In article <[email hidden]>,
trihard said:Ball park figures from our last event:
Travel expenses/accomodations -?$
Base price - $2,500
Per racer - $5 (200 minimum; you get charged $1,000
even if you have less than that)
So, you pay $2500 no matter what, plus an additional $5 per
racer, so the minimum cost is $3500 plus $5 per racer over
the 200 minimum? Yikes! Okay, now I understand why they
don't do it for smaller races: $17.50 per person for 200
people or $9 for 600 people. That's more than the T-shirts
cost. Of course, I guess they already budget something for
timing costs, so maybe it's not $9 MORE per person, maybe
it's just $7 or $8, but still. For a local sprint race,
you're just going to discourage people from coming if you
bump the entry fee that much.
OTOH, the $6 and change it works out to for the 1800 people
in an Ironman is a tiny fraction of the $400 you pay to
participate.
--Harold Buck
"I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Th-
en it was every other day. . . ."
- Homer J. Simpson