Coronation road Bristol psycle farcility (video).

Martin Dann wrote:
> Video footage of me riding along coronation road.
> Please not this is not my usual standard of riding.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3HYf4_GwM

I'd suggest you should have carried on onto the chocolate path at the
end and got footage of that, but no doubt you'd have shaken the camera
to bits.

That video should be compulsory viewing for MP's.

"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

> in message <[email protected]>, Martin Dann
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > Video footage of me riding along coronation road.
> > Please not this is not my usual standard of riding.
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3HYf4_GwM

> Bleagh! Are they (even remotely) serious?

i *think* thats been there a good few years? i used to have a friend who
lived off that, road.

it certinaly is a corker...

> I think it's about time Warrington Cycle Campaign started a 'video of the
> month' section.

roger

Roger Merriman said the following on 30/05/2007 12:39:

> i *think* thats been there a good few years? i used to have a friend who
> lived off that, road.

It has been there for quite some time, and is fairly notorious. I used
to commute along that road, and I have *never* seen a cyclist use it,
oddly enough! (That video was the first, and even that was just to show
how bad it is)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3HYf4_GwM

Is it worth reporting that stretch of road on
<http://www.clearthattrail.org.uk/> ? It is, after all, a public right
of way and the local council is failing in its duty to keep it clear.

Cheers,
Luke

--
Lincoln City 0-2 Southend United (AET)
Swansea City 2-2 Southend United

Ekul Namsob wrote:
> Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3HYf4_GwM

> Is it worth reporting that stretch of road on
> <http://www.clearthattrail.org.uk/> ? It is, after all, a public right
> of way and the local council is failing in its duty to keep it clear.

I don't think that is a good idea, they would probably chop the trees down.

Danny Colyer wrote:
> Martin Dann wrote:
>> Video footage of me riding along coronation road.
>> Please not this is not my usual standard of riding.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3HYf4_GwM

> I'd suggest you should have carried on onto the chocolate path at the
> end and got footage of that, but no doubt you'd have shaken the camera
> to bits.

To be honest I gave up, it is hard work cycleing like that with shopping
on your back.

Paul Boyd <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote:

> Roger Merriman said the following on 30/05/2007 12:39:
>
> > i *think* thats been there a good few years? i used to have a friend who
> > lived off that, road.

> It has been there for quite some time, and is fairly notorious. I used
> to commute along that road, and I have *never* seen a cyclist use it,
> oddly enough! (That video was the first, and even that was just to show
> how bad it is)

got a feeling i might have tryed to walk it manny years ago, not that
sober...

roger

Marc Brett <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 May 2007 21:30:18 GMT, Martin Dann <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Video footage of me riding along coronation road.
> >Please not this is not my usual standard of riding.
> >
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3HYf4_GwM

> Gak!
>
> Contrast with this utopian vision of cycle-friendly cities:
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=5rwwxrWHBB8

certinaly big one way systems like kingstons upon thames is hardly
friendly to walk though or bike. not terribly good by car either!

roger

On May 30, 6:16 pm, [email protected] (Roger Merriman) wrote:

> certinaly big one way systems like kingstons upon thames is hardly
> friendly to walk though or bike. not terribly good by car either!

They tend to get drivers into the racetrack mentality. All moving
together as fast as possible to the next red light with those who will
need to change lanes desperately trying to get a car's length in front
of their neighbour who is equally desperate not to lose a place.

--
Dave...

On May 30, 6:16 pm, [email protected] (Roger Merriman) wrote:

> certinaly big one way systems like kingstons upon thames is hardly
> friendly to walk though or bike. not terribly good by car either!

It was certainly a steep learning curve when I went to secondary
school there (though it used to go the other way past the station, as
a four lane behemoth.) Hitting an unseen channel in the road when
sprinting in four lanes of rush hour traffic and getting a snakebite
puncture in each wheel is one of the memories. The new one way system
is so much nicer than the old one, except the uphill bit after the new
underpass under the railway when you are trying to cross a lane of
traffic. Not sure I'd take my kids through it, though I learned to
cycle there a year or so older than they are now.

...d

dkahn400 <[email protected]> wrote:

> On May 30, 6:16 pm, [email protected] (Roger Merriman) wrote:
>
> > certinaly big one way systems like kingstons upon thames is hardly
> > friendly to walk though or bike. not terribly good by car either!

> They tend to get drivers into the racetrack mentality. All moving
> together as fast as possible to the next red light with those who will
> need to change lanes desperately trying to get a car's length in front
> of their neighbour who is equally desperate not to lose a place.
>
> --
> Dave...

yes does lead to rather blinkered driving, luckly i don't have to cross
lanes or any other sillyness to get home from kingston so can relax in
the jam!

roger

David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:

> On May 30, 6:16 pm, [email protected] (Roger Merriman) wrote:
>
> > certinaly big one way systems like kingstons upon thames is hardly
> > friendly to walk though or bike. not terribly good by car either!

> It was certainly a steep learning curve when I went to secondary
> school there (though it used to go the other way past the station, as
> a four lane behemoth.) Hitting an unseen channel in the road when
> sprinting in four lanes of rush hour traffic and getting a snakebite
> puncture in each wheel is one of the memories. The new one way system
> is so much nicer than the old one, except the uphill bit after the new
> underpass under the railway when you are trying to cross a lane of
> traffic. Not sure I'd take my kids through it, though I learned to
> cycle there a year or so older than they are now.
>
> ..d

i tend to use the cycle lane, under the railway and then turn right on
towards johnlewis's tunnel it's about the one bit of cycle lane thats of
any use. rather ride all the way round like in a car.

roger