Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Compressed Air Fillers for Tires - Help Request !!!!

Started by Gunny Bunny · · Last activity · 17 posts · 1,751 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 April 2004
Last activity
25 April 2004
Original author
Gunny Bunny
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,751
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,

    I have heard there is a method of replacing tire tubes and filling them
    quickly using a compressed air cartridge, anyone have a link to some and any
    recommendations on quality.

    In addition, I currently have the standard folding Allan Key set in my
    saddle post bag, it looks like there might be some better quality one's
    available with more features....recommendations 🙂

    Thank you

  2. Gunny Bunny said:

    Hello,

    I have heard there is a method of replacing tire tubes and filling them
    quickly using a compressed air cartridge, anyone have a link to some and any
    recommendations on quality.

    Don't know about replacing the tube, but if a C02 inflator is what
    you're looking for, you can browse through
    http://www.epinions.com/bike-Components-All-Pumps
    for some suggestions. One thing to keep in mind though; Some of these
    gets *really* cold when you inflate a tire, so make sure you wear gloves
    at least the first time you use it.

    /hall

    --
    Please remove capital x from email to reply

  3. hall said:
    Gunny Bunny said:

    Hello,

    I have heard there is a method of replacing tire tubes and filling
    them quickly using a compressed air cartridge, anyone have a link to
    some and any recommendations on quality.

    Don't know about replacing the tube, but if a C02 inflator is what
    you're looking for, you can browse through
    http://www.epinions.com/bike-Components-All-Pumps
    for some suggestions. One thing to keep in mind though; Some of these
    gets *really* cold when you inflate a tire, so make sure you wear
    gloves at least the first time you use it.

    I have a Superflate, which contains the cartridge in a plastic case, so the cold
    isn't a problem. It works great. Performance has a whole slew of them here:

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/subcategory.cfm?Cat_ID=18&Sub_ID=4362

    But what if you get more flats than you have cartridges? Plus, every time you
    get a flat it costs you an extra buck.

    Matt O.

  4. "Matt O'Toole" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    hall said:
    Gunny Bunny said:

    Hello,

    I have heard there is a method of replacing tire tubes and filling
    them quickly using a compressed air cartridge, anyone have a link to
    some and any recommendations on quality.

    Don't know about replacing the tube, but if a C02 inflator is what
    you're looking for, you can browse through
    http://www.epinions.com/bike-Components-All-Pumps
    for some suggestions. One thing to keep in mind though; Some of these
    gets *really* cold when you inflate a tire, so make sure you wear
    gloves at least the first time you use it.

    I have a Superflate, which contains the cartridge in a plastic case, so


    the cold

    Quoted message said:

    isn't a problem. It works great. Performance has a whole slew of them


    here:

    Quoted message said:



    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/subcategory.cfm?Cat_ID=18&Sub_ID=4362

    Quoted message said:


    But what if you get more flats than you have cartridges? Plus, every time


    you

    Quoted message said:

    get a flat it costs you an extra buck.

    Matt O.

    I have a portable pump, but CO2 would be faster when with fellow riders !

  5. "Gunny Bunny" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I have heard there is a method of replacing tire tubes and filling them
    quickly using a compressed air cartridge, anyone have a link to some and any
    recommendations on quality.

    In addition, I currently have the standard folding Allan Key set in my
    saddle post bag, it looks like there might be some better quality one's
    available with more features....recommendations 🙂

    Thank you

    Hi, on the tire inflators, any made by Innovations are ok. Be sure to
    get one that allows you to use both threaded and unthreaded
    cartridges. The cartridges are cheaper, if you buy them boxed for use
    with paint or pellet guns. Here is the type I carry in a bag, on both
    my bikes:
    http://cambriabike.com/pumps/innovations_ultraflate_ih.htm

    For a compact multi- tool, I like the Crank Bros Micra-17, see link:
    http://cambriabike.com/tools/crank_brothers_micra-17_multi-Tool.htm

    It has all the hex key sizes that I seem to need, screw drivers, spoke
    wrenches, and a chain tool. It is well made and very light.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  6. Matt O'Toole said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have heard there is a method of replacing tire tubes and filling
    them quickly using a compressed air cartridge, anyone have a link to
    some and any recommendations on quality.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Don't know about replacing the tube, but if a C02 inflator is what
    you're looking for, you can browse through

    http://www.epinions.com/bike-Components-All-Pumps

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    for some suggestions. One thing to keep in mind though; Some of
    these gets *really* cold when you inflate a tire, so make sure you
    wear gloves at least the first time you use it.

    Quoted message said:

    I have a Superflate, which contains the cartridge in a plastic case,
    so the cold isn't a problem. It works great. Performance has a
    whole slew of them here:

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/subcategory.cfm?Cat_ID=18&Sub_ID=4362

    Quoted message said:

    But what if you get more flats than you have cartridges? Plus,
    every time you get a flat it costs you an extra buck.

    Hey! If you can't afford it, get outta here! Haven't you noticed,
    money is no problem, or at least we don't mention it. My bicycling is
    more important than a few measly bucks. What's yours?

    Of course there are practical reasons beyond cost that make CO2
    cartridges a bad choice. I see the little bullets along the road
    where there is puncture vine in the summer... way out there on Mines
    Rd. beyond Mt Hamilton, where there is nothing, not even a useful cell
    phone signal.

    http://mthamilton.ucolick.org/hamcam/

    Jobst Brandt
    [email hidden]

  7. (Jeff Starr) said:

    "Gunny Bunny" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I have heard there is a method of replacing tire tubes and filling them
    quickly using a compressed air cartridge, anyone have a link to some and any
    recommendations on quality.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Thank you

    Hi, on the tire inflators, any made by Innovations are ok. Be sure to
    get one that allows you to use both threaded and unthreaded
    cartridges. The cartridges are cheaper, if you buy them boxed for use
    with paint or pellet guns. Here is the type I carry in a bag, on both
    my bikes:
    http://cambriabike.com/pumps/innovations_ultraflate_ih.htm

    For a compact multi- tool, I like the Crank Bros Micra-17, see link:
    http://cambriabike.com/tools/crank_brothers_micra-17_multi-Tool.htm

    It has all the hex key sizes that I seem to need, screw drivers, spoke
    wrenches, and a chain tool. It is well made and very light.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

    One in our group had a flat at the 25 mile point today and much
    fussing was done with our small hand pumps, including mine, and then
    the tire was finally topped off with co2 which took 2 secs....I had
    never considered it before but I may go to CO2 also... Bob

  8. Quoted message said:

    Matt O'Toole writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    But what if you get more flats than you have cartridges? Plus,
    every time you get a flat it costs you an extra buck.

    Hey! If you can't afford it, get outta here! Haven't you noticed,
    money is no problem, or at least we don't mention it. My bicycling is
    more important than a few measly bucks. What's yours?

    Of course there are practical reasons beyond cost that make CO2
    cartridges a bad choice. I see the little bullets along the road
    where there is puncture vine in the summer... way out there on Mines
    Rd. beyond Mt Hamilton, where there is nothing, not even a useful cell
    phone signal.

    http://mthamilton.ucolick.org/hamcam/

    Very pretty country! I miss California, but my part has been almost completely
    paved over. Nothing left to miss...

    Littering on road and trail really bugs me. I see it more often on the road --
    CO2 cartridges and tubes, and energy bar wrappers. There's no excuse for this.
    If you carried it out there, you can carry it back.

    In the old days of mountain bike racing, a self-contained, carry-in, carry-out
    rule was the norm. Seeing racers finishing on bare rims, with tires and tubes
    slung over a shoulder, reinforced the no-litter philosophy. Sadly, this has
    given way to "dirt criterium" style racing, with support crews and a throwaway
    attitude, racers being too important to deal with such trivial nonsense as not
    littering.

    Matt O.

  9. Bob Broeking said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have heard there is a method of replacing tire tubes and filling
    them quickly using a compressed air cartridge, anyone have a link
    to some and any recommendations on quality.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi, on the tire inflators, any made by Innovations are OK. Be sure
    to get one that allows you to use both threaded and unthreaded
    cartridges. The cartridges are cheaper, if you buy them boxed for
    use with paint or pellet guns. Here is the type I carry in a bag,
    on both my bikes:

    http://cambriabike.com/pumps/innovations_ultraflate_ih.htm

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    For a compact multi- tool, I like the Crank Bros Micra-17, see
    link:

    http://cambriabike.com/tools/crank_brothers_micra-17_multi-Tool.htm

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It has all the hex key sizes that I seem to need, screw drivers,
    spoke wrenches, and a chain tool. It is well made and very light.

    I can say the same for the now extinct Ritchey CPR-9 whose main
    feature is a chain tool.

    Quoted message said:

    One in our group had a flat at the 25 mile point today and much
    fussing was done with our small hand pumps, including mine, and then
    the tire was finally topped off with CO2 which took 2 secs....I had
    never considered it before but I may go to CO2 also...

    That speaks mainly of the poor pumps that are offered these days and
    these speak for the miserable physical condition of many bicyclists
    who are neither able to stop a bicycle with 4:1 ratio brakes ala
    Campagnolo Record single pivot nor to pump a tire with a Silca Impero
    frame fit pump. That has brought us a slew of nearly useless
    mini-pumps with pistons with 1/4 the area of a Silca that 4x easier to
    pump except that they have no stroke either.

    In the past many decades of bicycling I have pumped my tires often
    with a Silca Impero pump and on occasion other's on the road for their
    lack of a usable pump other than some Cuban cigar sized device. Part
    of a day's exercise in the days of tubulars with latex tubes was the
    ritual of daily pumping from 60psi to 100psi with a Silca Impero. It
    is what moved me to design the concentric two stage pump that can fill
    a tire in ten strokes. The drawings of which have been offered to any
    machinist interested in building a fine piece of useful machinery.

    Get a frame fit pump that works, but first develop some biceps.

    Jobst Brandt
    [email hidden]

  10. Quoted message said:
    Bob Broeking said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I have heard there is a method of replacing tire tubes and filling
    > them quickly using a compressed air cartridge, anyone have a link
    > to some and any recommendations on quality.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hi, on the tire inflators, any made by Innovations are OK. Be sure
    to get one that allows you to use both threaded and unthreaded
    cartridges. The cartridges are cheaper, if you buy them boxed for
    use with paint or pellet guns. Here is the type I carry in a bag,
    on both my bikes:

    http://cambriabike.com/pumps/innovations_ultraflate_ih.htm

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    For a compact multi- tool, I like the Crank Bros Micra-17, see
    link:

    http://cambriabike.com/tools/crank_brothers_micra-17_multi-Tool.htm

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It has all the hex key sizes that I seem to need, screw drivers,
    spoke wrenches, and a chain tool. It is well made and very light.

    I can say the same for the now extinct Ritchey CPR-9 whose main
    feature is a chain tool.

    Your hands must be strong or mine weak. I have a CPR-9, but after trying to fix
    a chain with it I ditched it for a small Park chain tool. It took too much
    effort to turn the handle. The handle is too short, and so is the tool itself,
    to get any leverage. It worked, but it was a pain. I also like the Park's
    second fin for loosening tight links. Sure, you can flex the chain back and
    forth, but a chain tool with this feature is so much easier. The CPR-9 is
    minimalism gone amok.

    Newer chains have very securely peened pins, which take a lot more effort to
    drive out. If you're using an older-type chain, a tool like the Ritchey is
    probably fine.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    One in our group had a flat at the 25 mile point today and much
    fussing was done with our small hand pumps, including mine, and then
    the tire was finally topped off with CO2 which took 2 secs....I had
    never considered it before but I may go to CO2 also...

    That speaks mainly of the poor pumps that are offered these days and
    these speak for the miserable physical condition of many bicyclists
    who are neither able to stop a bicycle with 4:1 ratio brakes ala
    Campagnolo Record single pivot nor to pump a tire with a Silca Impero
    frame fit pump. That has brought us a slew of nearly useless
    mini-pumps with pistons with 1/4 the area of a Silca that 4x easier to
    pump except that they have no stroke either.

    In the past many decades of bicycling I have pumped my tires often
    with a Silca Impero pump and on occasion other's on the road for their
    lack of a usable pump other than some Cuban cigar sized device. Part
    of a day's exercise in the days of tubulars with latex tubes was the
    ritual of daily pumping from 60psi to 100psi with a Silca Impero. It
    is what moved me to design the concentric two stage pump that can fill
    a tire in ten strokes. The drawings of which have been offered to any
    machinist interested in building a fine piece of useful machinery.

    Get a frame fit pump that works, but first develop some biceps.

    Good pumps are available, but there are too many lousy ones. How some of these
    companies can take people's money for the [censored] they sell is beyond me. I
    recommend a Zefal HPX, if it fits on your bike. Don't "go CO2" if you can carry
    a good pump.

    Matt O.

  11. Matt O'Toole said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > For a compact multi- tool, I like the Crank Bros Micra-17, see
    > link:

    http://cambriabike.com/tools/crank_brothers_micra-17_multi-Tool.htm

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > It has all the hex key sizes that I seem to need, screw drivers,
    > spoke wrenches, and a chain tool. It is well made and very light.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I can say the same for the now extinct Ritchey CPR-9 whose main
    feature is a chain tool.

    Quoted message said:

    Your hands must be strong or mine weak. I have a CPR-9, but after
    trying to fix a chain with it I ditched it for a small Park chain
    tool. It took too much effort to turn the handle. The handle is
    too short, and so is the tool itself, to get any leverage. It
    worked, but it was a pain. I also like the Park's second fin for
    loosening tight links. Sure, you can flex the chain back and forth,
    but a chain tool with this feature is so much easier. The CPR-9 is
    minimalism gone amok.

    That seems to be a common experience but before taking it on the road,
    the chain tool thread should be lubricated. I gave it a dab of 90w
    gear lube and turned it all the way in and back out. It saved my day
    when I was on Gazos Creek (Big Basin State Park, closed to motor
    traffic) road and got a derailleur stick in the chain. By removing a
    section of chain, I could ride with that fixed length in 50-15 and
    46-21 gears (vertical dropouts), just fine to get home from Pescadero,
    a local coastal community. The derailleur was fatally busticated.

    Quoted message said:

    Newer chains have very securely peened pins, which take a lot more effort to
    drive out. If you're using an older-type chain, a tool like the Ritchey is
    probably fine.

    I don't ride that stuff for good reasons. Who needs 30 gears?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    One in our group had a flat at the 25 mile point today and much
    fussing was done with our small hand pumps, including mine, and
    then the tire was finally topped off with CO2 which took 2
    secs....I had never considered it before but I may go to CO2
    also...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That speaks mainly of the poor pumps that are offered these days
    and these speak for the miserable physical condition of many
    bicyclists who are neither able to stop a bicycle with 4:1 ratio
    brakes ala Campagnolo Record single pivot nor to pump a tire with a
    Silca Impero frame fit pump. That has brought us a slew of nearly
    useless mini-pumps with pistons with 1/4 the area of a Silca that
    are 4x easier to pump except that they have no stroke either.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    In the past many decades of bicycling I have pumped my tires often
    with a Silca Impero pump and on occasion other's on the road for
    their lack of a usable pump other than some Cuban cigar sized
    device. Part of a day's exercise in the days of tubulars with
    latex tubes was the ritual of daily pumping from 60psi to 100psi
    with a Silca Impero. That is what moved me to design the
    concentric two stage pump that can fill a tire in ten strokes. The
    drawings of this pump have been offered to any machinist interested
    in building a fine piece of useful machinery.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Get a frame fit pump that works, but first develop some biceps.

    Quoted message said:

    Good pumps are available, but there are too many lousy ones. How
    some of these companies can take people's money for the [censored] they
    sell is beyond me. I recommend a Zefal HPX, if it fits on your
    bike. Don't "go CO2" if you can carry a good pump.

    They can sell these pumps because people don't use them, so they never
    know what junk they are carrying. They rely on their cell phones or
    someone else to come along and pump. I have pumped enough of them.

    Jobst Brandt
    [email hidden]

  12. Quoted message said:

    That seems to be a common experience but before taking it on the road,
    the chain tool thread should be lubricated. I gave it a dab of 90w
    gear lube and turned it all the way in and back out.

    I oiled mine too, but it didn't help enough. It works OK with a PC-48 chain,
    but the latest generation are really peened good.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Newer chains have very securely peened pins, which take a lot more
    effort to drive out. If you're using an older-type chain, a tool
    like the Ritchey is probably fine.

    I don't ride that stuff for good reasons. Who needs 30 gears?

    Me?

    However, I appreciate your desire for simplicity, reliability, and
    field-repairability.

    Matt O.

  13. Bob said:

    One in our group had a flat at the 25 mile point today and much
    fussing was done with our small hand pumps, including mine, and then
    the tire was finally topped off with co2 which took 2 secs....I had
    never considered it before but I may go to CO2 also... Bob

    Or you could get an HPX - no need for "much fussing" with one.
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> Distortion Field!

  14. Quoted message said:
    Matt O'Toole said:

    But what if you get more flats than you have cartridges? Plus,

    A CO2 inflator _and_ a pump are complementary items. A combo like
    the Innovations Slim Jim IH or their Second Wind is reasonable if
    you intend to rely solely on CO2 with a pump only for emergencies.
    Otherwise, a quality frame-fit pump can accompany any good CO2
    inflator.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    every time you get a flat it costs you an extra buck.

    Yikes! You're spending $1 per cartridge? That's a lot! Even if you
    only want to buy a few at a time, that's too much. A quick froogle
    search reveals a 15-pack of 12 gram cartridges for $9, or a 25-pack
    for $16.

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:02:03 GMT, [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    Hey! If you can't afford it, get outta here! Haven't you noticed,
    money is no problem, or at least we don't mention it. My bicycling is
    more important than a few measly bucks. What's yours?

    For those willing to blow a half a dollar for each flat tire, it's
    nice to spend less time pumping and more time riding.

    Quoted message said:

    Of course there are practical reasons beyond cost that make CO2
    cartridges a bad choice. I see the little bullets along the road
    where there is puncture vine in the summer... way out there on Mines

    Assuming you're talking about CO2 cartridge litter, how's that any
    different from leaving a dead tube or a power bar wrapper? Only
    jerks litter; the rest of us pack the garbage where it belongs.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  15. Jobst said:
    Quoted message said:

    I can say the same for the now extinct Ritchey CPR-9 whose main
    feature is a chain tool.


    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 14:21:26 GMT, "Matt O'Toole" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Your hands must be strong or mine weak. I have a CPR-9, but after trying to fix
    a chain with it I ditched it for a small Park chain tool. It took too much
    effort to turn the handle.

    I have a couple inexpensive mini-tools that include a chain tool,
    and the chain tool is operated [quite easily] by an allen wrench.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  16. "Gunny Bunny" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I have heard there is a method of replacing tire tubes and filling them
    quickly using a compressed air cartridge, anyone have a link to some and any
    recommendations on quality.

    if you're not careful about replacing the tube & tire, the rapid
    inflation can cause bead seating problems. the slower inflation rate
    of a hand pump can be an advantage.
    i'd bring an Superflate on long rides but always rode w/ a HPX. i
    didn't want to screw around w/ a flat at the end of long ride.
    also, i think the tube leaks CO faster then air. after using a CO,
    i have to top off the tire the next day. is this scientifically true?
    false?

    Quoted message said:

    In addition, I currently have the standard folding Allan Key set in my
    saddle post bag, it looks like there might be some better quality one's
    available with more features....recommendations 🙂

    the only mini-tool i found to be worthy of carrying is the
    "Cool-Tool". most have stuff you can't use because it won't fit in
    the nooks & crannies.
    the only folding Allen key type i'll bring is Cannondale's.
    i'm careful about what i install, sometimes changing the nuts &
    bolts that came w/ it so i could deal w/ it on the road.

  17. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I can say the same for the now extinct Ritchey CPR-9 whose main
    feature is a chain tool.

    Your hands must be strong or mine weak. I have a CPR-9, but after trying
    to fix
    a chain with it I ditched it for a small Park chain tool. It took too much
    effort to turn the handle. The handle is too short, and so is the tool
    itself,
    to get any leverage. It worked, but it was a pain. I also like the Park's
    second fin for loosening tight links. Sure, you can flex the chain back and
    forth, but a chain tool with this feature is so much easier. The CPR-9 is
    minimalism gone amok.

    while i agree the CPR-9 is [censored]:
    <http://www.gripmaster.com.au/index1.htm>

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.