Your Bloody Soap Box · Public discussion

compassionate conservatism

Started by ryan_velo. · · Last activity · 24 posts · 3,714 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Your Bloody Soap Box
Published
10 March 2005
Last activity
17 March 2005
Original author
ryan_velo.
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,714
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–24 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I understand what you are saying, and I disagree with much government spending on many different fronts. Now, as far as percentages go, the poor pay very little, if any, taxes, while the burden falls on the middle and upper income brackets. The vast majority of taxes get paid by those with the money, while the services paid for by tax money are used less by the same people who pay more. Lowering taxes on dividends is great. That isn't free money, it had to be earned before it could be invested, so taxes have already been paid. No matter how you look at it, those with the most money pay the most taxes. They pay more in income tax, sales tax, luxury taxes, dividend taxes, estate taxes, etc. Personally, I am a big supporter of the flat tax idea, as it would stop many of the abuses by both the upper and lower ends, but that is not going to happen because tax law is the only real method government can use to advance its agenda. I think identifying myself as a conservative is true, although I don't always agree with what supposedly conservative government does. There is no way you are going to always agree with other's decisions, and there is no one political party that eschews all my beliefs. I consider myself a true conservative and a libertarian, even if those in government who profess similar ideas do not always act like it. I think government actions taint the philosophy of conservatism (or liberalism or libertarianism or any ism), and shouldn't change the meaning. While I definitely prefer George Bush over what Kerry stands for, I don't really believe either one would ruin the US. I think government makes good and bad decisions no matter who is in office.

    davidmc said:

    Mr. ghostpedal, pray tell, have you seen Senor Bush's budget (if you want to call it that) 😕 . I'll tell you one thing, it aint' conservative. He's doing his level best to spend as much nonexistent money as he can while raining tax-cuts down on the wealthy. How admirable 🙄 He's doing one of two things w/ your tax $ a) giving it back to the wealthy or b) siphoning it off to the mil.indust. complex. Under Bush's tax plan, Warren Buffet's secretary will pay a larger portion of her salary to taxes than buffet will. He wants to tax salaries & lower the taxes on dividend's (if you don't know what those are, they are things that poor people DON'T have) Does that seem right to you. If you think the main concern's of the Fascist's, errr...I mean Compassionate Conservatives are social & not financial then consider yourself "hood-winked". Herr Rove has suceeded. You might want to rethink you're position.

  2. ghostpedal said:

    I understand what you are saying, and I disagree with much government spending on many different fronts. Now, as far as percentages go, the poor pay very little, if any, taxes, while the burden falls on the middle and upper income brackets. The vast majority of taxes get paid by those with the money, while the services paid for by tax money are used less by the same people who pay more. Lowering taxes on dividends is great. That isn't free money, it had to be earned before it could be invested, so taxes have already been paid. No matter how you look at it, those with the most money pay the most taxes. They pay more in income tax, sales tax, luxury taxes, dividend taxes, estate taxes, etc. Personally, I am a big supporter of the flat tax idea, as it would stop many of the abuses by both the upper and lower ends, but that is not going to happen because tax law is the only real method government can use to advance its agenda. I think identifying myself as a conservative is true, although I don't always agree with what supposedly conservative government does. There is no way you are going to always agree with other's decisions, and there is no one political party that eschews all my beliefs. I consider myself a true conservative and a libertarian, even if those in government who profess similar ideas do not always act like it. I think government actions taint the philosophy of conservatism (or liberalism or libertarianism or any ism), and shouldn't change the meaning. While I definitely prefer George Bush over what Kerry stands for, I don't really believe either one would ruin the US. I think government makes good and bad decisions no matter who is in office.


    very level-headed post. I respect one who stands by their position. I am for personal responsibility myself but, all are not equal. This Repub. Admin. has raised the debt ceiling 3X, run up a record deficit to $7.6 trillion saddling EVERY AMERICAN w/ a bill of $26K, ect... They would have you beleive that its all about gay marriage, flag burning, ect... but it comes down to running our country into an abyss of debt so deep, it will take generations to fix it, all the while extending a tax cut which primarily benefits the wealthiest of society. This, taking into acct. our currencies worthlessness oversea's is wrecklessly irresponsible. I thought conservatism also applied to finances, no 😕 I guess I was wrong.

  3. Hughes to fix US image abroad 😕

  4. It is irresponsible and I disagree with it completely. I do believe that being fiscally conservative is a good thing, but unfortunately most politicians of recent years, regardless of supposedly ideology (including the current Bush administration) don't seem to act this way. I don't spend more than I earn, why can the government? Remember, just because Bush labels himself a conservative doesn't mean he always acts that way. The idea of conservatism is an idea that is firmly defined, and is not changed by the actions of people who label themselves conservatives. Suicide bombers see themselves as righteous crusaders and martyrs, but I don't believe it. Ideology and actions are seperate things.

    davidmc said:

    very level-headed post. I respect one who stands by their position. I am for personal responsibility myself but, all are not equal. This Repub. Admin. has raised the debt ceiling 3X, run up a record deficit to $7.6 trillion saddling EVERY AMERICAN w/ a bill of $26K, ect... They would have you beleive that its all about gay marriage, flag burning, ect... but it comes down to running our country into an abyss of debt so deep, it will take generations to fix it, all the while extending a tax cut which primarily benefits the wealthiest of society. This, taking into acct. our currencies worthlessness oversea's is wrecklessly irresponsible. I thought conservatism also applied to finances, no 😕 I guess I was wrong.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.