UK and Europe · Public discussion

Commuting cycle suggestions?

Started by !Speedy Gonzales! · · Last activity · 22 posts · 1,127 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
24 February 2008
Last activity
26 February 2008
Original author
!Speedy Gonzales!
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,127
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–22 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Rob Morley said:

    In article <d4ef56f3-2144-42bc-a6ff-4a077eb41730
    @e60g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, spindrift
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    vernon said:

    "!Speedy Gonzales!" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    messagenews:[email hidden]...> So, can anyone recommend better, a bike that is pretty sturdy, can keep up
    > with traffic, cost around £700 and come with wider than norm road
    > tyres(have you seen Edinburgh's roads lately?
    Dawes Galaxy?

    Have a look atwww.spacycles.co.ukfor lower prices.


    Would you use a Tourer for commuting?


    Is there anything more suitable?

    Depends on what you are after. For low maintenance, a hub geared, roller
    braked hybrid like the Nemesis works for me if I need to carry stuff
    into the office. When I can travel light (most days), I opt for the
    simplicity of a fixie.

    For the OP.

    I commute in Edinburgh each day so I know the way the roads are going.
    My commute is from outside the bypass, up Buirdiehouse and into the
    centre of town. If the potholes along that route are the norm, then
    Clarence has a lot of work to do.

    My main bike for this ride is a fixed wheel Pearson Touche with 25mm
    tyres. The total package I went for came in at just under £600 with
    mudguards and Gatorskin tyres. These have been up to the job. The bike
    comes with mounts for panniers.

    I have not had any problems with it's ability to soak up the bumps,
    going over the cobbles of the high street is more comfortable (if it
    could be called that) on this bike than on either my Nemesis or my
    Cannodale Tourer. Mainly because it has carbon forks.

    As for the speed, with the way the roadworks are holding things up in
    Minto St and Princes St, this is hardly a problem at the moment. Even
    before they started I was keeping pace.

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    "The POP3 server service depends on the SMTP server service,
    which failed to start because of the following error: The
    operation completed successfully." (Windows NT Server v3.51)

  2. In article <[email hidden]>, Ian Smith
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    spindrift said:
    vernon said:


    Dawes Galaxy?
    Have a look at www.spacycles.co.ukfor lower prices.

    Would you use a Tourer for commuting?

    I commuted on a Dawes Galaxy for about ten years.

    I commuted on my FW Evans tourer for more than 17 years.
    --
    congokid
    Eating out in London? Read my tips...
    http://congokid.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.