On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:22:45 -0500, tmac <tracey at dontspamme mccartney
dot net said:Hi:
I'm old and fat and trying to get back into casual bicycling. An
accident I had a few years ago on my 18-year-old Wal-Mart Huffy
mountain bike, which was really too tall for me, has spooked me a
little. I broke my wrist and sprained my ankle just - get this -
dismounting on uneven ground. <hanging head in shame>
I am looking hard at the Specialized Crossroads Sport - from
everything I've heard and read, it would be about my speed, and in a
price range I could handle.
Are there comparable models in other brands I should check out as
well? For example, does Trek have something along those lines I
should be checking out?
Thanks,
Tracey
I highly recommend (am also old and fat, but not as much as a year ago.
<g>😉:
o a non-suspended bike with straight bars
o Trek 7500FX at around 600bucks.
Of course it depends on where you're riding. But you do NOT need suspension
forks. They're a load of BS for anyone not doing hard core off road riding,
IMO, and dramatically increase the weight of the bike. Also, don't fall for
the [censored] about getting a MTB if you're riding on the road, or hardpack. Go
for a roadbike, non-suspended, and 700x35 tires.
If you're not sure that you'll keep up the riding, best idea is to get a
used bike - there's a pretty large probability that the bike will live in
the garage for life after the first two weeks. <g>
If you don't mind my asking, why the Specialized Crossroads Sport?
HTH,
-B