Coulée Verte in Ile de France - Rather Disappointing

Elisa Francesca

Guest
This route is famous. When the railway line became
disaffected, a community movement undertook to have it
converted into a green pathway, for pedestrians, cyclists,
rollerbladers and kick scooterists, along its whole distance
from the 15th Arrondissment in Paris at Vanves-Malakofff to
Massy in Essonne. So, in theory, I can ride this pathway
right into the heart of Paree.

In yesterday's gorgeous weather I thought, as I left work a
little early, to check out the Essonnian end, up to the town
of Antony.

What's up with the asphalt? Did they not calculate for the
tree-roots? At the very first segment I met these - bumps
doesn't describe it. It's like the pavement is being
overturned by some sort of underground veinous system, tree
roots is the only explaination I can come up with. There are
sharp ridges up to ten inches high criss-crossing the path
in every direction. The asphalt at the top is cracking open.

I thought this was a momentary glitch but I kept
encountering the same phenomenon all the way to Antony -
these bone-rattling, bicycle-killing ridges. At one point
there was even a ledge, about 20 inches high. And then there
are bubble-bumps that look like something was boiling
underneath the pavement.

In addition there are barriers everywhere. OK, so they don't
want people to got too fast (how could they anyway?). But
every 200 meters you come across a gated crossing which
requires, for uncoordinated me, a dismount and a careful
twisting of Behemoth round the double barriers. This takes
enough time and attention that I cannot even check if there
is traffic coming as I find myself in the intersection.

I met groups of cyclists, joggers, trottineurs, promenaders
but on considerable stretches of path I was quite alone.
Walls were graffitied with evidence of local "fauna". Alone
is fine, but I don't much like the idea of some of the types
who might get the idea to share my solitude. Slow,
vulnerable mover on a luxury bike with steering problems ...
I passed a few gangs of yoofs (thanks Helen, good term) who
were harmless. On this occasion. And all the joggers were
fine and decent too, but I suspect that when one of them
gets the idea to expose himself there won't be strolling
crowds around. At one point, at a bendy section that passed
under a much graffitied, ******-on railway arch, I met a
young woman cycling very slowly, all on her brakes, in the
opposite direction. I could see she was just as scared as I
was, and for the same reasons.

In its favor, I will say that the weather was lovely and
that there were some pretty, green parkland sections. I only
went a fraction of the route. Perhaps if one is accustomed
to the paths one learns how to steer around the bumps, and
how to plan getting on and off. Or perhaps MTBers and BMXers
actually like it that way. I saw several just whizzing
along. I guess I understand now why some bikes need full
suspension.

But I was so much on my brakes and handlebars that I
developed spasms in my right arm. My fingers are still
twitching this morning.

Cheers all, EFR Ile de France

I do sympathize and share your feelings. Here too, in
Switzerland, planners tend to define and advertise bike
paths and routes whose sole virtue is to be car free but
which are extremely difficult and frustrating to ride on
anything else than a suspended mountain bike.

I suspect that these planners consider cycling a good
exercise to practice twice a year on a sunny Sunday
afternoon, with the kids and the dog, on no more than 10 km.
They probably consider "normal" riding (I mean on roads,
even small) far too dangerous; the males in the family will
have mountain bikes but won't dare use them in mountains
(hey, there are climbs !). The females will use clonking 3-
speeds because everybody knows that women can't master
derailleurs (OK, here I am becoming slightly archetypal).

Such paths are, indeed, crowded in summer week-ends.

This way, Offical Authorities, Automobile Associations and
even Green Transportation Advocates are satisfied that
cycling is actively promoted. While cyclists who don't ride
mountain bikes and want to go somewhere learn _not_ to
follow these red signposts with a bike on it.

Jacques

On Wed, 19 May 2004 12:39:01 +0200, Elisa Francesca Roselli
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):
>... all the joggers were fine and decent too, but I suspect
>that when one of them gets the idea to expose himself there
>won't be strolling crowds around.

The best way to cope with a 'flasher' is to point and laugh.

And it's important to laugh at, not with. :)

--
Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122 Smalltalk