confused about lbs advice

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jon Marshall, Jun 9, 2003.

  1. Jon Marshall

    Jon Marshall Guest

    hi all

    i have recently returned to cycling and have been suffering from lower back ache after each ride. i
    went to my lbs and they said i looked too upright and needed a longer stem to stretch me out a bit
    more. This seemed to be contrary to most of the advice in this newsgroup so i got a second opinion
    from another lbs who said that i looked fine in my setup and i probably just needed to experiment
    with my saddle height etc. which i have already been doing. They also said that a longer stem would
    just make the problem worse.

    i've inclued a link to a photo of me on the bike, not the best but it gives a rough idea.

    http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/green/xkn14/bike1.jpg

    I would appreciate any suggestions on my setup and if there is anything obviously "wrong" with it. I
    actually feel quite comfortable on the bike apart from the back ache i get.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "Jon Marshall" wrote
    > hi all
    >
    > i have recently returned to cycling and have been suffering from lower
    back
    > ache after each ride. i went to my lbs and they said i looked too upright and needed a longer stem
    > to stretch me out a bit more. This seemed to be contrary to most of the advice in this newsgroup
    > so i got a second opinion from another lbs who said that i looked fine in my setup and i probably
    just
    > needed to experiment with my saddle height etc. which i have already been doing. They also said
    > that a longer stem would just make the problem
    worse.

    > I would appreciate any suggestions on my setup and if there is anything obviously "wrong" with it.
    > I actually feel quite comfortable on the bike apart from the back ache i get.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.

    Did you injure or strain your back during your hiatus from cycling? I've found that after a long
    winter of not being on my road bike, and generally not getting enough miles in, the first few long
    rides on the road bike leave my lower back a bit sore. If you feel quite comfortable on the bike
    there's a chance that your back muscles just have to get reaccustomed to cycling.
    --
    mark

  3. To look at the picture you are not too stretched. Your "down" leg looks a bit straight to me. In my
    experience the biggest cause by far of backache is a saddle too high.

    Measure this.

    Sit Barefoot on the saddle, pelvis not tilted, pedal fully down, bare foot parallel to ground. How
    far from the pedal is your bare heel (remember, not tilted pelvis (chair supporting other foot) and
    foot parallel to ground).

    If it is more than 5mm, lower it. Ideally it should be about 5mm.

    As for stretch.

    Put your elbow against nose of saddle and see where your fingertips are in relation to bars. Should
    be from touching to about an inch on MTB in my experience.

  4. No Spam

    No Spam Guest

    Hello, Contrary to other answers I looked at the picture and in my opinion your saddle is too low! I
    suffer with a spinal illness and if the saddle is too low-serious pain. Try it. Kind regards, John.

    -- NOTE:YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEND A REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE John, Pauline & Hannah. Thornbury,
    South Gloucestershire. UK. http://www.pbase.com/john28july

  5. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Jon Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hi all
    >
    > i have recently returned to cycling and have been suffering from lower
    back
    > ache after each ride.

    I'd say it all looks fine, if you are comfortable then it's right for you. I too suffer from
    lower back pain, although this is a general problem from having to sit in a chair all day in
    front of a computer.

    Try adding a few lower back strengthening exercises to your routine. They won't take more than 5
    minutes a day and will make a huge difference (according to my Dad, I hate doing exercises that
    include gettng on the floor. *Me looks at floor and wonders whether I should vacuum first*)

    I get off my bike after a few miles and do some stretches.

  6. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Jon Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hi all

    snip

    > i've inclued a link to a photo of me on the bike, not the best but it
    gives
    > a rough idea.
    >
    > http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/green/xkn14/bike1.jpg
    >
    > I would appreciate any suggestions on my setup and if there is anything obviously "wrong" with it.
    > I actually feel quite comfortable on the bike apart from the back ache i get.

    The saddle looks low to me and the frame looks a bit small.

    That said, you say its comfy -- which is a good start.

    How long have you been back on the bike? How long can you ride before the back pain starts? Are
    there any pre-existing conditions? Do you just need to build up your strength?

  7. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Tony W wrote:
    > The saddle looks low to me and the frame looks a bit small.

    Newbie ... but that frame looks way too small. Glad someone else thought so too.

  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    :
    : "Jon Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : news:[email protected]...
    : > hi all
    : >
    : snip
    :
    : >
    : > i've inclued a link to a photo of me on the bike, not the best but it
    : gives
    : > a rough idea.
    : >
    : > http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/green/xkn14/bike1.jpg
    : >
    : > I would appreciate any suggestions on my setup and if there is anything obviously "wrong" with
    : > it. I actually feel quite comfortable on the
    bike
    : > apart from the back ache i get.
    :
    Wonder if this may help http://www.onyour-bike.co.uk/Stretching/stretching_to_keep_fit.htm Chris

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Jon Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/green/xkn14/bike1.jpg

    What the others said - looks a bit small and the saddle looks low. I would go to
    <http://www.wrenchscience.com> and check out their bike fitting system.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  10. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Jon Marshall wrote:
    > http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/green/xkn14/bike1.jpg
    >
    > I would appreciate any suggestions on my setup and if there is anything obviously "wrong" with it.

    I'm not saying it is absolutely wrong, but the first thing that struck me about the picture was you
    seem to be sitting on the front of the saddle. This may be encouraging your sit bones to rotate
    around the saddle a small amount as you pedal. Have someone follow you while you ride, and look at
    whether your upper hips are moving as you pedal. Try moving the saddle forward an inch or so, to
    see if that makes any difference. Theoretically, if nothing else, it will change the balance of
    muscles used when pedalling away from your back muscles, but in practice may or may not make any
    difference at all.

    One thing I picked up as a very useful comfort tip on a bike is to do the following test: (this
    works best if the bike is mounted in a trainer, but can be done leaning against a wall) From your
    normal cycling postion, with the cranks horizontal, try raising yourself such that you
    simultaneously release pressure (not necessarily contact) with the saddle and the handlebars. If
    this is balanced, I tend to find the bike position to be comfortable. If not, I move the saddle (and
    bars if possible) horizontally to make it balanced. It started as a cure for slipping forward or
    backwards on the saddle (to which the schoolboy solution is to angle the saddle - not such a good
    idea). Now I use it as a sanity check to avoid a number of comfort problems on bikes which I may not
    be familiar with but need to ride for more than half an hour or so. It seems to be independent of
    saddle and handlebar height. I would like to be able to attribute this to the web site I picked it
    up from, but that escapes me at the moment.

    Oh, and try everyone elses tips too.

    Jim Price

  11. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

  12. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

  13. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

  14. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    : Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
    : : Wonder if this may help http://www.onyour-bike.co.uk/Stretching/stretching_to_keep_fit.htm
    :
    : Dead link. Looks like whoever owns the domain hasn't kept paying.
    :
    : Arthur
    :
    : --
    : Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org Power is delightful. Absolute power is absolutely delightful -
    : Lord Lester

    Blast! Sorry you are right its vansished yet it worked this Morning! Shame, it was an excellent site
    and I intended to download all the lovely exercise / strtech pictures but havent done it yet. I will
    keep an eye open to see if it re-appears as it was very comprehensive and good quality! Chris

  15. Alex Veitch

    Alex Veitch Guest

    Archive of the site is here, but on my computer at least its showing without images: http://web.arc-
    hive.org/web/20020202140708/http://www.onyour-bike.co.uk/Stretching/stretching_to_keep_fit.htm

    --
    Alex Veitch

  16. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Jon Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I would appreciate any suggestions on my setup and if there is anything obviously "wrong" with it.
    > I actually feel quite comfortable on the bike apart from the back ache i get.

    The saddle looks too low to me, don't know if that's giving you a backache but it may give you knee
    ache on longer rides. You look very upright as if the frame is too small but that's based on my
    perspective and if you feel comfortable it probably doesn't matter at this point. If the saddle is
    squishy, ie feels soft and makes you think it should be comfy, then your a*rse will squirm around as
    you sit into it rather than on it, this may make your back deform like when slouching in a soggy
    armchair but this doesn't appear to be so on the photo.

    Pete

  17. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:53:45 +0100, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Oh, and try everyone elses tips too.

    In that case: lower the seat by about two foot, replace it with a comfy deck chair, shrink the
    wheels a bit, move the pedals forward of the front wheel and off you go :-D

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  18. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:53:45 +0100, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Oh, and try everyone elses tips too.
    >

    > In that case: lower the seat by about two foot, replace it with a comfy deck chair, shrink the
    > wheels a bit, move the pedals forward of the front wheel and off you go :-D

    But that would be Darthed!

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

  19. Jon Marshall

    Jon Marshall Guest

    yeah funny that - the bike is a 19" hardrock. I'm 6'0 dead with about a 34" inside leg and
    originally thought i might need a 21". The lbs i bought it from had both a 19 and 21" in stock but
    they advised very strongly against buying the 21" and to be honest as the 19" felt okay i went with
    that. I did say i would be doing as much road as off-road. looking at the photo i was also struck at
    how small the frame looked. I idid a quick look thru this newsgroup before buying and it seemed that
    people with the same dimensions as me went with an 18/19 " .

    Oh well - i'll keep persevering -

    thanks for all the replies

    Jon

    Tenex <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tony W wrote:
    > > The saddle looks low to me and the frame looks a bit small.
    >
    > Newbie ... but that frame looks way too small. Glad someone else thought
    so
    > too.

  20. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Jon Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > yeah funny that - the bike is a 19" hardrock. I'm 6'0 dead with about a
    34"
    > inside leg and originally thought i might need a 21". The lbs i bought it

    Every time you write lbs, I keep thinking pounds ;) I'm heavy enough already .. Maybe LBS is better?

    Cheers,

    Nick