Performance has these on sale for $9.96 for Team P members. I'm looking for a 700x25 tire for commuting and training (not a racer just putting in miles). They're wire bead but I'm not a lightweight so the extra grams are no biggie. Are these a good tire?
"Gooserider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Performance has these on sale for $9.96 for Team P members. I'm looking
for
Quoted message said:
a 700x25 tire for commuting and training (not a racer just putting in miles). They're wire bead but I'm not a lightweight so the extra grams are no biggie. Are these a good tire?
If you can get these for $10 get a half dozen. They are great tires.
"Gooserider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:
Performance has these on sale for $9.96 for Team P members. I'm looking for a 700x25 tire for commuting and training (not a racer just putting in miles). They're wire bead but I'm not a lightweight so the extra grams are no biggie. Are these a good tire?
My experience with Continental tires has been so bad that I would not use them again if they were being given away. YMMV
My experience with Continental tires has been so bad that I would not use them again if they were being given away. YMMV.
My experience with TT2Ks has been very positive, no failures in thousands of miles of use.
I have no knowledge of Ultra 3000s.
--
_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------ __________306.350.357.38-
"[censored] Durbin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
"Gooserider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Performance has these on sale for $9.96 for Team P members. I'm looking
for
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
a 700x25 tire for commuting and training (not a racer just putting in miles). They're wire bead but I'm not a lightweight so the extra grams
are
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
no biggie. Are these a good tire?
My experience with Continental tires has been so bad that I would not use them again if they were being given away. YMMV
Continental GP's, the original version, were racing tires and the sidewalls weren't protected with any coating. They would easily get slashes and fail on dirty city streets. The Ultra was always a great tire though it didn't have as long a wear life as the GP if you didn't get a sidewall failure.
The latest GP's and Ultra's are more alike now and both have sidewall protections.
My experience with Continental tires has been so bad that I would not use them again if they were being given away. YMMV.
My experience with TT2Ks has been very positive, no failures in thousands of miles of use.
I have no knowledge of Ultra 3000s.
I don't know about the Ultra 3000s either, but I concur that the TTs are a great tire. Used them exclusively for years on my commuter/tourer.
I have also run Super Sports (??) and wasn't very impressed. They seemed to produce a lot of flats and looking at them closely one day, I noted a lot of small sand grain-like irregularities in the interior tire wall and thought perhaps they contributed to the flatting.
I've since heard that Continental can be somewhat irregular in the quality of their tires, with "bad batches" sometimes being produced. Seems unlikely for a tire-maker with such long time experience, but who knows. I buy only Conti TTs for my tourer, and its the only Conti tire I buy. I've been experimenting with other brands on my other bikes. No real quality conclusions yet.
In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...
...
Quoted message said:
I used to use the GP's 8 years ago and side wall cuts were my biggest problem. I tried the 3000's and they didn't wear as well as I'd like. Now I buy the Sport 1000's (for commuting and reqular club rides) and I find them to be inexpensive and they where well. Now I just need to figure out how to keep them from dry rotting (my bike tends to be in my car when I'm not riding on it). :-)
That's what I use too.
--- Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!
Originally posted by Gooserider Performance has these on sale for $9.96 for Team P members. I'm looking for a 700x25 tire for commuting and training (not a racer just putting in miles). They're wire bead but I'm not a lightweight so the extra grams are no biggie. Are these a good tire?
Mike
I saw the same, and pan on getting a few sets. I currently use the Ultra 3000 on my road bike in a 700x23c, and have many miles on them with no problems at all.
David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in message [email hidden]
Quoted message said:
In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...
[...]
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
like. Now I buy the Sport 1000's (for commuting and reqular club rides) and I find them to be inexpensive and they where well. Now I just need to figure out how to keep them from dry rotting (my bike tends to be in my car when I'm not riding on it). :-)
That's what I use too.
My understanding is that Conti are phasing the Sport 1000s out. Their replacement is the Ultra Gatorskin.
--
A: Top-posters. B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?
Now I buy the Sport 1000's (for commuting and reqular club rides) and I find them to be inexpensive and they where well. Now I just need to figure out how to keep them from dry rotting (my bike tends to be in my car when I'm not riding on it). :-)
In article <Ij%bc.74397$K91.161442@attbi_s02>, [email hidden] says...
Quoted message said:
"David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Now I buy the Sport 1000's (for commuting and reqular club rides) and I find them to be inexpensive and they where well. Now I just need to figure out how to keep them from dry rotting (my bike tends to be in my car when I'm not riding on it). :-)
That's what I use too.
They seem awfully heavy.
Since I'm 180+ and the bike is around 35 in its current winter configuration (around 26 - 27 when stripped down to race config), it doesn't matter.
-- Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!
"Neil Cherry" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
David Kerber said:
In article <Ij%bc.74397$K91.161442@attbi_s02>, [email hidden] says...
Quoted message said:
"David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote
> > Now I buy the Sport 1000's (for commuting and > > reqular club rides) and I find them to be > > inexpensive and they where well. Now I just need to > > figure out how to keep them from dry rotting (my > > bike tends to be in my car when I'm not riding on > > it). :-) > > That's what I use too.
They seem awfully heavy.
Since I'm 180+ and the bike is around 35 in its current winter configuration (around 26 - 27 when stripped down to race config), it doesn't matter.
One very tall friend (ie more weight also) loves the IRC Blizzard tires but I can never seem to find them.
I'm much taller & heavier (6'10"/235), for winter (Boston) studs I like Nokians (700c x 35). For other times, I like the IRC & Panaracer tires (like RoadWinner, Pasela), inexpensive, well made. light & durable.
I am kind of a weight conscious rider myself (bike weighs in at 18 lbs), but am not too worried about a few grams on the tires. Rolling inertia is less of a concern to me compared to a poorly made, light tire that blows out after a hundred miles.
I am kind of a weight conscious rider myself (bike weighs in at 18 lbs), but am not too worried about a few grams on the tires. Rolling inertia is less of a concern to me compared to a poorly made, light tire that blows out after a hundred miles.
I agree, but the Continental Sport 1000 is 350 g in the 28 mm size, something like the Panaracer Pasela is 280 g in the same size. I think of the Paselas as kind of on the heavy duty side, even for a utility tire, the Conti seems like a real clunker (I tried one once, but it only lasted a short time before getting a tread cut). Panaracers/IRCs are cheaper, and just as well (better?) made. I like Avocets (also made by Panaracer?), but they (when you can find them) are now 2-3x the cost.
Performance has these on sale for $9.96 for Team P members. I'm looking for a 700x25 tire for commuting and training (not a racer just putting in miles). They're wire bead but I'm not a lightweight so the extra grams are no biggie. Are these a good tire?
Mike
Mike, I bought a pair of these and liked the road feel enough to order 4 more. One note though on the sizing, mounted on Open Pro rims with 105 psi, they only measure 23.4 mm. These are the only high thread count casing tires I have ridden in a long time. They do seem to soak up more of the bad pavement buzz than the usual cheap 60-70 tpi $10 tires I usually buy. A great deal if you do not require the full 25mm width.