Commuter bike Pedals: Clips and toe straps or SPDs?

Cobben Sence

Guest
Well, it finally happened I manged to trash my classic mountinbike
pedals and I now have to consider replacing them. (Metal fatigue
cracked the spindle arms). although I am strongly inclined to replace
them with more the same I'm also interested in better technology.

These classic clip and strap pedals have done the job, but they do
have the weaknesses on rides greater than 5 miles. Because I use them
with ordinary tennis shoes I do occasionally have problems with foot
numbness from the shoes being too flexible and as far as I know nobody
makes a conventional cleated mountain bike shoe anymore to circumvent
this problem.

So consequently I'm open to the idea of using SPD Mountain bike pedals,
but I'm unsure how well they'll work in the real world where the
possibility exists of having dismount and walk on pavement. Is there
anyone out there cyclo-commuting using SPD's willing to offer an
opinion? I know the SPD's would give me a more positive upstroke on my
spin, I'm afraid that I might miss the freedom of using street shoes on
my commute.

Cobben Sence wrote:
> Well, it finally happened I manged to trash my classic mountinbike
> pedals and I now have to consider replacing them. (Metal fatigue
> cracked the spindle arms). although I am strongly inclined to replace
> them with more the same I'm also interested in better technology.
>
> These classic clip and strap pedals have done the job, but they do
> have the weaknesses on rides greater than 5 miles. Because I use them
> with ordinary tennis shoes I do occasionally have problems with foot
> numbness from the shoes being too flexible and as far as I know nobody
> makes a conventional cleated mountain bike shoe anymore to circumvent
> this problem.
>
> So consequently I'm open to the idea of using SPD Mountain bike pedals,
> but I'm unsure how well they'll work in the real world where the
> possibility exists of having dismount and walk on pavement. Is there
> anyone out there cyclo-commuting using SPD's willing to offer an
> opinion? I know the SPD's would give me a more positive upstroke on my
> spin, I'm afraid that I might miss the freedom of using street shoes on
> my commute.

SPD is your best bet. The cleats are recessed so you can get a walkable
shoe. You won't be able to play tennis in them, but a good touring shoe
should suffice.

Chris

In article <[email protected]>,
Cobben Sence <[email protected]> wrote:
>So consequently I'm open to the idea of using SPD Mountain bike pedals,
>but I'm unsure how well they'll work in the real world where the
>possibility exists of having dismount and walk on pavement.

SPDs are much better than toe clips if you need to mount or dismount quickly
in stop-and-go traffic. Many MTB or touring shoes are flexy enough for easy
walking for a couple of miles at a time.

On 2006-07-24, Cobben Sence <[email protected]> wrote:
> Well, it finally happened I manged to trash my classic mountinbike
> pedals and I now have to consider replacing them. (Metal fatigue
> cracked the spindle arms). although I am strongly inclined to replace
> them with more the same I'm also interested in better technology.
>
> These classic clip and strap pedals have done the job, but they do
> have the weaknesses on rides greater than 5 miles. Because I use them
> with ordinary tennis shoes I do occasionally have problems with foot
> numbness from the shoes being too flexible and as far as I know nobody
> makes a conventional cleated mountain bike shoe anymore to circumvent
> this problem.
>
> So consequently I'm open to the idea of using SPD Mountain bike pedals,
> but I'm unsure how well they'll work in the real world where the
> possibility exists of having dismount and walk on pavement. Is there
> anyone out there cyclo-commuting using SPD's willing to offer an
> opinion? I know the SPD's would give me a more positive upstroke on my
> spin, I'm afraid that I might miss the freedom of using street shoes on
> my commute.

I have no problems walking in my SPD shoes/sandals. You'll notice a
little clicking when walking on hard surfaces. It is possible to scratch
some floors with them, so you may need to take them off in those cases.

Cobben Sence wrote:
> Well, it finally happened I manged to trash my classic mountinbike
> pedals and I now have to consider replacing them. (Metal fatigue
> cracked the spindle arms). although I am strongly inclined to replace
> them with more the same I'm also interested in better technology.
>
> These classic clip and strap pedals have done the job, but they do
> have the weaknesses on rides greater than 5 miles. Because I use them
> with ordinary tennis shoes I do occasionally have problems with foot
> numbness from the shoes being too flexible and as far as I know nobody
> makes a conventional cleated mountain bike shoe anymore to circumvent
> this problem.
>
> So consequently I'm open to the idea of using SPD Mountain bike pedals,
> but I'm unsure how well they'll work in the real world where the
> possibility exists of having dismount and walk on pavement. Is there
> anyone out there cyclo-commuting using SPD's willing to offer an
> opinion? I know the SPD's would give me a more positive upstroke on my
> spin, I'm afraid that I might miss the freedom of using street shoes on
> my commute.

Grab a set of cheap and bombproof Wellgo WPD801's (also sold under the
Nashbar and Ritchey brands) and whatever walkable shoes you fancy.
Sorted.

OR

Ride in casual shoes and some massivo bear traps--the kind with the
steel pins. They do a marvelous job of keeping your feet in place. You
can use most of the stroke with these, albeit not directly up of
course.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Cobben Sence" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well, it finally happened I manged to trash my classic mountinbike
> pedals and I now have to consider replacing them. (Metal fatigue
> cracked the spindle arms). although I am strongly inclined to replace
> them with more the same I'm also interested in better technology.
>
> These classic clip and strap pedals have done the job, but they do
> have the weaknesses on rides greater than 5 miles. Because I use them
> with ordinary tennis shoes I do occasionally have problems with foot
> numbness from the shoes being too flexible and as far as I know nobody
> makes a conventional cleated mountain bike shoe anymore to circumvent
> this problem.
>
> So consequently I'm open to the idea of using SPD Mountain bike pedals,
> but I'm unsure how well they'll work in the real world where the
> possibility exists of having dismount and walk on pavement. Is there
> anyone out there cyclo-commuting using SPD's willing to offer an
> opinion? I know the SPD's would give me a more positive upstroke on my
> spin, I'm afraid that I might miss the freedom of using street shoes on
> my commute.

Two recommendations:

Get SPD with shoes recessed cleats and smooth tread; not
waffle stompers.

The SPD pedals have adjustable retaining strength. Set the
retaining strength near the low strength limit. This will
make getting out easier during the critical early learning
stage.

--
Michael Press

"Cobben Sence" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> So consequently I'm open to the idea of using SPD Mountain bike pedals,
> but I'm unsure how well they'll work in the real world where the
> possibility exists of having dismount and walk on pavement. Is there
> anyone out there cyclo-commuting using SPD's willing to offer an
> opinion? I know the SPD's would give me a more positive upstroke on my
> spin, I'm afraid that I might miss the freedom of using street shoes on
> my commute.

I use SPD shoes with recessed cleats for my commute. They look a bit odd
with non-bike clothes, and I generally change shoes when I get to work. I
wouldn't walk for miles with the cleats, but they're fine for grabbing a
coffee after the bike is parked, and then walking up to the office.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Cobben Sence wrote:

> These classic clip and strap pedals have done the job, but they do
> have the weaknesses on rides greater than 5 miles. Because I use them
> with ordinary tennis shoes I do occasionally have problems with foot
> numbness from the shoes being too flexible and as far as I know nobody
> makes a conventional cleated mountain bike shoe anymore to circumvent
> this problem.

> opinion? I know the SPD's would give me a more positive upstroke on my
> spin, I'm afraid that I might miss the freedom of using street shoes on
> my commute.

Of course you will. Commuting is about convenience. The solution is the
MKS GR-9 platform pedal with clips and straps, available at many fine
cycle shops for about $26. Look on eBay also, there are some shops
selling them regularly, along with the excellent MKS clips. Then you
can use your tennis shoes, or whatever you like on rides of any length
the rest of you can handle. And dismount and play tennis without any
fuss or extra baggage.

"Cobben Sence" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Is there anyone out there cyclo-commuting using SPD's willing to offer an
>opinion? I know the SPD's would give me a more positive upstroke on my
>spin, I'm afraid that I might miss the freedom of using street shoes on
>my commute.

IMO, the question is, Are you willing to change shoes for your commute
or not?

I strongly prefer lugged MTB style shoes and double sided MTB style
SPD pedals for all non-racing road riding. The double sided pedals
make it very, very easy to clip in at traffic lights compared to
single sided SPD pedals and even old style strapped pedals. And the
lugged soles of MTB shoes make much, much easier and, imo, safter to
touch your foot down at traffic lights and to walk around compared to
dedicated road shoes. So, if you are worried about your ability to get
in and out of pedals in trafffic and your ability to have sure
footinig both on and near the bike, the MTB gear is just great.

However, I wouldn't want to spend all day wearing SPD shoes or
sandals. Some folks do and a good many love the sandals in particular.
Velcro strapped shoes making changing shoes a snap but, it IS an extra
step. I should note that strapped pedals never offered *ME* the
versatility of both performance and convience. I blame my large foot
size. My size 13/48 street shoes would never fit into a quill style
pedal and strap that would also work with cleated road shoes. So,
even back in the day, I accepted the street shoe, cycling shoe split
in my life.

For those 5 minute errands and such, SPD pedals aren't so good unless
you committ to wearing SPD shoes all day. My errand bike is set up
with big fat BMX style platform pedals for this reason.

-- Dave
"It is impossible, or not easy, to do noble acts
without the proper equipment."
Aristotle, <<Politics>>, 1323a-b, trans Jowett

I use Zefal Strapless Toe Clips. They work very well with any shoe except
MTB shoes with a heavey tread pattern. See Model 45 on their web site at:
http://www.zefal.com/AAA/page.php?nom=produits&sousFamille=calePied&langue=an

"pinnah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Cobben Sence" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Is there anyone out there cyclo-commuting using SPD's willing to offer an
> >opinion? I know the SPD's would give me a more positive upstroke on my
> >spin, I'm afraid that I might miss the freedom of using street shoes on
> >my commute.

> IMO, the question is, Are you willing to change shoes for your commute
> or not?
>
> I strongly prefer lugged MTB style shoes and double sided MTB style
> SPD pedals for all non-racing road riding. The double sided pedals
> make it very, very easy to clip in at traffic lights compared to
> single sided SPD pedals and even old style strapped pedals. And the
> lugged soles of MTB shoes make much, much easier and, imo, safter to
> touch your foot down at traffic lights and to walk around compared to
> dedicated road shoes. So, if you are worried about your ability to get
> in and out of pedals in trafffic and your ability to have sure
> footinig both on and near the bike, the MTB gear is just great.
>
> However, I wouldn't want to spend all day wearing SPD shoes or
> sandals. Some folks do and a good many love the sandals in particular.
> Velcro strapped shoes making changing shoes a snap but, it IS an extra
> step. I should note that strapped pedals never offered *ME* the
> versatility of both performance and convience. I blame my large foot
> size. My size 13/48 street shoes would never fit into a quill style
> pedal and strap that would also work with cleated road shoes. So,
> even back in the day, I accepted the street shoe, cycling shoe split
> in my life.
>
> For those 5 minute errands and such, SPD pedals aren't so good unless
> you committ to wearing SPD shoes all day. My errand bike is set up
> with big fat BMX style platform pedals for this reason.
>

> -- Dave
> "It is impossible, or not easy, to do noble acts
> without the proper equipment."
> Aristotle, <<Politics>>, 1323a-b, trans Jowett

When I'll be doing a lot of walking in addition to riding, I use MKS
touring platforms with Power Grip straps. I find these easier to use
than conventional toe clips and straps, and they do a good job of
holding your feet in without the hassle of tightening and loosening the
straps. They work the best with shoes that lace up, as opposed to those
that use Velcro straps. I got my pedals and Power Grips from Rivendell
Bicycle Works (www.rivendellbicycles.com).

Smokey

Cobben Sence wrote:
> Well, it finally happened I manged to trash my classic mountinbike
> pedals and I now have to consider replacing them. (Metal fatigue
> cracked the spindle arms). although I am strongly inclined to replace
> them with more the same I'm also interested in better technology.
>
> These classic clip and strap pedals have done the job, but they do
> have the weaknesses on rides greater than 5 miles. Because I use them
> with ordinary tennis shoes I do occasionally have problems with foot
> numbness from the shoes being too flexible and as far as I know nobody
> makes a conventional cleated mountain bike shoe anymore to circumvent
> this problem.
>
> So consequently I'm open to the idea of using SPD Mountain bike pedals,
> but I'm unsure how well they'll work in the real world where the
> possibility exists of having dismount and walk on pavement. Is there
> anyone out there cyclo-commuting using SPD's willing to offer an
> opinion? I know the SPD's would give me a more positive upstroke on my
> spin, I'm afraid that I might miss the freedom of using street shoes on
> my commute.

In article <[email protected]>,
Cobben Sence <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well, it finally happened I manged to trash my classic mountinbike
> pedals and I now have to consider replacing them. (Metal fatigue
> cracked the spindle arms). although I am strongly inclined to replace
> them with more the same I'm also interested in better technology.
>
> These classic clip and strap pedals have done the job, but they do
> have the weaknesses on rides greater than 5 miles. Because I use them
> with ordinary tennis shoes I do occasionally have problems with foot
> numbness from the shoes being too flexible and as far as I know nobody
> makes a conventional cleated mountain bike shoe anymore to circumvent
> this problem.
>
> So consequently I'm open to the idea of using SPD Mountain bike pedals,
> but I'm unsure how well they'll work in the real world where the
> possibility exists of having dismount and walk on pavement. Is there
> anyone out there cyclo-commuting using SPD's willing to offer an
> opinion? I know the SPD's would give me a more positive upstroke on my
> spin, I'm afraid that I might miss the freedom of using street shoes on
> my commute.

No need for compromise; a pair of Wellgo WPD-95B Half/Half (SPD) pedals
is the perfect commuting and casual cyclist's choice. They are
inexpensive, can be used with SPD compatible shoes, casual footwear
such as sandals or running shoes; and, although I've not tried the
setup -- once clipless few go back -- their platforms are drilled and
slotted to accept traditional clips and straps. They offer the best of
three worlds.

Luke

Luke wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Cobben Sence <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Well, it finally happened I manged to trash my classic mountinbike
> > pedals and I now have to consider replacing them. (Metal fatigue
> > cracked the spindle arms). although I am strongly inclined to replace
> > them with more the same I'm also interested in better technology.
> >
> > These classic clip and strap pedals have done the job, but they do
> > have the weaknesses on rides greater than 5 miles. Because I use them
> > with ordinary tennis shoes I do occasionally have problems with foot
> > numbness from the shoes being too flexible and as far as I know nobody
> > makes a conventional cleated mountain bike shoe anymore to circumvent
> > this problem.
> >
> > So consequently I'm open to the idea of using SPD Mountain bike pedals,
> > but I'm unsure how well they'll work in the real world where the
> > possibility exists of having dismount and walk on pavement. Is there
> > anyone out there cyclo-commuting using SPD's willing to offer an
> > opinion? I know the SPD's would give me a more positive upstroke on my
> > spin, I'm afraid that I might miss the freedom of using street shoes on
> > my commute.
> >

> No need for compromise; a pair of Wellgo WPD-95B Half/Half (SPD) pedals
> is the perfect commuting and casual cyclist's choice. They are
> inexpensive, can be used with SPD compatible shoes, casual footwear
> such as sandals or running shoes; and, although I've not tried the
> setup -- once clipless few go back -- their platforms are drilled and
> slotted to accept traditional clips and straps. They offer the best of
> three worlds.

They're not bad, I messengered on them a few years ago. You definitely
want to use them with mtb or casual cycling shoes, As if you try to
push the wrong side in racing shoes, it's a bit awkward. You do not
even want to think about putting clips and straps on them.

I still think big ole' bear traps with a huge and supportive platform
is the best for people that commute in street clothes. Retention
systems are great if you're otherwise a recreational cyclist and that's
what you're used to.

If you're a hippie, I recommend rubber block pedals as they're great
barefoot. <g>