comfort or hybrid

bill in pa

Jul 30, 2009
Hello, I hope I am posting to the correct division/category. I am looking for a bike, 90% riding on the street around the neighborhood, maybe some trail and path. Not sure, but I would something that allows me to sit up straight, high bars, due to a back issue. Not sure in that I am torn between "comfort" and "hybrid". I saw a Specialized, a hybrid, in a bike shop right across the street from the Lehigh Valley Velodrome, it's an 09 and priced at $350.00 new. Any tips or ideas will be certainly appreciated. Thank you.
Bill in Pa

Between a Comfort & a Hybrid bike, I would choose a Hybrid.

I'm under the impression that most Comfort bikes have 26" wheels ... is that right?

And, I'm under the impression that most (but, perhaps not all) Hybrids have 700c wheels. Bigger tires roll over SMALL obstacles more easily.

$350 is a good price ... a solid fork is better than a suspension fork, BTW, on a Hybrid.

BTW. 700c wheels are better because you will have more tire/wheel choices in the future.

Thanks for the response. Are 700c wheels the way of the future? I am leaning towards the Hybrid configuration, but not sure which one. Is the wheelbase shorter on a Hy vs a Com? If yes wouldn't that provide for a more upright sitting posture? I am brand new to the cycling sport, thanks all for the patience for what appear to be simplistic questions! Any difference between the twist shifters vs the trigger type?
Bill

As far as the shifters are concerned, that boils down to personal preference. My MTB has the grip shifters, which allow one to change a large number of gears quickly, but lend themselves to being accidentally moved by your hand when changing grip position on the handlebar - I've done that myself. Rapid-fire aka trigger shifters are inherently more immune to that but only allow shifting one gear at a time, similarly to the combination shifters contained in the brake levers on a modern road bike. OTOH, those with smaller hands tend to have to physically take their hand off the grip to reach a rapid-fire shifter.

Someone posted a poll thread a long time ago on Grip Shift vs Rapid-Fire, the thread generated a lot of constructive debate. You can find it here.

I can't give an opinion as to which one I think is better because I've only had the grip shifters, I've never ridden a MTB with rapid-fire shifters. So, my advice - see if the LBS will let you test-ride a bike with grip shifters and one with rapid-fire shifters, then decide for yourself which type you like better.

bill in pa said:
Are 700c wheels the way of the future? I am leaning towards the Hybrid configuration, but not sure which one. Is the wheelbase shorter on a Hy vs a Com? If yes wouldn't that provide for a more upright sitting posture? I am brand new to the cycling sport, thanks all for the patience for what appear to be simplistic questions! Any difference between the twist shifters vs the trigger type?
700c wheel have been around for a long time ... they actually replaced most comparable 27" wheeled bikes in the States by the early 80s ... so, the "future" began a long time ago!

I don't know what the difference is in the wheelbase of a Comfort vs. a Hybrid bike -- I would actually think that they are pretty close in length (~41") ... you can find that spec out pretty easily.

You want to choose the bike based on the top tube length whenever possible.

I like grip shifters for the reason that cyberlegend1994 mentioned; but, I know people who 'hate' them. Both systems work well ... both can be durable ... both can be abused & broken.

Comfort bikes are for ambling along a bike path at 5 mph for a couple of miles. Hybrids are more serious bikes... not quite road bikes, but snappier and more responsive than the comfort bike. Most people who cycle a lot think comfort bikes would more properly be called discomfort bikes. Think about how much riding you may do in the future, and make your choice accordingly.

Trust me, whether you end up with 26 inch or 700c wheels isn't going to make any noticeable difference whatsoever when you're riding the bike, but, the 700c wheels most hybrids have would allow you to use more road-bike like tires in the future if you so desire.

It sounds like you're just getting into cycling? If so, a hybrid would be a great bike to purchase. For the beginner Hybrids are very comfortable to ride. However, their performance isn't compromised by their comfort.

Have you thought about a recumbent trike. If not, check out Sun and Greenspeed...