Could I Be A Pro

mfunston

Aug 12, 2013
Hey Guys. How are you doing? This is my first time on this forum and first time posting. I have a couple of questions for you guys and hopefully I can get a honest answer from it.

So let me tell you a little bit about myself. My name is Michael Funston and I am 21 years old. I have been a casual bike rider all my life. I always wanted to ride in races and become a professional cyclist. I couldn't do that when I was younger because I was sick as a child and had to have a kidney transplant. I am healthy for now and want begin competing and hopefully one day become a professional cyclist. My questions for you guys is can I still become a Professional even if I'm starting at 21? If I can, how often should I train? Is upper body strength important? Should I weight lift also?

Thanks in advance for taking the time out and reading my questions. Thank you and have a nice day.

You can always try, but there is only one way to determine your ability, and that it trying your best at it. Pro cyclist ride almost every day, hours and hours every day. As a pro, riding will be your job. Everything going into your body is done to maximize riding performance. The hard part will be getting hired and earning your income doing this. The place to start is with local bike shops and suppliers to try to get sponsorship, which would typically be in the way of reduced costs for bikes and parts, which you will need to pay for still.
Good luck

Good advice above, the only way to find out is to try.

But realistically before you become a pro you have to become a top level amateur racer. So seek out and join a local club or racing team that works with newer racers and take out a racing license. Search the internet for information on regional or local bike racing organizations (in the US, most states have a state level racing organization like WSBA in Washington, NCNCA in Northern California, OBRA in Oregon, etc.) or ask around at local bike shops for info on racing and racing teams you could join. That's about the fastest way to learn the game with more experienced riders to help steer you in the right direction.

Twenty one is not too old if you get after it now. I know a few pros that picked up cycling in college and were several years older than you are now and the vast majority of even top flight amateurs started later in life as the sport definitely attracts older athletes and has always struggled to bring enough juniors into the sport. One look at the size of most masters racing fields compared to the juniors makes that pretty clear.

Get out and ride, get out and race and see where you can take it.

Good luck,
-Dave

Originally Posted by mfunston .

I will do whatever it takes to do this.
Motivation and dreams are good.

But you must realize how the cynical might view that statement in the light of all the scandals pro cycling has endured recently ;)

Get out there, find folks to ride with and start racing. You may achieve your dreams and go pro or you may become a lifelong amateur racer like many of us or might just make cycling part of your ongoing lifestyle regardless of how you earn your living but it's a great journey regardless.

-Dave

That is what it will take. You will need to give up a lot to make it happen. I wish I had had the dedication and support at one time.

I can only think one career where you can be a professional without training and its the oldest one.

Aside from lots of training, a select few individuals have the genetic makeup to become elite endurance athletes. Of course you will never know if you have the goods unless you put in the time - a lot of time.

As a casual cyclist, I assume you really haven't done any sporting group riding or racing. If so, get a bike, buy some kit and find a group. Prepare to swallow your pride, feel the hurt and get dropped - it will happen a lot. If you keep coming back, you will get better.

Training can really stress the body and the immune system. Being a transplant recipient, I assume that you take meds for rejection purposes - this may interfere with heavy training. You should probably talk with a physician about your plans before diving in headfirst.

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Michael, I can tell you from personal experience that reaching the top level in any sport requires a lot of natural talent as well as a genuine love for what you are doing. No one can tell you whether you have the skills or talent to become a professional athlete, and it certainly shouldn’t matter what their opinions are.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]If you could look into your future and see whether or not you make it as a professional level athlete would it change your approach to cycling? If you are willing to do everything you can to reach your potential as a cyclist regardless of what the outcome is then I would say you have the love and ambition to make it. So that’s half the battle. The other half is having the talent/genetics. It will more than likely take you several years of consistent training to get an idea of what your potential is. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Bottom line, you have to be in it for the long haul, which shouldn’t be an issue if you truly love cycling. Best of luck to you! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Buy a few cycle training books, "The cyclists training bible" comes to mind, get the gear and the equipment and start training. Find your local club and start riding with them in group rides. After one year, you will know if you have the natural talent to pursue your ambition.

21, college years ? finish first or simultaneously your bachelor's degree, set your sights on the local scene first, every pro rider you see on the Tour de France, even the guy in last place of the standings, has been a champion of his local race calendar as an amateur or continental pro,

If you're good enough you'll find out in year, maybe two at the most. If you're gifted enough to be up there with the best you'll progress quickly through the ranks. Go race, give it all you have but still keep your feet on the ground and finish college. If you're stuck as a 3rd cat rider in a couple of years (no disrespect for cat3 guys n gals) then ride for fun and reset your goals a little. If you are good enough - winning will be easy until you're a cat 1 rider and then you might have to suffer a bit...

Michael, from your short post you seem like a nice kid. Don't let anyone tell you what you can't do.

But, you want an honest answer? The guys have given you some good advice. I'm a surgeon, finished a period of training in transplant last year (no longer).

I think you are against the odds becoming a professional rider (most of us are anyway), but think outside the box and you can certainly make cycling your profession. Or, look at the transplant games, is there
cycling there? If not, why not take your drive, pick another fun sport and go nuts. Those guys and girls are awesome and an inspiration. (Or try and find a transplant recipient who has gone pro in cycling, contact them and make them your mentor. )

I don't know what your underlying kidney problem was, but you would have been sick for a long time at a key time in physical development . You could have been born with Chris Froome's ability, but being sick whilst you developed hasn't given you much of a start. Add to that steroids, dialysis, any infections along the way...

I don't know what immunosuppression you are on now, but I don't think we really know the effects of MMF or tacro or cyclo on hard core endurance training. I can't envisage that it would help.

In terms of strength, there is no clear evidence that i have seen that indicates weight training per se is essential for cycling, but that might be different if you need to catch up on some muscle growth.

Good luck mate. Start racing at a low level and work your way up. If nothing else you will get fit and have fun.