Compartment Syndrome - Leg Cramps

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Mike Peretz, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Mike Peretz

    Mike Peretz Guest

    After only walking for about 10 minutes I start getting horrible cramps in my lower leg (usually on
    the side of the leg). The pain gets worst the more I walk and gets resolved if I rest. Doctors told
    me that I might have Compartment Syndrome. I read a lot about it, and the symptoms are very similar
    what I have. Apparently the only true cure is surgery. I wonder if anyone has done it and if it was
    successful.

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Mike Peretz <[email protected]> wrote:
    : After only walking for about 10 minutes I start getting horrible cramps in my lower leg (usually
    : on the side of the leg). The pain gets worst the more I walk and gets resolved if I rest. Doctors
    : told me that I might have Compartment Syndrome. I read a lot about it, and the symptoms are very
    : similar what I have. Apparently the only true cure is surgery. I wonder if anyone has done it and
    : if it was successful.

    Past medical history?

  3. "Mike Peretz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After only walking for about 10 minutes I start getting horrible cramps in my lower leg (usually
    > on the side of the leg). The pain gets worst the
    more
    > I walk and gets resolved if I rest. Doctors told me that I might have Compartment Syndrome. I read
    > a lot about it, and the symptoms are very similar what I have. Apparently the only true cure is
    > surgery. I wonder if anyone has done it and if it was successful.

    That doesn't sound like compartment syndrome at all. Your limited description is very suggestive of
    intermittent claudication - a blockage somewhere in the main artery that sends blood to the leg. The
    pain from intermittent claudication occurs as a result of lack of blood supply, and therefore lack
    of oxygen, to the leg muscles fed by that artery. The cramping in intermittent claudication is from
    muscle ischemia.

    HMc

  4. J and b 50

    J and b 50 Guest

    You described my condition to a T, mine was diagnosed as intermittent claudication as in previous
    post. The blockage is in the popliteal artery behind my knee.

  5. David Rind

    David Rind Guest

    Mike Peretz wrote:
    > After only walking for about 10 minutes I start getting horrible cramps in my lower leg (usually
    > on the side of the leg). The pain gets worst the more I walk and gets resolved if I rest. Doctors
    > told me that I might have Compartment Syndrome. I read a lot about it, and the symptoms are very
    > similar what I have. Apparently the only true cure is surgery. I wonder if anyone has done it and
    > if it was successful.

    Are you sure they really said "compartment syndrome" rather than "claudication"? Since a compartment
    syndrome is an emergency, I doubt they would have been discussing elective surgery with you if
    that's what they thought it was.

    --
    David Rind [email protected]

  6. Mike Peretz

    Mike Peretz Guest

    Doctors told me it might be intermittent claudicating so
    they asked me to under go some medial tests to verify if the
    blood flow to the leg is compromised. These tests showed
    that there is no problems with blood flow, that's when they
    started to suggest Compartment Syndrom. I am also 30 years
    old and it is very unlikely that I have intermittent
    claudicating in my age.

    Tomorrow I am going to see another doctor for a second
    option, lets see what he says. As for compartment syndrome
    being an emergency, that is only one type of it.

    I don't know my medical history because I am adopted.

    "Howard McCollister" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Mike Peretz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > After only walking for about 10 minutes I start getting
    > > horrible cramps
    in
    > > my lower leg (usually on the side of the leg). The pain
    > > gets worst the
    > more
    > > I walk and gets resolved if I rest. Doctors told me that
    > > I might have Compartment Syndrome. I read a lot about
    > > it, and the symptoms are very similar what I have.
    > > Apparently the only true cure is surgery. I wonder
    if
    > > anyone has done it and if it was successful.
    > >

    > That doesn't sound like compartment syndrome at all. Your
    > limited description is very suggestive of intermittent
    > claudication - a blockage somewhere in the main artery
    > that sends blood to the leg. The pain from intermittent
    > claudication occurs as a result of lack of blood supply,
    > and therefore lack of oxygen, to the leg muscles fed by
    > that artery. The cramping in intermittent claudication is
    > from muscle ischemia.
    >
    > HMc

  7. Anon

    Anon Guest

    On 2004-03-07 09:44:02 -0500, "Mike Peretz" <[email protected]> said:

    > I don't know my medical history because I am adopted.

    Um...that might make it difficult to know your *family*
    history, but your *medical* history is your own.

  8. Mike Peretz

    Mike Peretz Guest

    Thanks for the correction. I never had any health issues
    until this came up...

    "anon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:2004030711153416807%[email protected]...
    > On 2004-03-07 09:44:02 -0500, "Mike Peretz"
    > <[email protected]> said:
    >
    > > I don't know my medical history because I am adopted.
    >
    > Um...that might make it difficult to know your *family*
    > history, but your *medical* history is your own.

  9. David Rind

    David Rind Guest

    Mike Peretz wrote:
    > Doctors told me it might be intermittent claudicating so
    > they asked me to under go some medial tests to verify if
    > the blood flow to the leg is compromised. These tests
    > showed that there is no problems with blood flow, that's
    > when they started to suggest Compartment Syndrom. I am
    > also 30 years old and it is very unlikely that I have
    > intermittent claudicating in my age.
    >
    > Tomorrow I am going to see another doctor for a second
    > option, lets see what he says. As for compartment syndrome
    > being an emergency, that is only one type of it.

    Never know when you'll learn something new on sci.med. I
    have to admit to never having heard of this, but now just
    went off and read about "chronic compartment syndrome",
    which indeed seems to present similarly to claudication,
    except it happens in young people with more vigorous
    exercise. Have others here heard about this before?

    --
    David Rind [email protected]

  10. "David Rind" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mike Peretz wrote:
    > > Doctors told me it might be intermittent claudicating so
    > > they asked me
    > > under go some medial tests to verify if the blood flow
    > > to the leg is compromised. These tests showed that there
    > > is no problems with blood
    flow,
    > > that's when they started to suggest Compartment Syndrom.
    > > I am also 30
    years
    > > old and it is very unlikely that I have intermittent
    > > claudicating in my
    age.

    > > Tomorrow I am going to see another doctor for a second
    > > option, lets see
    what
    > > he says. As for compartment syndrome being an emergency,
    > > that is only
    one
    > > type of it.
    >
    > Never know when you'll learn something new on sci.med. I
    > have to admit to never having heard of this, but now just
    > went off and read about "chronic compartment syndrome",
    > which indeed seems to present similarly to claudication,
    > except it happens in young people with more vigorous
    > exercise. Have others here heard about this before?

    Yes, it's in the differential for a younger person with
    claudication symptoms, especially if he has normal resting
    and excercise ABIs. I've never seen it, however, nor has my
    partner, a fellowship-trained Sports Medicine orthopod who
    used to be the team physician for the Philadelphia Eagles.
    That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, of course, and this is
    a case where excercise compartment manometry should
    probably be done.

    The OP didn't mention his age or exercise habits. A good
    example of the pitfalls of offering medical advice over
    the internet.

    HMc