Compact Frames

valkis

Jan 28, 2006
Just curious as to peoples thoughts on compact frames. As i am in the market for a new road bike, quite a few models are compact. As I am 6'3 (60cm+ frame), are compact frames suitable for taller riders? Are there any issues with having the seatpost longer than a full-framed bike?

valkis said:
Just curious as to peoples thoughts on compact frames. As i am in the market for a new road bike, quite a few models are compact. As I am 6'3 (60cm+ frame), are compact frames suitable for taller riders? Are there any issues with having the seatpost longer than a full-framed bike?
This is from last week's Roadbikerider newsletter:

========================================
Compact Frames o^o o^o o^o o^o o^o o^o

I'm feeling a bit like a dinosaur, resisting some of the new technology because it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Some stuff seems to change more for marketing reasons than for actual improvement.

Then there are changes that, once they sink in, really start working. One example is compact frames -- the ones with sharply sloping top tubes.

When the first compacts hit the market, it seemed like a "three sizes fit no one" scheme. Hey, it's bound to be cheaper to manufacture 3 or 4 frame sizes than the traditional 8 or more.

"Just change the stem length," they said. "Bullbleep," I said. How are you ever going to get the handlebar high enough (or low enough) to fit a rider's specific needs? Who wants a stem that sticks straight up their nostrils? Compact bikes looked like someone's bad dream with 2 feet of seatpost showing.

But those designer dudes/dudettes are smart. They soon realized that, yup, they had to build more frame sizes. And lo and behold, they could also build a compact frame with a longer head tube and a lower standover height for those wanting a higher handlebar than conventional frames can offer.

For example, Trek with its Pilot series and Specialized with its Roubaix series give riders what they ask for: a bit more comfort for those aging, aching backs. They also give us stems that flip-flop and can be fine-tuned to get a perfect position without looking like a total geek.

After a few years of such tweaking, even stodgy ol' me can agree that compacts work. But you've got to pay attention to a couple of things before you commit to buying one.

---First, top tube length. The top tube is a "virtual" dimension because it's an imaginary horizontal line measured from an imaginary center line on the seat tube to the actual center line on the head tube. Sounds like Alice in Wonderland, doesn't it? Forget about standover height because if the frame is the size you need, you'll have oodles of crotch clearance. Reach to the handlebar is what's absolutely critical.

---Second, stiffness. Depending on frame material, compacts tend toward being stiffer rides. However, Trek, Specialized and probably others have taken huge steps toward offering frames rigid enough to fly up hills yet with an amazingly comfortable ride. Sounds impossible, but remember these designers are way smart. They call it "vertical compliance." I call it a dream come true.

Although I still like the looks of a traditional frame with a horizontal top tube, I'm no longer suspicious that compacts are mainly a marketing scheme. They work and work well. They've opened up a world of possibilities in terms of fit, ride quality and coolness factor.

And they look fast just sittin' there, don't they?
========================================

I'm 5'11' and have a compact which has been fine. I guess it just comes down to if it fits.

cheers

// kak

Also a 'compact' frame has less material obviously thereby making it inherently lighter... But due to my body weight I restist having a compact frame as I can't have that much seat post sticking out.

Although I have a prediction... The fashion will change and you'll see forward sloping top tubes within a couple of years.

mezzinator said:
Although I have a prediction... The fashion will change and you'll see forward sloping top tubes within a couple of years.

I've already built one and am trying to sell the design to Trek, but they seem to think pro riders wouldn't like pedalling with their hands.
What's up with that?

izzythedan said:
I've already built one and am trying to sell the design to Trek, but they seem to think pro riders wouldn't like pedalling with their hands.
What's up with that?
The Danmeister!!!

Didn't know you frequented these forums!! :)

valkis said:

I'm going to say no, don't get one. I'm 6.1 and had a Giant TCR compact, medium size. The large at that time was too long. The main problem was that the head tube was only 13cm long. I had to reach down a considerable distance, which caused major postural disfunction; I was slipping discs and pinching nerves in my neck! I now have a Bianchi with a 21cm head tube...no more problems (apart from two cracked frames, but that's a different story!)

Some manufacturers are now making compact models with extended head tubes that rise a few inches above the top tube. The giant OCR and Specialized Roubaix are two examples of this.

Just be aware: The larger the compact frame size, the greater the (possible)discepency between handlebar and seat height. Have a look at the seat/handlebar height difference on the pros bikes who use traditionally shaped frames. It's no where near as much as on a compact frame (with the exception of Pettachi). Moral: Compact frames force you to adopt a different riding position.

My ten cents!! :)

F.