Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Computer controlled gears & suspension

Started by darryl · · Last activity · 25 posts · 1,484 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
20 April 2006
Last activity
22 April 2006
Original author
darryl
Posts
25
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,484
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–25 of 25
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've sometimes wondered if anyone will ever invent a system that
    I'd best describe as a kind of hybrid between fixed wheel, free
    wheel and a rear hub brake. Someting like, when driving a motor
    vehicle down a steep winding road, you drop down into a lower gear
    and use the braking effect of the engine, this concept would let you
    feed reverse power back through the transmission. You could
    freewheel if you wanted to, but there would be a way of pedalling
    backwards and having that effort translated into slowing you down.
    Thereby reducing the effort needed by your hands on the brakes.

    There's probably a good reason why it wouldn't work. I get these
    ideas, but I'm [censored] at the practical mechanics.

    --
    beerwolf (remove numbers from email address)

  2. beerwolf said:

    I've sometimes wondered if anyone will ever invent a system that
    I'd best describe as a kind of hybrid between fixed wheel, free
    wheel and a rear hub brake. Someting like, when driving a motor
    vehicle down a steep winding road, you drop down into a lower gear
    and use the braking effect of the engine, this concept would let you
    feed reverse power back through the transmission. You could
    freewheel if you wanted to, but there would be a way of pedalling
    backwards and having that effort translated into slowing you down.
    Thereby reducing the effort needed by your hands on the brakes.

    There's probably a good reason why it wouldn't work. I get these
    ideas, but I'm [censored] at the practical mechanics.

    --
    beerwolf (remove numbers from email address)


    I remember reading something a while back, could have been a post from here, about some old bikes where you could pedal backwards for a lower gear, I am also useless at mechanics, but that could be heading in the right direction.

  3. beerwolf said:

    I've sometimes wondered if anyone will ever invent a system that
    I'd best describe as a kind of hybrid between fixed wheel, free
    wheel and a rear hub brake. Someting like, when driving a motor
    vehicle down a steep winding road, you drop down into a lower gear
    and use the braking effect of the engine, this concept would let you
    feed reverse power back through the transmission. You could
    freewheel if you wanted to, but there would be a way of pedalling
    backwards and having that effort translated into slowing you down.
    Thereby reducing the effort needed by your hands on the brakes.

    There's probably a good reason why it wouldn't work. I get these
    ideas, but I'm [censored] at the practical mechanics.

    --
    beerwolf (remove numbers from email address)

    I think you are referring to a coaster hub brake (remember BMX days?)

    I've got a better idea - how about pulling on a simple lever connected to a cable and cantilever or caliper brake?

    Ritch

  4. Wilfred Kazoks said:

    How many of them were created for marketing purposes and how many
    actually significantly clean your teeth better?

    All of them. Apples are better {:-).

    Quoted message said:

    But how much of an improvement is life beyond 7 speeds?

    All you really need is three gears for flat, uphill and downhill. The
    rest are unneeded {:-).

  5. On 2006-04-21, Wilfred Kazoks (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    I've been dwelling a bit on just how much "better" are the sloping top tube
    frames compared to the what I regard as the traditional horizontal top tube
    frames? How much is driven by a derivative sort of fashion in bicycle design
    started by the BMX craze. Which completely passed me by.

    Sloping top tubes are better, in that the frame is stiffer because of
    the smaller triangle, according to the frame builder who spoke on
    Thursday...

    --
    TimC
    "Consider a spherical bear, in simple harmonic motion..."
    -- Professor in the UCB physics department

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.