something. Call it the Coker movement.
    Now there are various frame, wheel and seat options, only
    just still one tyre.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
    post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the

  8. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 00:43:12 -0500, "tomblackwood" wrote:

    >Klaas Bil wrote:
    >> *However, there are also what I would call pedigree
    >> Cokers.

    >One such pedigree Coker, a GB4 36", with Dave
    >Stockton wheel:

    Very nice machine. I meant 'pedigree' the opposite way
    though, as in purely Coker in all of its parts.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
    post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the
    comfort of Savage unis

  9. Cyberbellum

    Cyberbellum Guest

    1wheel wrote:
    > *OK 36 inch wheel. So ,if I read you correct, any uni with
    > a 36" wheel, built by whoever, is a coker. *

    At the moment there is only one source for 36" tires so your
    assumption is a little premature. If another company starts
    making 36" tires then it could go the way you suggest (e.g.,
    many people still call copiers "xeroxes"), or the term Coker
    could be reserved for real Cokers.

    But at the moment all Cokers have tires made by the Coker
    Tire company.

    --
    cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

    Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
    half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
    cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

  10. Tim

    Tim Guest

    cyberbellum wrote:
    > * At the moment there is only one source for 36" tires so
    > your assumption is a little premature. If another company
    > starts making 36" tires then it could go the way you
    > suggest (e.g., many people still call copiers "xeroxes"),
    > or the term Coker could be reserved for real Cokers.
    >
    > But at the moment all Cokers have tires made by the Coker
    > Tire company. *

    True but if I did put a different tire (if ever available) I
    would still call it a coker. It would be like "I'll go get
    my kenda.". That would be silly.

    --
    Tim - Coker user

    I got me a new summit for $191!
    Tim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4671

  11. Tomblackwood

    Tomblackwood Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > *True but if I did put a different tire (if ever
    > available) I would still call it a coker. It would be like
    > "I'll go get my kenda.". That would be silly. *

    I don't know, it's true that the most common 36"s are
    still the stock "Coker" models, and it's true that any of
    the 36"s, even customs, still have the Coker tire. That
    said, there seems to be a bit of a trend to refer to the
    newer custom jobs as 36's, not just as Cokers. I like this
    trend, as it gives some credit to the folks doing the
    innovation. I love my GB4 36, with the great frame by
    George Barnes and U-Turn's invincible wheel. Likewise, I
    think the KH 36 and Hunter 36 deserve their formal names.
    They're definitely at least as much about the frame and
    wheel as they are the rubber.

    $.02 from Tom

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  12. Tomblackwood

    Tomblackwood Guest

    Klaas Bil wrote:
    > *However, there are also what I would call pedigree
    > Cokers. When Coker started selling unicycles based on
    > their 36" tyre, they triggered something. Call it the
    > Coker movement. Now there are various frame, wheel and
    > seat options, only just still one tyre. *

    One such pedigree Coker, a GB4 36", with Dave Stockton
    wheel:

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuw54/IMG_0632

    Just can't resist showing this baby off. Every ride it
    gets better.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

  13. > Likewise, I think the KH 36 and Hunter 36 deserve their
    > formal names.

    There's a Kris Holm 36"?? If so, does anyone have a pic?

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "In conclusion, unicycle... or perish. Because in the real world, you
    don't have time to think about a second wheel"
    -Zach_Jucha
    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

  14. Zod

    Zod Guest

  15. 1wheel

    1wheel Guest

    Thank you all for the information.
    By the time I become profecient at ridng this thing I may even learn the
    langurage associated with uni riding.
    No coker for me at this point in time.:cool: