General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Cold from the can?

Started by OmManiPadmeOmelet · · Last activity · 117 posts · 2,084 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 December 2005
Last activity
24 December 2005
Original author
OmManiPadmeOmelet
Posts
117
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,084
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–100 of 117
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Stan Horwitz said:

    None. It takes all of two minutes to dump a can of food into a bowl and
    nuke it. If your job gets so busy that you do not have even two minutes
    to prepare something for lunch is the day you should start looking for
    another job!

    I worked for a University also. It is easy to take stuff for granted.

    When you work construction or drive a garbage truck, there probably
    isn't a microwave. There are a lot of jobs like that.

    There are jobs where you don't even know where you work. You report in,
    and they send you where you are needed.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email hidden]
    Petaluma, California, USA

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dan Abel said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Dan Abel <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I love this group. It is always interesting seeing what people like to
    eat, or in this case, are willing to eat.

    <lol>
    Sometimes I'm hungry to the point of being nearly ill, but just too
    darned swamped to take a break!

    I'm taking a break. At least a year. I'll decide what to do in a
    while. A long while.

    I wish I could do that...
    but I hope you are ok???
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dan Abel said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Since I don't watch television any more, I don't see some of the "new
    and improved" items on the market.

    What's a television?

    :-)

    Heh!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It's been a bit over 3 years since I quit watching anything but news

    I hate tv news, really hate it. I don't know about where you live, but
    here it gets dumbed down continually. They think we are two years old.
    When my wife turns on the news, I leave. Sometimes it is dark, cold or
    raining. After 10 minutes, they start repeating the exact same story.
    In 10 more minutes, another repeat.

    I get most of my news off of BBC radio.
    I'll watch CNN or Fox for maybe 10 minutes if I think something
    important is going on, but only on rare occasions.

    I'm more likely to Google for it. American News lies a lot.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    weather on the [censored] tube,

    I hate the tv weather also. These people know nothing about weather.
    They are hired because they are actors. It's not their fault that they
    are often wrong. They are just reading their lines.

    The weather channel has that robotic reporter, and I look at the weather
    map and draw my own conclusions. ;-) I also read cloud patterns for at
    least my own 24 hour prediction. I also watch the ant hills.

    If the ants are building a larger than normal mound, it's rain within 24
    hours. The bigger the mound, the more the rain. <G>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and I listen to the radio more.

    There is so much bad radio. My wife likes it.

    BBC on NPR is good for world News updates.
    I listen to it while I am commuting to and from work.

    It's a 30 minute commute.

    Quoted message said:


    I guess I'm just old a grumpy.

    That's ok. ;-)
    You are probably just spoilt by the internet too.

    Did you know that Richard Prior died a few days ago?

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  4. ~patches~ said:

    Personally, I can do quite nicely
    without commercially canned foods 🙂

    Not me. I use tomatoes in lots of my cooking, and except for about two
    months of the year it's pointless to try to use fresh. I use a lot of
    canned beans too, because the lead time to prepare dried is long, and I
    really don't feel there's much improvement unless you're making bean
    soup.

    Brian

  5. Dan Abel said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Nancy Young said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote

    >Well, canned fruits are kind of a given. ;-)

    In the can? Normally it should be put on a plate.

    I just open the can and grab a fork.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm willing to bet that most canned fruit never makes it into a bowl. <G>

    Canned fruit doesn't make it into our house.

    Homecanned fruit makes it into our house. Homecanned peaches and toast
    make a very nice breakfast 🙂 I've never bought the commercial canned
    stuff.

  6. Default User said:
    ~patches~ said:

    Personally, I can do quite nicely
    without commercially canned foods 🙂

    Not me. I use tomatoes in lots of my cooking, and except for about two
    months of the year it's pointless to try to use fresh. I use a lot of
    canned beans too, because the lead time to prepare dried is long, and I
    really don't feel there's much improvement unless you're making bean
    soup.

    Brian

    Brian, I do a lot of home canning including just about anything you
    could make with tomatoes. I have no need to buy anything commercially
    canned. Oh, and I can all kinds of soups and beans as well. They are
    easy to do and IMO taste a better than the commercially canned versions.
    As I said, I can do quite nicely without commercially canned foods 🙂

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:


    Canned cream soups
    Spinach
    Cut green beans
    Asparagus spears
    Baby corns
    Black Olives
    Green Olives
    Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.

    I find all of this except for the olives revolting. The only canned
    things I can eat without using as ingredients are canned fruit.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Spitzmaus said:

    As Patches mentioned earlier, commercially canned foods aren't a happenin'
    thing [for me]. I will, however, make an exception for any type of canned
    fish; I agree with Sheldon on that point. And as I child, I used to adore
    cold canned corned beef on saltines with hot mustard; I seriously doubt I'd
    like it these days.

    Oh, I do eat canned tuna out of the can sometimes, usually when I'm
    pregnant.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    ~patches~ said:

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So what do you take to work for emergency cold meals? :-)

    For cold meals away from home, I tend to go with sandwiches, wraps or
    salads along with a couple of pieces of cheese and fresh fruit. Hard
    boiled eggs are good too. I have a nice thermos though so I can take
    along hot homemade soups if I choose. Personally, I can do quite nicely
    without commercially canned foods 🙂

    Pretty much the same here. Sandwiches are good cold, as are salads.
    Cheese and crackers, fruit (though not fridge cold, I don't like that).
    If I were in a situation with no stove and no microwave and no fire,
    this is the kind of thing I would eat. Not cold canned food. *shudder*

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dan Abel said:

    Whatever works for you. We don't eat stewed tomatoes. There is just no
    use for these things. A couple of times I've gotten desperate and there
    are some in the pantry. Dump in bowl and eat. Not bad.

    How is it that things you don't eat end up in your pantry? I ask
    this as a general question. We somehow ended up with canned peas. We
    don't eat canned peas. Ever. I'm sending it with the kids for their
    chapel offering at school. I know other people eat them.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Stan Horwitz said:

    Nothing in my life is so important
    that it can't wait a couple of minutes for me to heat up a can of soup.

    You don't work in emergency care or response do you?

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  12. Ranee Mueller said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dan Abel said:

    Whatever works for you. We don't eat stewed tomatoes. There is just no
    use for these things. A couple of times I've gotten desperate and there
    are some in the pantry. Dump in bowl and eat. Not bad.

    How is it that things you don't eat end up in your pantry? I ask
    this as a general question. We somehow ended up with canned peas. We
    don't eat canned peas. Ever. I'm sending it with the kids for their
    chapel offering at school. I know other people eat them.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    I've had things show up in my pantry stores that I know we won't eat or
    some things we might not eat within a year. There tends to be two
    sources for these things. The first being the kids or friends who will
    bring along something and it doesn't get used but they don't want to
    take it back with them. The kids are pretty good at not doing this much
    but it still happens. DD is the queen of bringing me *different* things
    to try especially sauces and spice mixes. That can add up! The second
    way this happens is through home canning. Thank goodness it doesn't
    happen a lot but it does never the less. It usually happens with
    something that we will only use one or two jars but the recipe produces
    four to six jars. There are a couple of these types of recipes that
    stick out in my mind - corn relish and port wine jelly being two. I
    always try a couple of new canning recipes each year and sometimes they
    are not quite as expected. Unfortunately, you can't really donate home
    canned goods to the food banks so I generally come up with a way to use
    the food up anyway rather than waste it.

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ranee Mueller said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dan Abel said:

    Whatever works for you. We don't eat stewed tomatoes. There is just no
    use for these things. A couple of times I've gotten desperate and there
    are some in the pantry. Dump in bowl and eat. Not bad.

    How is it that things you don't eat end up in your pantry?

    I think that we used to eat these.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email hidden]
    Petaluma, California, USA

  14. jmcquown said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
    of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?

    Canned cream soups
    Spinach
    Cut green beans
    Asparagus spears
    Baby corns
    Black Olives
    Green Olives
    Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.

    Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

    I can't eat canned creamed soup cold, sorry. That's one reason I really
    like those Campbell's Soup at Hand and other quick microwaveable soup
    containers. 3 minutes... about the time it takes to make a phone call at
    the office. Voila... sip or spoon up lunch.

    But SO expensive!

    I can eat canned corn (regular or cream style), green olives, cream of
    mushroom or clam chowder soup (condensed or not), or pasta
    (spaghettios with meatballs, for instance) cold out of the can, but I
    can't eat most canned veggies at all -- spinach, green beans, etc.,
    are just things I'd rather not have than have out of a can.

    Let's see, what else can I eat straight out of the can?

    Beets (regular or pickled)
    Pickled cabbage
    Campbell's vegetarian vegetable soup
    water chestnuts

    serene

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ranee Mueller said:

    Pretty much the same here. Sandwiches are good cold, as are salads.
    Cheese and crackers, fruit (though not fridge cold, I don't like that).
    If I were in a situation with no stove and no microwave and no fire,
    this is the kind of thing I would eat. Not cold canned food. *shudder*

    Your ideas are good, but I think we are talking about emergency
    supplies. Even with a fridge, some of these things don't keep. With no
    fridge, stuff in cans might be an option. Especially the olives.

    :-)

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email hidden]
    Petaluma, California, USA

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dan Abel said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    The weather channel has that robotic reporter, and I look at the weather
    map and draw my own conclusions. ;-)

    I have my very own weather channel. It's called a "window". I can tell
    whether it is raining or not. I have a thermometer outside and I can
    see that also.

    My weather channel didn't work very well yesterday. I got soaked, a few
    times. It was 60F, so it wasn't a health crisis. The second time I was
    walking through the hospital parking lot, so if I needed treatment for
    hypothermia, I was right there.

    :-)

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email hidden]
    Petaluma, California, USA

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Dan Abel <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm taking a break. At least a year. I'll decide what to do in a
    while. A long while.

    I wish I could do that...
    but I hope you are ok???

    I'm OK. So OK. I worked at my last job for 25 years. I didn't make a
    fortune, but a computer programmer makes good money. Part of the reason
    I stuck it out there was because I knew the retirement benefits were
    fantastic. They are paying me *so* much for not working there. My net
    pay, which wasn't minor, is now about 2/3 what it was. For not working.
    We have no rent or mortgage. The vehicles are fairly new and paid off.
    We have no other debts. The kids are all grown up. They don't need a
    stay at home mom anymore. So my wife has agreed to go back to work.
    She has two jobs. She has actually had the one job for more than a
    decade, but it didn't pay. She works about 20 hours a week, and is paid
    US$240 a month. The other job is 10 hours a week, and pays US$1000 a
    month. She goes here there and everywhere, but mostly in town, and most
    of her time is working at home, on the computer and the telephone. I
    have lifetime health and dental coverage.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email hidden]
    Petaluma, California, USA

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,

    serene said:
    jmcquown said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
    of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?

    Canned cream soups
    Spinach
    Cut green beans
    Asparagus spears
    Baby corns
    Black Olives
    Green Olives
    Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.

    Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

    I can't eat canned creamed soup cold, sorry. That's one reason I really
    like those Campbell's Soup at Hand and other quick microwaveable soup
    containers. 3 minutes... about the time it takes to make a phone call at
    the office. Voila... sip or spoon up lunch.

    But SO expensive!

    I can eat canned corn (regular or cream style), green olives, cream of
    mushroom or clam chowder soup (condensed or not), or pasta
    (spaghettios with meatballs, for instance) cold out of the can, but I
    can't eat most canned veggies at all -- spinach, green beans, etc.,
    are just things I'd rather not have than have out of a can.

    Let's see, what else can I eat straight out of the can?

    Beets (regular or pickled)
    Pickled cabbage
    Campbell's vegetarian vegetable soup
    water chestnuts

    serene

    Add to the above list:

    Canned ham
    Smoked baby clams
    Smoked oysters
    Sardines
    Kipper snacks

    Those are items I tend to keep in my locker
    for emergency low carb snacking. ;-)

    Boston brown bread used to be one my parents
    used when we were camping, but mom generally
    used the campfire toaster and served it hot
    with butter, so that one does not count.
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dan Abel said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ranee Mueller said:

    Pretty much the same here. Sandwiches are good cold, as are salads.
    Cheese and crackers, fruit (though not fridge cold, I don't like that).
    If I were in a situation with no stove and no microwave and no fire,
    this is the kind of thing I would eat. Not cold canned food. *shudder*

    Your ideas are good, but I think we are talking about emergency
    supplies. Even with a fridge, some of these things don't keep. With no
    fridge, stuff in cans might be an option. Especially the olives.

    :-)

    This thread could easily expand into emergency eating with no
    refrigeration and no power, and no way to really heat stuff.

    How long does canned sterno keep? I just had to toss about 2 dozen cans
    of canned sterno (it rattled hard as a rock) out of the storage shed a
    couple of weeks ago when I was going thru stuff. I don't really know how
    old it was, but probably close to 10 years old. I wonder if there is a
    really good way to store sterno long term and keep it from evaporating?

    Can one cook over candles?
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dan Abel said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dan Abel said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    The weather channel has that robotic reporter, and I look at the weather
    map and draw my own conclusions. ;-)

    I have my very own weather channel. It's called a "window". I can tell
    whether it is raining or not. I have a thermometer outside and I can
    see that also.

    My weather channel didn't work very well yesterday. I got soaked, a few
    times. It was 60F, so it wasn't a health crisis. The second time I was
    walking through the hospital parking lot, so if I needed treatment for
    hypothermia, I was right there.

    :-)

    <lol> you sound like me...

    But DO watch the anthills!
    They are a great little rain predictor.
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.