UK and Europe · Public discussion

Commuter lights

Started by D.M. Procida · · Last activity · 77 posts · 2,082 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
1 August 2005
Last activity
10 August 2005
Original author
D.M. Procida
Posts
77
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,082
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–77 of 77
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. D.M. Procida said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    Or you could buy solidlights 1203d
    <URL:http://www.solidlights.co.uk/products/1203d.php> - see posts by
    Chris solidlights passim - should be much brighter and more reliable
    than an incandescent light and you won't need two. But very expensive
    and I find the chunkiness/boxiness unappealing - expensive bike kit
    needs to look good, IMHO.

    This is not a recommendation - I haven't seen the thing let alone used it
    - but LED based lighting has to be the future. I have to confess I'm
    intrigued and might need to buy myself a present soon.

    So there's no reason why a dynamo can't be used with LEDs? Perhaps that
    would go some way to addressing the brighness issue mentioned earlier,
    since LEDs need less power.

    Indeed, although the LEDs need special electronics with them to give
    optimum performance. Done right, they can automatically add more light
    via another LED as the dynamo output increases with speed, giving a
    similar effect to the twin-halogen setup which has been mentioned, but
    without the complexity of wiring and switching.

    Confession: I am the man behind Solidlights.

    Chris
    --
    http://www.solidlights.co.uk/

  2. LSMike said:

    lemon entry - that's great, I'll have to remember that one!

    Punchline of a very poor Sherlock Holmes joke :-)

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  3. Graham Dean said:

    ok ok - I'm getting interested now... I'll be cycling to work over the
    winter period (12 miles each way, mainly rural)
    and I'm just thinking of building a (hack-like) bike up. It seems using a
    SON might be a GOOD THING.

    You may be onto something there ;-)

    I have just fitted the SON E6 to the SON hub on my Brompton [DIMIHAB]
    - works a treat, and I probably won't be adding a second light because
    it's *really* hard to ride at much more than 20mph on a Brompton on my
    commute :-)

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  4. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 08:19:50 +0000 (UTC), "Graham Dean"
    You may be onto something there ;-)

    I have just fitted the SON E6 to the SON hub on my Brompton [DIMIHAB]
    - works a treat, and I probably won't be adding a second light because
    it's *really* hard to ride at much more than 20mph on a Brompton on my
    commute :-)

    Guy
    --

    I know, I know - I had to accept the inevitably of it all...
    Still bloody expensive though! I'll have to sell the bike to buy the lights,
    err...

    Graham

  5. Graham Dean said:

    I know, I know - I had to accept the inevitably of it all...
    Still bloody expensive though! I'll have to sell the bike to buy the lights,
    err...

    If you are not planning on doing Audaxes or similar long rides where the
    extra drag might be an issue, the cheaper Shimano units do appear to be
    pretty good. I rode a Ridgeback hub-geared, dynohub (Nexus - presumably
    latest model) equipped bike and the drag was not noticeable. The drag of
    the knobbly tyres that some people insist on fitting to bikes sold for
    road use have a far more detrimental effect on speed.

    Jon

  6. Jon Senior said:

    If you are not planning on doing Audaxes or similar long rides where the
    extra drag might be an issue, the cheaper Shimano units do appear to be
    pretty good.

    Roos' general & commuter hack hybrid has the Ultegra one, it's about
    £60. She hasn't reported any obvious drag from riding it, says it just
    works (with a B&M Oval Senso Plus). Not doing anything monster fast on
    it, but she doesn't hang about either and hasn't had any issues with it
    at all (I imagine she'd say this herself but she's away for the week).

    The build on the SON is probably better into the much longer term and
    there's apparently a teensy bit more drag, but I certainly don't think
    Shimano are short changing anyone. Good bit of kit.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  7. "Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just a shame they haven't made a Capreo version of it, suitable for 20"
    wheels.

    What's stopping you putting the normal one in :-)

    (for me on the Brompton, it was spoke count)

    cheers,
    clive

  8. Peter Clinch said:

    Roos' general & commuter hack hybrid has the Ultegra one, it's about
    £60. She hasn't reported any obvious drag from riding it, says it just
    works (with a B&M Oval Senso Plus). Not doing anything monster fast on
    it, but she doesn't hang about either and hasn't had any issues with it
    at all (I imagine she'd say this herself but she's away for the week).

    I'm thinking of building one into a wheel for the fixer. This does of
    course involve spending, which I'm desperately trying to avoid ATM.

    Quoted message said:

    The build on the SON is probably better into the much longer term and
    there's apparently a teensy bit more drag, but I certainly don't think
    Shimano are short changing anyone. Good bit of kit.

    Just a shame they haven't made a Capreo version of it, suitable for 20"
    wheels.

    Jon

  9. Clive George said:

    What's stopping you putting the normal one in :-)

    (for me on the Brompton, it was spoke count)

    Efficiency. The SON comes in two models because the hub in a 20" wheel
    rotates faster for the same speed than a 26" / 700C.

    I didn't quite get the details (Or rather, I've now forgotten), but
    there is a problem with running the generator too fast.

    Jon

  10. In message <[email hidden]>

    Clive George said:

    "D.M. Procida" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Clive George said:

    Hub dynamo. No cells at all.

    I knew someone would say that.

    What I'm wondering is how many people will say it :-)

    Quoted message said:

    I'd have to get my brand new bike's wheel
    rebuilt in any case, and the whole business (rebuild, lights, dynamo)
    would work out expensive I fear.

    Well, you never mentioned a budget. What is it?
    TBH I wouldn't rebuild your new bike's wheel, I'd get a whole new one.
    (you'll need new spokes anyway and the new hub is obvious).

    Keep the old wheel with an inflated tube and tyre so that you can
    swap it on if you find you have a puncture when leaving for work at 3pm.
    (and carry that LED spare light.)

    Quoted message said:

    Somebody
    mentioned some very cheap ones based on the older shimano hubs a few days
    ago. Yes, the older shimano ones had more drag than a SON - but the
    difference isn't noticable when riding IME.

    From wiggle a M:Wheels Nexus hub with mavic rim, 85ukp for the wheel
    if you make the total order above 100ukp. M:Wheels are hand finished.

    Martin.

    --
    Typed by monkey #27662472869676 on typewriter #7552416572242
    When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.

  11. In message <[email hidden]>

    Arthur Clune said:

    D.M. Procida <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : See, this is the kind of thing about dynamo lighting which makes me feel
    : it's the province of the eager tweaker who has the skills and
    : inclination to get it all perfect rather than the fit-and-forget kind of
    : person.

    I couldn't have put it better myself. I don't want to do my own wiring. I
    just want it to work.

    I would put it the other way around. The dynamo its fit and forget,
    it takes a while to fit it though.

    With my current rechargeables (the dynahub was posted from wiggle today),
    it is fit and remember how long you have used it for, does it need
    recharging, are you going to leave work with the battery still at home on
    the charger, has the battery died again from overchargeing/full discharge.

    Martin.

    --
    Typed by monkey #27662472869676 on typewriter #7552416572242
    When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.

  12. On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 23:24:10 +0100 someone who may be Martin Dann
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    With my current rechargeables (the dynahub was posted from wiggle today),
    it is fit and remember how long you have used it for, does it need
    recharging, are you going to leave work with the battery still at home on
    the charger, has the battery died again from overchargeing/full discharge.

    There are "intelligent" battery charges that largely solve charging
    problems. One of these can be at home and the unintelligent charger
    that came with the lighting set left at work if necessary for a
    boost.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E
    I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK government
    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  13. David Hansen said:


    There are "intelligent" battery charges that largely solve charging
    problems. One of these can be at home and the unintelligent charger
    that came with the lighting set left at work if necessary for a
    boost.

    Yep, just need to buy a set of these lights and you'll be sorted!
    http://snipurl.com/grah

    --
    Tony

    "I did make a mistake once - I thought I'd made a mistake but I hadn't"
    Anon

  14. Tony Raven said:

    Yep, just need to buy a set of these lights and you'll be sorted!
    http://snipurl.com/grah

    Oh aye, I'll take two of them! Good grief, I thought my *bike* was
    expensive.

    For those of us using prehistoric Ni-Mh batteries and paltry 5W lighting,
    there are lots of good battery chargers available from model shops. I've
    been using the Ripmax Pro-Peak Prodigy digital charger with great results,
    after the "smart" charger that came with my Vistalites died after a couple
    of months' use.

    Becky

  15. Jon Senior said:

    They're also apparently "the No.1-choice for 24 hour races." despite a
    maximum burn time of 4 hours!

    My #1 choice for a folding bike would be Len Rubin's $10k titanium
    Brompton copy (http://www.ufbusa.com/). However I actually ride a
    standard L3 Brompton.

    --
    Tony

    "I did make a mistake once - I thought I'd made a mistake but I hadn't"
    Anon

  16. in message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven

    (') said:
    Arthur Clune said:

    Tony Raven <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : My #1 choice for a folding bike would be Len Rubin's $10k titanium
    : Brompton copy (http://www.ufbusa.com/). However I actually ride a
    : standard L3 Brompton.

    Pete Eland (Velovision) has a Ti Brompton (in fact, I think he has
    two) at the moment, and I hope to get to ride one later this week 🙂

    An all Ti one? The current Ti B still has the main frame in steel with
    just forks, rear triangle and seatpost in Ti. Len Rubin's by contrast
    is an all Ti frame. Drool...fold....drool....unfold....

    ....and it doesn't even corrode when you drool on it!

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.

  17. Simon Brooke said:


    Or you could buy solidlights 1203d
    <URL:http://www.solidlights.co.uk/products/1203d.php> - see posts by
    Chris solidlights passim - should be much brighter and more reliable
    than an incandescent light and you won't need two. But very expensive
    and I find the chunkiness/boxiness unappealing - expensive bike kit
    needs to look good, IMHO.

    This is not a recommendation - I haven't seen the thing let alone used it
    - but LED based lighting has to be the future. I have to confess I'm
    intrigued and might need to buy myself a present soon.

    I've used a borrowed 1103 (comparing it with my own Lumotec and bottle
    dynamo, EL-300, and 10W halogen running on NiCds (not all at once)),
    and am trying to persuade myself I can justify the cost of a 1203D and
    hub dynamo. It's a lot of money when what I have is adequate for the job,
    even if it would be clearly nicer (similarly a recumbent).

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.