College Swimming; Conference Championships

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected] (Larry Weisenthal), Mar 1, 2005.

  1. For those swimming fans who have never attended a college conference
    championship meet, I can tell you that there are far less entertaining
    ways to spend an evening. I've attended numerous Pac 10 men's and
    women's championships, and I just returned from Princeton, NJ, from
    three great days at the women's Ivies. School spirit is in great
    abundance and the intensity of traditional rivalries can be as great in
    swimming as in other team sports.

    For anyone with an interest in checking this out and with access to
    College Sports TV (CSTV) on either cable or satellite (e.g. DirecTV),
    here's the broadcast schedule for both the Ivy League and Big Ten
    women's conference championships (below). Rowdy Gaines provides the
    commentary for the Ivies and was overheard admiring both the spirit and
    quality of the competition.

    Date Time (all EASTERN TIME) Program

    Wed, Mar. 2
    8:00 pm
    Postseason - Swimming & Diving
    2005 Ivy League Women's Swimming & Diving Championship
    (DoubleTake, Played on 3/2/05)

    Wed, Mar. 2
    10:00 pm
    Postseason - Swimming & Diving
    2005 Big Ten Women's Swimming & Diving Championship
    (DoubleTake, Played on 3/2/05)

    Wed, Mar. 2
    11:00 pm
    Postseason - Swimming & Diving
    2005 Ivy League Women's Swimming & Diving Championship
    (DoubleTake, Played on 3/2/05)

    Thu, Mar. 3
    12:30 pm
    Postseason - Swimming & Diving
    2005 Ivy League Women's Swimming & Diving Championship
    (DoubleTake, Played on 3/2/05)

    Thu, Mar. 3
    2:30 pm
    Postseason - Swimming & Diving
    2005 Big Ten Women's Swimming & Diving Championship
    (DoubleTake, Played on 3/2/05)

    Fri, Mar. 4
    1:00 am
    Postseason - Swimming & Diving
    2005 Ivy League Women's Swimming & Diving Championship
    (DoubleTake, Played on 3/2/05)

    Mon, Mar. 7
    1:00 pm
    Postseason - Swimming & Diving
    2005 Big Ten Women's Swimming & Diving Championship
    (DoubleTake, Played on 3/2/05)

    Wed, Mar. 9
    12:00 pm
    Postseason - Swimming & Diving
    2005 Ivy League Women's Swimming & Diving Championship
    (DoubleTake, Played on 3/2/05)

    Thu, Mar. 10
    2:00 am
    Postseason - Swimming & Diving
    2005 Ivy League Women's Swimming & Diving Championship
    (DoubleTake, Played on 3/2/05)

    Mon, Mar. 14
    1:00 pm
    Postseason - Swimming & Diving
    2005 Big Ten Women's Swimming & Diving Championship
    (DoubleTake, Played on 3/2/05)

    Mon, Mar. 14
    2:00 pm
    Postseason - Swimming & Diving
    2005 Ivy League Women's Swimming & Diving Championship
    (DoubleTake, Played on 3/2/05)

    Tue, Mar. 15
    2:30 am
    Postseason - Swimming & Diving
    2005 Ivy League Women's Swimming & Diving Championship
    (DoubleTake, Played on 3/2/05)

    - Larry Weisenthal

    Tags:

  2. michaelgg

    michaelgg Guest

    Larry,

    Thanks for the posting of the broadcasts and congrats to Laurin who
    made major contributions to the Princeton women's team championship.

    I attended the Big East mens and womens swimming and diving
    championships earlier in the month and also saw some great swimming,
    fabulous competition and great spirit from the teams as well as the
    fans and families who attended the meet.

    These young men and women should be recognized, not only for their
    accomlishments at championship meets, but also for all the hard work
    and dedication they put in on a daily basis during the year.

    I plan to watch!

    If anyone is interested, I can post some photos from the meet online.

    Michael

    [email protected] (Larry Weisenthal) wrote:
> [...]

    > 2005 Ivy League Women's Swimming & Diving Championship
    > (DoubleTake, Played on 3/2/05)
    >
    > Thu, Mar. 10
    > 2:00 am
    > Postseason - Swimming & Diving
    > 2005 Ivy League Women's Swimming & Diving Championship
    > (DoubleTake, Played on 3/2/05)
    >
    > Mon, Mar. 14
    > 1:00 pm
    > Postseason - Swimming & Diving
    > 2005 Big Ten Women's Swimming & Diving Championship
    > (DoubleTake, Played on 3/2/05)
    >
    > Mon, Mar. 14
    > 2:00 pm
    > Postseason - Swimming & Diving
    > 2005 Ivy League Women's Swimming & Diving Championship
    > (DoubleTake, Played on 3/2/05)
    >
    > Tue, Mar. 15
    > 2:30 am
    > Postseason - Swimming & Diving
    > 2005 Ivy League Women's Swimming & Diving Championship

  3. Thanks, Michael. Brief correction: For the first time in 6 years,
    Princeton did NOT win the meet (and the kid in question didn't swim for
    Princeton). It's turned into one of the better college swimming
    rivalries.

    I've got an interesting follow up relating to identical twins in
    swimming...to follow.

    - Larry

  4. diablo

    diablo Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thanks, Michael. Brief correction: For the first time in 6 years,
    > Princeton did NOT win the meet (and the kid in question didn't swim for
    > Princeton). It's turned into one of the better college swimming
    > rivalries.
    >
    > I've got an interesting follow up relating to identical twins in
    > swimming...to follow.
    >
    > - Larry

    I've had the fortune to coach three pairs of identical twins in the last 4
    years and would be interested to read this...be quick ;)

  5. OK, here's the twin story:

    1st and 2nd in the Ivies in the 1000 and 1650 were the Blondin twins,
    Stacey and Kelly, of Harvard. In each event, they finished just about
    one second apart. In addition to being the roomates of my own daughter
    in the same residence hall previously home to more famous roommates Al
    Gore and Tommie Lee Jones, they are the club teammates of present U of
    Minnesota swimmer Valerie Tukey. Valerie is, in turn, the younger
    sister of the famous Tukey twins, Rachel and Jenna. Now here's where
    it gets weird. In, I believe, 1994, Rachel and Jenna tied for first in
    the 1650 at US Swimming Junior Nationals. Tied to the 1/100dth of a
    second. Interesting, but not weird, you say. Well, try this on. They
    swam in separate heats.

    Later on, Rachel and Jenna both swam for the Air Force Academy. In
    both 1995 and 1996, they came in 1st and 2nd in both the 500 and 1650
    in NCAA Division II finals. I believe that Jenna may still hold the
    Colorado state record in the 1500. I do know that she once swam the
    1500 long course in close to 17 even, which is a very good swim,
    indeed.

    After graduating from the AFA, Rachel went to jet school and later
    served as a combat theater pilot in the 2003 Iraq invasion. She
    refueled combat jets on bombing and strafing runs. Today, she's an Air
    Force flight instructor. Her sister went on to get a master's degree
    in aerospace engineering and served out her obligation in a non-flying
    capacity. She currently works in the aviation industry.

    Here are a few links to Rachel's Air Force activities:

    http://www.wethepeoplemedia.org/YouthJourn/AlexSalgado/HeartofaSolider.h
    tml

    http://www.af.mil/news/story_print.asp?storyID=40603634

    http://www.af.mil/news/story_print.asp?storyID=22603564

    So here's to twins...and distance swimmers.

    - Larry W

  6. Also, for those in the northeast with Comcast cable service, the men's
    EISL Championships (Ivy League + Navy), which took place this week-end
    (March 3-5) at Harvard, will be broadcast Saturday, March 12, 5-8pm EST
    on the Comcast Network CN8 channel. Rowdy Gaines was also at Harvard
    doing the color commentary for this broadcast.

    -Rick

    | Rick Osterberg [email protected] |

  7. >>EISL Championships (Ivy League + Navy) <<

    What happened to Army?

  8. > >>EISL Championships (Ivy League + Navy) <<

    > What happened to Army?

    Army has withdrawn from the EISL league. Both Army and Navy had dual
    league affiliations, with the EISL and with the Patriot League. I guess
    Army decided that they wanted just a single league affiliation, and stuck
    with the Patiot League. (Navy still attends both the EISL and the Patriot
    League champs, as far as I know.)