Colostrum

WheelSuck

Feb 5, 2003
I have read with interest the Project Creatine thread by Lab Rat. So I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with colostrum. If so, I would appreciate if you could let me any pro's and con's about using it.

Never heard of this myself, but here's the abstract:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dose effects of oral bovine colostrum on physical work capacity in cyclists

JEFF S. COOMBES1; MICHAEL CONACHER2; SIMON K. AUSTEN1; PHILIP A. MARSHALL3

1School of Human Movement Studies, University of Queensland, St Lucia, AUSTRALIA;
2Centre for Human Movement, University of Tasmania, Launceston, TASMANIA;
3Numico Research Australia, Oakden, SOUTH AUSTRALIA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABSTRACT J. S. COOMBES, M. CONACHER. S. K. AUSTEN, P. A. MARSHALL.

Purpose: There is interest in the potential long-term use of dietary supplementation with bovine colostrum to enhance exercise performance. The purpose of the present study was to determine the dose effects of bovine colostrum on cycling performance.

Methods: Forty-two competitive cyclists were randomly divided into three groups and required to consume either 20 g/d bovine colostrum + 40 g whey protein concentrate (wpc), 60 g of bovine colostrum, or 60 g of wpc (placebo). Two measures were used to assess performance before (pre-) and after (post-) an 8-wk supplementation period. The first measure required subjects to complete two O2max tests separated by 20 min with the amount of work completed in the second test used to evaluate performance. The second performance measure was the time to complete a work-based time trial following a 2-h cycle at 65% O2max. Subjects were required to maintain their regular training and keep a food and training diary over the study period.

Results: After supplementation, the performance enhancement in Measure One was not statistically significantly different in the colostrum groups compared to the placebo group (placebo = 3.4%, 20 g = 4.0%, 60 g = 3.9%; 95% confidence interval (CI) for differences, ±1.8%, P > 0.05). In performance Measure Two subjects in the 20 g and 60 g groups completed the time trial significantly (P < 0.05) faster post supplement compared to pre supplement (improvements in performance times, placebo = 37 s, 20 g = 158 s, 60 g = 134 s; 95% CI for differences, 47 s).

Conclusion: Oral bovine colostrum supplementation at 20 g or 60 g/d provided a small but significant improvement in time trial performance in cyclists after a 2-h ride at 65% O2max.

Originally posted by 2LAP
What is this?

In humans it is the first milk produced by a breast-feeding mother, rich in protein and antibodies. It lasts for about 3 days until the normal milk starts to be produced. I can only assume that bovine colostrum is produced by cows for calves.

I hear it's low in fat. I vaguely also recall that it has a laxative effect ... Enjoy guys!

Originally posted by Ronnie
In humans it is the first milk produced by a breast-feeding mother, rich in protein and antibodies. It lasts for about 3 days until the normal milk starts to be produced. I can only assume that bovine colostrum is produced by cows for calves.

I hear it's low in fat. I vaguely also recall that it has a laxative effect ... Enjoy guys!

So your saying I need to find a breast-feeding mother? ;)

So if you want a SMALL but significant improvement start downing those doses of mommy juice! Lucky for me my wife is prego. I can start my cycle of the good stuff in late July.

Look out world. Easyrider is going on the new "good stuff." I was getting tired of shooting up that EPO anyway. This ingestion method sounds like a lot more fun. :D

Studies have shown that bovine colustrum works. But the dosage required is very expensive - from memory about $AU70 per week.

Shonky supplement suppliers are marketing colustrum on the strength of the studies but only providing products and recommended dosages that are a fraction of the study.

The best site on supplements is www.sportvitamins.com.au

Heaps on Colostrum and they have a special on now. Great for recovery, imune systems and lean muscle tissue build.

You need to take about 4 caps or tabs per day and double the dose on event days and big training days.

All elite swimmers/Tri's are using.

Only use New Zealand product. They are the only country in the world with the right setup for collection and legislation to actually produce high grade chemicle free colostrum.

The IgG which is a natural form of HGH is one of the main components and what the cheeper ones tend to do is reduce this component.

Colostrum has been approved by the IOC and world Drug Authority as an approved supplement.

Hope this helps.

IgG is a natural form of HGH? I thought HGH was natural, given that it is a hormone produced by humans!

Does the IOC approve supplements or does it just say that they are not banned?

Originally posted by 2LAP
IgG is a natural form of HGH? I thought HGH was natural, given that it is a hormone produced by humans!

Yeah when you consider what HGH stands for it does seem like a what the?? kind of comment.

You can get a natural form of human growth hormone from a bloody cow? This isn't even funny, it’s bloody stupid.

The IgG which is a natural form of HGH is one of the main components and what the cheeper ones tend to do is reduce this component.
Are you saying they reduce the cow's IgG from the HGH? would it matter if I ate a steak?

What if I ate a chop? I'd hate to OD on SgG which is the sheep version of IgG :D

For interests sake, does anyone know what IGF is?

cheers

Originally posted by steve
What if I ate a chop? I'd hate to OD on SgG which is the sheep version of IgG :D

steve, if a sheep’s were as good as cow's we would have been milking them dry. :p

I still think that "mother's milk" is best. Look at he packaging, it's free ... no wait you only start paying later ;) , and it has many "other" uses! :eek:

The IgG is in the colostrum not the steak or chop.

If you consider Colostrum is the first of the mothers milk we consume as an infant an is designed to giv growth, streanght and stave of infections byboosting the immune system, wouldn't it therefore be viable to assume that a produced form of this in a commercial sence would have simmilar effects?

There have been many tests on Colostrum and I and my family have been taking it for years........and I swear by it.

My kids are 4 & 6 and no colds or flu in the house the whole time My wife is in Tri's and believes it is the best supplements she has ever take. She takes Colostru an Q10 and nothingelse and trains and competes aroun 45 hours per week.

I am no expert but it looks ok to me.

As far as the HGH goes yes it is naturally produce by the body however its products decreases with age.

Originally posted by Lazy legs
I still think that "mother's milk" is best. Look at he packaging

dude.....I can't stop looking at the packaging, I like the packaging. I just find myself getting into trouble when I sample all the different packages on show :mad:

Originally posted by steve
dude.....I can't stop looking at the packaging

Maybe that’s why you can't see all the other advantages. ;)

and I agree with you on sampling other packages - there should be a general health warning printed on them in that regard, :D that's about the only disadvantage I can think of.

Actually New Zalands Colostrum is not considered a true Colostrum since it is actually not taking from the source until 12 to 24 hours after the birth. They are not set up to do it within the first 6-12 hours whici is true Colostrum. There is one good Company in the US who manufactures the product here and their cows and ranches are all over the US and are also organic. They also Have Studies from Cornell University showing they are the only true company in the world who make a pure colostrum.

Originally posted by horaxe

The best site on supplements is www.sportvitamins.com.au

Heaps on Colostrum and they have a special on now. Great for recovery, imune systems and lean muscle tissue build.

You need to take about 4 caps or tabs per day and double the dose on event days and big training days.

All elite swimmers/Tri's are using.

Only use New Zealand product. They are the only country in the world with the right setup for collection and legislation to actually produce high grade chemicle free colostrum.

Colostrum has been approved by the IOC and world Drug Authority as an approved supplement.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by horaxe
The IgG which is a natural form of HGH

As stated already, the two are not related.

Human Growth Hormone is produced by the pituitary gland and has some anabolic effects (among others). It is produced throughout life but decreases after puberty. One of the other effects is that GH stimulates the release of 'Insulin-like Growth Factor-I' (IGF-I) from the liver (mainly). Again this is nothing to do with IgG.

GH secretion is affected by nutritional factors. GH secretion is increased in subjects who are malnourished or fasting, and it is stimulated by high protein meals and intravenously administered amino acids. In contrast, hypoglycemia and leptin inhibit GH secretion.

IgG is Immunoglobulin (ie an antibody) of the 'G' class (as opposed to the M, A, E & D classes). IgG antibodies are produced by white blood cells and are mainly involved in fighting infections or other things that are 'foreign' to the body.

Colstrom first became a big thing in Australia with Charlie Walsh when some of the trackies refused to take it.I cant see it doing much good as in the years after this the hype has died down.If you check out some bodybuilding forums colustrum is barely mentioned.