General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Cosco's and Sam's

Started by jay · · Last activity · 67 posts · 2,406 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 February 2006
Last activity
27 February 2006
Original author
jay
Posts
67
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,406
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 67
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. We have had a Sam's Club card for years. Cosco's is opening close by. I
    have heard that Cosco's has better products lines than Sam's Club. Are
    most of the food related items at Cosco in LARGE packages? Opinions
    appreciated. Thanks.

  2. "jay" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    We have had a Sam's Club card for years. Cosco's is opening close by. I
    have heard that Cosco's has better products lines than Sam's Club. Are
    most of the food related items at Cosco in LARGE packages? Opinions
    appreciated. Thanks.

    I have not been to a Sams for years, but my general impression is that
    Costco is a bit "higher end." Remember too that Sams is part of the Walmart
    empire which screws its employees right and left, while Costco has a very
    good reputation for treating its workers decently.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  3. "jay" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    We have had a Sam's Club card for years. Cosco's is opening close by. I
    have heard that Cosco's has better products lines than Sam's Club. Are
    most of the food related items at Cosco in LARGE packages? Opinions
    appreciated. Thanks.

    I've noticed that recently the packaging may include 2 smaller packages.
    And, a lot of the stuff, particularly canned, is packaged 6 or 8 to a unit.
    Cheese comes in 1 and 2 pound packages It depends a lot on the way you buy.
    Toilet paper, paper towel, Kleenex are packaged with 8-10 to a unit.
    Cleaning supplies may have a couple of regular size containers to a package.
    Soda pop and beer are sold by the case. Wine by the bottle. Baked goods
    are probably a dozen to the package. Loaves of bread 2 to the package.
    Meat is definitely sold in larger packages, more like you would find in a
    regular grocery store where you pick up a discount for buying larger.
    Butter is 4 pounds to a package. Milk is 2 one gallon to a package. Potato
    chips, etc are the larger bags you would find at a regular grocery. Hope
    this helps. Generally when a Costco opens you are allowed one visit to
    cruise the store and decide if you want to become a member.
    Janet

  4. "jay" wrote >

    Quoted message said:


    We have had a Sam's Club card for years. Cosco's is opening close by. I
    have heard that Cosco's has better products lines than Sam's Club. Are
    most of the food related items at Cosco in LARGE packages? Opinions
    appreciated. Thanks.

    We belong to both and prefer Costco although it's a longer drive. Much of
    the packaging sizes are the same as Sam's and Janet has given you a good
    rundown. Although many things are the same and available at both stores
    (e.g., canned goods, detergents, etc.) many items are of better quality at
    Costco and there is greater variety. The employees are much more helpful
    and pleasant and the check-out lines are much shorter.

    Dora

  5. jay said:

    We have had a Sam's Club card for years. Cosco's is opening close by. I
    have heard that Cosco's has better products lines than Sam's Club. Are
    most of the food related items at Cosco in LARGE packages? Opinions
    appreciated. Thanks.

    ===
    We have been members of Sam's for over 14 years. Costco is opening a new
    store near where we live and what we are going to do is get a complementary
    membership when they do and test both stores. Whoever treats my pocket the
    best keeps my business.

    Ray
    Austin, TX
    ===

  6. Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman said:
    jay said:

    We have had a Sam's Club card for years. Cosco's is opening close by. I
    have heard that Cosco's has better products lines than Sam's Club. Are
    most of the food related items at Cosco in LARGE packages? Opinions
    appreciated. Thanks.

    ===
    We have been members of Sam's for over 14 years. Costco is opening a new
    store near where we live and what we are going to do is get a complementary
    membership when they do and test both stores. Whoever treats my pocket the
    best keeps my business.

    Ray
    Austin, TX
    ===

    If you are a frequent shopper and credit card user, and find Costco to
    your liking, they have a co-sponsor deal with membership with Amex
    that offers cash rebates on Costco purchases and on other purchases,
    too.

    I think the quality of their meats is worth the price of admission all
    by itself.

    Boron

  7. Janet Bostwick said:

    Generally when a Costco opens you are allowed one visit to
    cruise the store and decide if you want to become a member.
    Janet

    That used to be the policy all the time--get a one-day pass and
    browse, also buy. It may still be the policy.

    --
    -denny-
    "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

    "It's come as you are, baby."

    -over the hedge

  8. Janet Bostwick wrote:

    I suspect that there may be differences in Costco stores around the
    country. Some of the packages described below are different than what I
    get at ours here in Virginia.

    Quoted message said:

    I've noticed that recently the packaging may include 2 smaller packages.
    And, a lot of the stuff, particularly canned, is packaged 6 or 8 to a unit.
    Cheese comes in 1 and 2 pound packages

    Some come smaller. Particularly the more expensive ones. I just bought a
    10-ounce chunk of an aged parmesan (11.99/pound but wonderful).

    Quoted message said:

    It depends a lot on the way you buy.
    Toilet paper, paper towel, Kleenex are packaged with 8-10 to a unit.

    Yep.

    Quoted message said:

    Cleaning supplies may have a couple of regular size containers to a package.

    But liquid dish detergent comes in large containers. The Kirkland brand
    (Costco's house brand) golden-colored dish detergent is the best I've
    ever used - gallon. The dry dishwasher pellets (or whatever they're
    called) come in a larger than supermarket package. But they all get
    used, so what?

    Quoted message said:

    Soda pop and beer are sold by the case. Wine by the bottle.

    And the box. Sometimes in two or more bottles strung together with
    plastic wrap.

    Quoted message said:

    Baked goods are probably a dozen to the package.

    Some are. But large pound cakes are 3. Bagels 12. Croissants 12. French
    round rolls 24. Ciabatta 2. Their pies are simply the biggest around.
    Usually good. I didn't like their Dutch apple pie. Gummy. Danish 12, and
    they make it in the store, not prefab.

    Quoted message said:

    Loaves of bread 2 to the package.

    The multi-grain, 2 or 3 pound loaves are singles. Others two, many more
    of them.

    Quoted message said:

    Meat is definitely sold in larger packages, more like you would find in a
    regular grocery store where you pick up a discount for buying larger.

    And the cuts are larger. Ribeyes are typically cut 2-inches thick. Whole
    filets. Whole rib sections. 2 pork rib plates; pretty standard. 2 whole
    boneless pork shoulders. Full tender loin cut. Lamb legs (boned, rolled
    and tied), rib sections, bone in and Frenched. Chicken - 2 whole fryers.
    Boneless, skinless thighs - 24.

    Quoted message said:

    Butter is 4 pounds to a package.

    3 pounds here.

    Quoted message said:

    Milk is 2 one gallon to a package.

    Sold singly here.

    Quoted message said:

    Potato
    chips, etc are the larger bags you would find at a regular grocery.

    Yep. And almost everything is cheaper than the corresponding products in
    a supermarket, but with good quality.

    You did a good description of the style and spirit of Costco.

    Pastorio

  9. Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman said:

    We have been members of Sam's for over 14 years. Costco is opening a new
    store near where we live and what we are going to do is get a complementary
    membership when they do and test both stores. Whoever treats my pocket the
    best keeps my business.

    Yeah - the first Costco they opened in Austin, they *gave* out
    free memberships. Not sure if they'll do that for the second one,
    but I hope so. My Membership from CA is still good in Texas, for
    a few months, at least. My Sam's from SC expired, and I have no
    intention of renewing it.

    Where is the new one going to be?

    I've had memberships to all the clubs since the original Price
    Club in Sunnyvale, CA. Rating the 3 clubs I've spent tens of
    thousands of dollars at, I'd rate them (1-5):

    Costco: 5
    BJ's: 3
    Sams: 2

    Costco beats all the others hands down. But it all depends on how
    you use the stores. For meat and quality household items, CostCo
    rocks.

    -sw

  10. "Bob (this one)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    snip

    Quoted message said:

    Yep. And almost everything is cheaper than the corresponding products in a
    supermarket, but with good quality.

    You did a good description of the style and spirit of Costco.

    Pastorio

    From your description, I'd say you're right about the contents of the store
    begin styled slightly different from store to store and region to region.
    It's hard not to buy there -- everything is so pretty and so clean and
    fresh.
    Janet

  11. Steve Wertz said:

    For meat and quality household items, CostCo
    rocks.

    Worth mentioning that Dave Bugg gets his ribs (and other meats? IDK;
    we didn't discuss them) from Costco.

    --
    -denny-
    "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

    "It's come as you are, baby."

    -over the hedge

  12. Peter Aitken said:


    I have not been to a Sams for years, but my general impression is that
    Costco is a bit "higher end." Remember too that Sams is part of the Walmart
    empire which screws its employees right and left, while Costco has a very
    good reputation for treating its workers decently.

    Yup. They also pay well. I worked for them breifly during my college
    years.

    Plus, I have returned things without a receipt, as they know my
    purchases in their computer system.

    My most impressive return was a TV/VCR that my mom bought for me for
    x-mas. over a year later it literally exploded. I took it back, they
    looked it up as something they had sold & returned it without any
    questions. No box, no papers, no receipt.

  13. jay said:

    We have had a Sam's Club card for years. Cosco's is opening close by. I
    have heard that Cosco's has better products lines than Sam's Club. Are
    most of the food related items at Cosco in LARGE packages? Opinions
    appreciated. Thanks.

    You have to do the math on the items you are purchasing. I have found
    that the svaings aren't that great except on things like Pirelli tires.
    Ours costs $65 to join, so we don't - we simply can find as good or
    better deals elsewhere.

    -L.

  14. On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 22:59:36 -0500, "Bob (this one)" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Janet Bostwick wrote:

    I suspect that there may be differences in Costco stores around the
    country. Some of the packages described below are different than what I
    get at ours here in Virginia.

    Quoted message said:

    I've noticed that recently the packaging may include 2 smaller packages.
    And, a lot of the stuff, particularly canned, is packaged 6 or 8 to a unit.
    Cheese comes in 1 and 2 pound packages

    Some come smaller. Particularly the more expensive ones. I just bought a
    10-ounce chunk of an aged parmesan (11.99/pound but wonderful).

    Quoted message said:

    It depends a lot on the way you buy.
    Toilet paper, paper towel, Kleenex are packaged with 8-10 to a unit.

    Yep.

    Quoted message said:

    Cleaning supplies may have a couple of regular size containers to a package.

    But liquid dish detergent comes in large containers. The Kirkland brand
    (Costco's house brand) golden-colored dish detergent is the best I've
    ever used - gallon. The dry dishwasher pellets (or whatever they're
    called) come in a larger than supermarket package. But they all get
    used, so what?

    Quoted message said:

    Soda pop and beer are sold by the case. Wine by the bottle.

    And the box. Sometimes in two or more bottles strung together with
    plastic wrap.

    Quoted message said:

    Baked goods are probably a dozen to the package.

    Some are. But large pound cakes are 3. Bagels 12. Croissants 12. French
    round rolls 24. Ciabatta 2. Their pies are simply the biggest around.
    Usually good. I didn't like their Dutch apple pie. Gummy. Danish 12, and
    they make it in the store, not prefab.

    Quoted message said:

    Loaves of bread 2 to the package.

    The multi-grain, 2 or 3 pound loaves are singles. Others two, many more
    of them.

    Quoted message said:

    Meat is definitely sold in larger packages, more like you would find in a
    regular grocery store where you pick up a discount for buying larger.

    And the cuts are larger. Ribeyes are typically cut 2-inches thick. Whole
    filets. Whole rib sections. 2 pork rib plates; pretty standard. 2 whole
    boneless pork shoulders. Full tender loin cut. Lamb legs (boned, rolled
    and tied), rib sections, bone in and Frenched. Chicken - 2 whole fryers.
    Boneless, skinless thighs - 24.

    Quoted message said:

    Butter is 4 pounds to a package.

    3 pounds here.

    Quoted message said:

    Milk is 2 one gallon to a package.

    Sold singly here.

    Quoted message said:

    Potato
    chips, etc are the larger bags you would find at a regular grocery.

    Yep. And almost everything is cheaper than the corresponding products in
    a supermarket, but with good quality.

    You did a good description of the style and spirit of Costco.

    Pastorio

    I just ordered glasses from Costco. Frames in the local
    ophthamoligist's office were twice what they were at Costco and the
    lenses also about twice the price. I bought a pair of progressive
    bifocals "with everything" and a pair of reading glasses for just
    about 1/2 of the local price. They also guarantee them completely.

    Last year we ordered an 8' X 12' greenhouse from Costco.
    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974

  15. limey said:


    "jay" wrote >

    We belong to both and prefer Costco although it's a longer drive. Much of
    the packaging sizes are the same as Sam's and Janet has given you a good
    rundown. Although many things are the same and available at both stores
    (e.g., canned goods, detergents, etc.) many items are of better quality at
    Costco and there is greater variety. The employees are much more helpful
    and pleasant and the check-out lines are much shorter.

    Dora

    Thanks Dora. We were considering dual memberships. Why do you have both?
    Nice employees sounds good. The employees at Sam's are less than helpful.

  16. jay said:

    We have had a Sam's Club card for years. Cosco's is opening close by. I
    have heard that Cosco's has better products lines than Sam's Club. Are
    most of the food related items at Cosco in LARGE packages? Opinions
    appreciated. Thanks.

    Thanks to all for your input. It sounds like Cosco wins.

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    jay said:

    We have had a Sam's Club card for years. Cosco's is opening close by. I
    have heard that Cosco's has better products lines than Sam's Club. Are
    most of the food related items at Cosco in LARGE packages? Opinions
    appreciated. Thanks.

    Why don't you stop by that new Costco and see for yourself? I believe
    they offer a free trial pass, or just wait until a friend buys a
    membership card and then tag along when your friend shops there.

  18. "limey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "jay" wrote >

    Quoted message said:


    We have had a Sam's Club card for years. Cosco's is opening close by. I
    have heard that Cosco's has better products lines than Sam's Club. Are
    most of the food related items at Cosco in LARGE packages? Opinions
    appreciated. Thanks.

    We belong to both and prefer Costco although it's a longer drive. Much
    of the packaging sizes are the same as Sam's and Janet has given you a
    good rundown. Although many things are the same and available at both
    stores (e.g., canned goods, detergents, etc.) many items are of better
    quality at Costco and there is greater variety. The employees are much
    more helpful and pleasant and the check-out lines are much shorter.

    Dora


    One thing I like about Costco is that when they put their signature brand,
    "Kirkland" on a product, it is a better product than the one you are used to
    buying, even in their store, and for sale beside the similar product of the
    same. That's been my experience.
    Dee Dee

  19. "Steve Wertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman said:

    We have been members of Sam's for over 14 years. Costco is opening a new
    store near where we live and what we are going to do is get a
    complementary
    membership when they do and test both stores. Whoever treats my pocket
    the
    best keeps my business.

    Yeah - the first Costco they opened in Austin, they *gave* out
    free memberships. Not sure if they'll do that for the second one,
    but I hope so. My Membership from CA is still good in Texas, for
    a few months, at least. My Sam's from SC expired, and I have no
    intention of renewing it.

    Where is the new one going to be?

    I've had memberships to all the clubs since the original Price
    Club in Sunnyvale, CA. Rating the 3 clubs I've spent tens of
    thousands of dollars at, I'd rate them (1-5):

    Costco: 5
    BJ's: 3
    Sams: 2

    Costco beats all the others hands down. But it all depends on how
    you use the stores. For meat and quality household items, CostCo
    rocks.

    -sw

    I think your ratings are similar to what I'd rate them.
    One reason I am a member of BJ's, as well as Costco, is that they have
    different products. For instance BJ's coffee (which I don't drink anymore)
    is of such better quality and variety than Costco's ho-hum offering. BJ's
    has a brandname, "B&H," similar to Costco's "Kirkland" that offers some
    different products of quality than Costco. BJ's offer a variety of small
    kitchen appliances, they offer Ecce Panis bread and so on.
    Maybe BJ's 3.25?
    Sams - for me -- forget it!
    Dee Dee

  20. "Denise~*" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Peter Aitken said:


    I have not been to a Sams for years, but my general impression is that
    Costco is a bit "higher end." Remember too that Sams is part of the
    Walmart empire which screws its employees right and left, while Costco
    has a very good reputation for treating its workers decently.

    Yup. They also pay well. I worked for them breifly during my college
    years.

    Plus, I have returned things without a receipt, as they know my purchases
    in their computer system.

    My most impressive return was a TV/VCR that my mom bought for me for
    x-mas. over a year later it literally exploded. I took it back, they
    looked it up as something they had sold & returned it without any
    questions. No box, no papers, no receipt.

    Their computers are guaranteed for either 6 months or a year -- I believe it
    is a year. They told me when I complained about a dryer that I had already
    installed (that I bought on-line) that I had a year to bring it back.
    I bought a jacket recently that smelled of that amonia smell -- I started to
    explain, they said, no explanation needed, we believe you, and this is the
    way it always goes with Costco returns for me. Complete satisfaction.
    Dee Dee

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.