Converting road frame to a TT machine

BlueJersey

Jan 5, 2005
Would I be slower with a road frame converted to a dedicated TT machine versus an actual TT frame?

I am building a TT rig on the cheap. I will be using my retired Orbea Lobular 50 frame. The frame is small enough for me to use a shorter stem and a Visiontech aerobar with a longer reach. Wheel cover on my PT SL wheel (Open rim). 60mm Hed stinger from wheel. Cane Creek TT brakes, 42cm basebar, and bar end shifters. Zero setback seatpost and Fzik Aeron saddle.

BlueJersey said:
Would I be slower with a road frame converted to a dedicated TT machine versus an actual TT frame?

I am building a TT rig on the cheap. I will be using my retired Orbea Lobular 50 frame. The frame is small enough for me to use a shorter stem and a Visiontech aerobar with a longer reach. Wheel cover on my PT SL wheel (Open rim). 60mm Hed stinger from wheel. Cane Creek TT brakes, 42cm basebar, and bar end shifters. Zero setback seatpost and Fzik Aeron saddle.

My 2 cents.

I used an Orbea Onix for triathlon and it worked plenty fine as a TT machine. I would say that the time saved with a "proper" TT frame would be minimal unless you are at the higher end of the performance bracket.

If you are mainly on the flat then weight isn't a real issue and I would imagine the Lobular frame is plenty stiff.

Remember the most important thing to improving aerodynamics on the bike is YOU. If you can, get a professional fitting. Very important to be aero and comfortable. No point being aero if you have shooting back pain after 5 minutes.

Follow this up with some nice wheels and a decent helment and you're off!

Like the previous poster noted, you make up a huge amount of the drag on a bike. The smaller frame should allow you to get in the proper position. I tried doing this and it didn't work for me because the head tube was too tall and i had to get lower to help get my back flat, so i needed a new frame and decided to go with a TT frame. So you should be alright, and would doubt that you would be much slower than if you were on a dedicated TT frame with all the bells and whistles.