General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Cooking for Large Group

Started by bworthey · · Last activity · 50 posts · 337 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
27 June 2007
Last activity
1 July 2007
Original author
bworthey
Posts
50
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
337
Views / 30 days
10

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–50 of 50
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Blair P. Houghton said:

    Victor Sack <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Marzano ones are universally regarded as superior, but I find that the
    local widely marketed Sonnen-Bassermann brand is nearly as good at a
    third of the price. When the weather is hot, I like to eat refrigerated
    canned tomatoes right out of the can - such juicy, cool goodness...
    Can't really do that with fresh tomatoes.

    Marzano? You mean "plum" tomatoes? Sheesh. I hate it when home
    growers throw around variety names as if everyone has a choice.

    Quoted message said:


    Sure you can. I often end up eating half of any tomato
    I'm slicing.


    Not many people know they can eat a tomato like they would eat an
    apple. What a joyous experience when they are fresh and sweet!

    --
    See return address to reply by email

  2. sf said:
    Blair P. Houghton said:

    Victor Sack <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Marzano ones are universally regarded as superior, but I find that the
    local widely marketed Sonnen-Bassermann brand is nearly as good at a
    third of the price. When the weather is hot, I like to eat refrigerated
    canned tomatoes right out of the can - such juicy, cool goodness...
    Can't really do that with fresh tomatoes.

    Marzano? You mean "plum" tomatoes? Sheesh. I hate it when home
    growers throw around variety names as if everyone has a choice.

    They are a specific tomato and it says so on the tin.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Sure you can. I often end up eating half of any tomato
    I'm slicing.


    Not many people know they can eat a tomato like they would eat an
    apple. What a joyous experience when they are fresh and sweet!

    I can't imagine that someone wouldn't know it, but then I hear there are
    people who don't know milk is from cows.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  3. sf said:
    Giusi said:

    sf wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Marzano? You mean "plum" tomatoes? Sheesh. I hate it when home
    growers throw around variety names as if everyone has a choice.


    They are a specific tomato and it says so on the tin.


    My "tins" of tomatoes don't specify variety.

    Then you don't actually know if they are better or not. I haven't found
    the difference notable, but have bought the ones actually grown on the
    slopes of a volcano and ripened without water and they're good. Not so
    different that I would spend a bunch of money to make sure I used
    nothing else.

    I try to find decent ones with no skins and blemishes in the tin and use
    them if I need preserved tomatoes. Otherwise I freeze quite a lot of
    them in season in one form or the other and they taste just like fresh
    in the dishes for which they work. Obviously salad is not one of them.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  4. sf said:
    Blair P. Houghton said:

    Victor Sack <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Marzano ones are universally regarded as superior, but I find that the
    local widely marketed Sonnen-Bassermann brand is nearly as good at a
    third of the price. When the weather is hot, I like to eat refrigerated
    canned tomatoes right out of the can - such juicy, cool goodness...
    Can't really do that with fresh tomatoes.

    Marzano? You mean "plum" tomatoes? Sheesh. I hate it when home
    growers throw around variety names as if everyone has a choice.

    My understanding is that Marzano, just like Vidalia onions, are only
    grown in a certain area and something about the soil and growing
    conditions imparts a desired quality not universally found in other
    tomatoes. They are said to be amazing but I've never purchased them so
    have to take the word of the experts?

  5. bworthey said:

    "Whirled Peas" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:bnwgi.27205

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Here is a link http://tinyurl.com/27fql3 to a basic, well-tried recipe for
    100 servings of lasagna. You might get some idea of proportions from this.
    This comes from the Armed Forces Recipe Service.

    What size pan are they doing that in though? I have some at my church that
    appear to be around a 18x12, they are not quite 2 9X13 pans, so it might be
    an 11X17, not sure. Any idea?

    B-Worthey


    Interesting question. The recipe says that, after baking, the lasagna is
    cut into 20 pieces (4 x 5). No further serving instructions. My *guess*
    is that the lasagna is then taken to a standard steam table and served
    directly from the baking pan. A full-size steam table pan is 12" x 20",
    2 1/2" (or 4" or 6"😉 deep. This would make each individual serving to be
    3" x 4" generous portions. 20 servings from a 1/2 size pan would make
    each 3" x 2", which seems small to me.

    I used to make lasagna for my large family always in a 1/2 size (12" x
    10"😉 steam table pan. I would get at least 12, maybe 15 satisfying
    portions out of it. Of course, small children don't have large appetites
    like young, highly active adults.

  6. sf said:

    Marzano?

    San Marzano. Learn to quote. And try to learn - I know it will be hard
    for you - not to display your woeful ignorance so ostentatiously. The
    famous San Marzano tomatoes have been mentioned on this newsgroup alone
    about 100,000 times.

    Quoted message said:

    You mean "plum" tomatoes? Sheesh.

    No I do not mean just any plum tomatoes. I mean San Marzano ones, from
    the Agro-Nocerino-Sarnese region in Campania.

    Quoted message said:

    I hate it when home
    growers throw around variety names as if everyone has a choice.

    You have to learn to read for comprehension - this also will be hard for
    you, I know. I explicitly mentioned the San Marzano tomatoes as canned.
    Commercially. They are fairly ubiquitous in good groceries around the
    world. They are always explicitly labelled San Marzano, with the DOP
    (Denominazione di Origine Protetta - Protected Designation of Origin)
    label and generally cost a lot more than most any other tomatoes.

    Victor

  7. Blair P. Houghton said:
    Quoted message said:

    When the weather is hot, I like to eat refrigerated
    canned tomatoes right out of the can - such juicy, cool goodness...
    Can't really do that with fresh tomatoes.

    Sure you can. I often end up eating half of any tomato
    I'm slicing.

    So do I, but it is not the same thing. Fresh tomatoes are rarely
    refrigerated and no matter the variety they are never remotely as juicy
    as canned ones. Each kind provides its own pleasure.

    Victor

  8. Goomba38 said:

    My understanding is that Marzano, just like Vidalia onions, are only
    grown in a certain area and something about the soil and growing
    conditions imparts a desired quality not universally found in other
    tomatoes. They are said to be amazing but I've never purchased them so
    have to take the word of the experts?

    San Marzanos come canned in this country. They're good,
    but not amazing. A good batch of cans from any domestic
    tomato patch can take 'em. After you add oil, garlic,
    parsley, oregano, marjoram, basil, bay, onions, mushrooms
    salt, vodka, sicilian salsiccia, pasta, and a fork, it's
    a question of the tomatoes just not being bitter.

    --Blair

  9. In article said:
    Quoted message said:

    Victor Sack <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Marzano ones are universally regarded as superior, but I find that the
    local widely marketed Sonnen-Bassermann brand is nearly as good at a
    third of the price. When the weather is hot, I like to eat refrigerated
    canned tomatoes right out of the can - such juicy, cool goodness...
    Can't really do that with fresh tomatoes.

    Marzano? You mean "plum" tomatoes? Sheesh. I hate it when home
    growers throw around variety names as if everyone has a choice.

    And I hate it when people make assumptions about things they don't know
    about. Perhaps they aren't called plum tomatoes throughout the whole
    world. Perhaps they aren't even called tomatoes.

    http://www.sanmarzanoimports.com/prod01.htm

    Quoted message said:

    Not many people know they can eat a tomato like they would eat an
    apple. What a joyous experience when they are fresh and sweet!

    See my other post.

  10. Victor Sack said:

    I explicitly mentioned the San Marzano tomatoes as canned.
    Commercially. They are fairly ubiquitous in good groceries around the
    world. They are always explicitly labelled San Marzano, with the DOP
    (Denominazione di Origine Protetta - Protected Designation of Origin)
    label and generally cost a lot more than most any other tomatoes.

    Regular tomatoes are about $1.50/28-oz can, San Marzanos
    run 3 to 5 dollars. And, as I've said, they're tasty,
    but only about as tasty as a good can of the regular ones,
    even store-brand.

    Worth trying on a splurge, not really worth going out of
    the way for.

    --Blair

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.