Comparable to a Specialized Allez?

YoshiFtJ

Apr 24, 2014
I am in the market for a new bike (I've been running a single-speed Schwinn road bike for quite some time). I hit up my local bike shop and the employee was pushing me to an Allez ($770 IIRC).

I am pretty impressed with the bike but I like to shop around to see what I can get for my money. I was on BikesDirect (I know this site is brought up a lot around here) and I see quite a few bikes, some on sale starting at $350ish.

What bikes would compare to the Allez? Of course it doesn't have to be from BikesDirect, I am looking for a general idea what I should try out.

Or maybe the Allez is the real deal and I should go with it.

Depends on what type of riding you want to do and your budget. Fit is also a consideration. Look for bikes with similar frame quality and component group to comparison shop.

The Allez is a great bike but try to avoid the Shimano 2300 combo with the 25t rear cassette, it makes climbing really hard...

Try a Tiagra or Sora version perhaps with at least a 28t rear cassette. I think the new Shimano 2300 is the "Claris" line...

There is a Fuji that has an SRAM 32T rear so the Claris rear mech can support such a cassette in contrast with the Shimano 2300 which apparently is only Ok up to 26t allthough "it might" be Ok up to 28t.

Similar bikes (but not all with a similar price) are

-The Caad10 from Cannondale. (about 100euro more)

-Fuji non endurance alu bikes.

-The Bianchi Alu bikes.

-Also Merida alu road bikes (very similar to the Allez and apparently Specialized makes some stuff in Merida's factory in Taiwan).

etc

It's mostly for commuting around the city. Biking is my main form of transportation and I'm looking for something that will make the trip easier.

It's hard to know what a bikes build quality is when they are online only.

For example, here is a bike I have never seen of heard of until coming across it online: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_cross_cx3.htm

Which category of bike should I be looking at for a city commuter?

Oh, this one looks like something I'd like: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/road_bikes/mirage_s.htm

First things first.

1. Do you know what size bike you need?

At the very least, you should measure your inseam in the shoes you ride in. The standover clearance on a bicycle should be 1" or more lower than your measured inseam.

A second, very rough gauge of how well a bike fits is to sit on the saddle, hands on bars and look down. The handlebar should obscure the front hub, or at least be close to it.

A bike shop can assist you with sizing, or you can get a rough idea here, by taking a set of measurements:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

Bikesdirect usually provides a chart with a rough guesstimate about which size might fit you, based on height. Better to get fitted at a shop or take your own measurements.

FYI, the second bike you linked to is sold out, and the first bike linked has limited sizes available.

Originally Posted by YoshiFtJ
It's mostly for commuting around the city. Biking is my main form of transportation and I'm looking for something that will make the trip easier.

It's hard to know what a bikes build quality is when they are online only.

Which category of bike should I be looking at for a city commuter?

Ok, maybe forget about the Allez then. Even though it can be used as a commuter, what it is, is an aluminium race bike. (I have an Allez and it's my only bike at the moment) it's not such a great choice for commuting, it's pretty fast but:

For commuting maybe like this would be more suitable:

1. Rack fittings

2. Fender fittings

3. If the weather is really bad, maybe disc brakes. (Rim brakes dont that great in the rain in the traffic)

4. Low profile for theft avoidance (but maybe you live in Monaco or something)

5. Possibly an aluminium frame if you have issues with corrosion, also a bit cheaper then steel, or steel if you need a bike that will last more km's (so they say anyway) a "more shock absorbent" feel. But steel is more high maintentance.

Another issue is that since steel is 3 times stronger then Aluminium, the frames are also usually three times thinner in wall and tube diameter. Works pretty well for road loads, but banging them in poles with U-locks, not so much, they might dent more easily.

6. You can also try internal hub gears, but these usually limit the gear ratios alot, are you gonna be doing lots of climbing?

7. Commuter high mileage tires with good grip. (training tires maybe).

8. Lights, detachable good ones. Unless you have secure parking in both ends of your trip.

9. Locks. (Depending on the nice-ness of your area, the worst the area, the heavier they get)

10. Helmet.

11. Clothing

12. Maybe you wanna switch from brifters (brake-shifter combination, about 60euro each for the cheapest option) to bar end, or down tube shifters (about 10 euro each for the highest quality option).

13. Heavy duty wheels.

14. Panniers

etc.

Anyway... a few suggestions for commuters:

1. Specialized Tricross Disk (Either steel or aluminium)

2. Surly Cross Check

3. Trek Tourer.

4. Fuji Tourer.

5. Ridley alu cyclocross bikes

Or Something similar with the above.

Non racing dedicated cyclocross bikes (the non carbon stuff) usually have rack and fender fittings so they will also work as a commuter.

Good luck!
smile.png

This is great info, thanks guys! I live in a not-so-great area. I doubt I'd get mugged or anything like that, but I wouldn't trust a bike outside too long. The less flashy, the better I'd think. I bring my bike indoors, which is up on the third floor. It would also be fantastic if the bike was fitted with one of those front wheel releases, it would make bringing it up the narrow stair well.

Originally Posted by YoshiFtJ

I bring my bike indoors, which is up on the third floor. It would also be fantastic if the bike was fitted with one of those front wheel releases, it would make bringing it up the narrow stair well.

Hey that's good... But for outside get a heavy duty chain lock like this: (Kryptonite mini-chain, from the orange (evolution) series. These definately need to be cut in 2 places to release the bike, in contrast with a D-lock where it might be possible to breach by breaking the shackle in one side and then just break the lock mechanism in the barel with leverage...

Anyway... Since you mentioned carrying the bike upstairs, all Cyclocross tires are -designed- to be carried on the shoulder when the surface is very bad: So maybe a cyclocross bike would fit the bill.

Yeah quick release is handy when changing flats. But doing that after every ride might get a bit boring. Plus it's realy easy to have just one wheel stolen.

Or something like this (dont like the metal buckle on this one though, it might scratch the paint):

Btw prepare for constant bike lube stains in your pants...
big-smile.png