Compatable 8 speed freewheels?

Raggy

Apr 30, 2005
Hi,
I currently have the following on my bike, Campag ergo levers, Campag Chorus rear mech and a Sachs 8 speed screw on Freewheel, which work OK. Now the problem, I have just gained some carbon wheels that have a 7 speed freewheel and I want to change it for an 8 speed to make it compatible, however I can't now get hold of any sachs 8 speed freewheels.

Can I use a shimano 8 speed freewheel
or
does anyone know if the Regina America 92 8 speed freewheels (which I can get) are of the correct spacing?

Many thanks

Raggy

Raggy said:
Hi,
I currently have the following on my bike, Campag ergo levers, Campag Chorus rear mech and a Sachs 8 speed screw on Freewheel, which work OK. Now the problem, I have just gained some carbon wheels that have a 7 speed freewheel and I want to change it for an 8 speed to make it compatible, however I can't now get hold of any sachs 8 speed freewheels.

Can I use a shimano 8 speed freewheel
or
does anyone know if the Regina America 92 8 speed freewheels (which I can get) are of the correct spacing?

Many thanks

Raggy
Shimano 8 and campy 8 cog spacing are different.

boudreaux said:
Shimano 8 and campy 8 cog spacing are different.
I've looked at Sheldon Browns web site and the difference is only 0.2mm (campag 5mm, Shimano 4.8mm), and have seen on some different posts that using a Campag rear mech will allow it to work with that difference, due to the way the mech moves, (but a shimano will not work with a campag spacing) but would like to hear from anyone who has had experience with this setup.

Raggy said:
I've looked at Sheldon Browns web site and the difference is only 0.2mm (campag 5mm, Shimano 4.8mm), and have seen on some different posts that using a Campag rear mech will allow it to work with that difference, due to the way the mech moves, (but a shimano will not work with a campag spacing) but would like to hear from anyone who has had experience with this setup.

I've got the reverse setup. Ultegra 8-speed drivetrain and Sachs 8-speed freewheel. The FW has brown spacers which I believe is Campy spacing. I think black spacers are Shimano. Or do I have that backwards? Anyway, it all works fine.

Gonzo Bob said:
I've got the reverse setup. Ultegra 8-speed drivetrain and Sachs 8-speed freewheel. The FW has brown spacers which I believe is Campy spacing. I think black spacers are Shimano. Or do I have that backwards? Anyway, it all works fine.
Thats right, the brown spaces do gice Campag's 5mm spacing, unfortunately getting hold of one of these blocks is now a rare thing, which is why I am looking at alternatives.