Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Council pickup bike in Perth

Started by Graeme Dods · · Last activity · 9 posts · 905 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
24 October 2005
Last activity
26 October 2005
Original author
Graeme Dods
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
905
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Does anyone know what areas in/around Perth currently have kerbside hard
    rubbish collection? I'm about to go on a week long camping/canoeing trip
    down south and will need a bike to do the shuttle runs up & down the
    river(s). There is no way I'm taking my "proper" bike and my "junk" bike
    has silly little skinny tyres that will sink into the sand/mud.

    So I'm after a free junk bike that will get me there and I don't need to
    stress too much about locking or loosing. I've been on the prowl on a
    couple of local collections recently, but no joy yet :-(

    Graeme

  2. "Graeme Dods" wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone know what areas in/around Perth currently have kerbside hard
    rubbish collection?

    Hmmmm, think there is one coming up around Duncraig. I will check the local
    rag tonight for you.

    BruceA

  3. Graeme Dods said:

    Does anyone know what areas in/around Perth currently have kerbside hard
    rubbish collection? I'm about to go on a week long camping/canoeing trip
    down south and will need a bike to do the shuttle runs up & down the
    river(s). There is no way I'm taking my "proper" bike and my "junk" bike
    has silly little skinny tyres that will sink into the sand/mud.

    So I'm after a free junk bike that will get me there and I don't need to
    stress too much about locking or loosing. I've been on the prowl on a
    couple of local collections recently, but no joy yet :-(

    Graeme


    Our part of South Perth just had its collection in the last couple of weeks.

    SteveA

  4. Graeme Dods said:

    Does anyone know what areas in/around Perth currently have kerbside hard
    rubbish collection? I'm about to go on a week long camping/canoeing trip
    down south and will need a bike to do the shuttle runs up & down the
    river(s). There is no way I'm taking my "proper" bike and my "junk" bike
    has silly little skinny tyres that will sink into the sand/mud.

    So I'm after a free junk bike that will get me there and I don't need to
    stress too much about locking or loosing. I've been on the prowl on a
    couple of local collections recently, but no joy yet :-(

    Graeme

    http://www.dlgrd.wa.gov.au/localGovt/localGovtContacts/localGovtList.asp

    provides a list of local gov websites. They should have hard rubbish dates.

  5. [censored]! Wifey threw out the local paper!

    But all is not lost. Here is the link for our LG area pickups.
    http://tinyurl.com/datev

    BruceA

  6. M Bison said:

    http://www.dlgrd.wa.gov.au/localGovt/localGovtContacts/localGovtList.asp

    provides a list of local gov websites. They should have hard rubbish dates.

    Thanks for that. I've had a look at gov websites before, but not knowing
    the names of councils didn't help. Some of the local sites had pretty good
    information about where and when the pick ups were, others said remarkably
    unhelpful things like "You'll know when we stick a note in your mailbox".

    It looks like Canning and Melville might be a good bet.

    Do these pickups use shared resources at all? i.e. is it one (or a few)
    sub-contracted companies doing it for a number of suburbs. It looks like it
    might be from the pickup dates for neighbouring councils. It might mean
    there's a very useful "elephants' graveyard" of useful junk somewhere out
    there.

    Graeme

  7. quote='Graeme Dods'On Mon said:

    dlgrd.wa.gov.aulocalGovtList.asp

    provides a list of local gov websites. They should have hard rubbish dates.

    Thanks for that. I've had a look at gov websites before, but not knowing
    the names of councils didn't help. Some of the local sites had pretty good
    information about where and when the pick ups were, others said remarkably
    unhelpful things like "You'll know when we stick a note in your mailbox".

    It looks like Canning and Melville might be a good bet.

    Do these pickups use shared resources at all? i.e. is it one (or a few)
    sub-contracted companies doing it for a number of suburbs. It looks like it
    might be from the pickup dates for neighbouring councils. It might mean
    there's a very useful "elephants' graveyard" of useful junk somewhere out
    there.

    Graeme[/QUOTE]
    The other question to ask is whether there is any recycling of the items that are picked up from the kerbsides. Not all of the councils have their own refuse tips (do any?). Some, if not all, use 'transfer stations' as a central point before taking refuse off to a tip somewhere. If recyclable items like bikes end up someahere central, it could be worth paying $20 to get a hack bike.

    Another option is the Police auction conducted by Ross's Auctioneers in Perth

    Next auction with bikes - 10:00am Wednesday, 7th December 2005

    In Ross's showrooms, 241 Railway Pde, Maylands, WA
    Inspection: 9am to 4pm day before auction & 8am to 9.30am auction day

    Closer to the day there is usually an auction catalogue rossauction.com.au07122005p, but you can't really tell what the bikes on the list are in my experience.

    SteveA

  8. SteveA said:

    The other question to ask is whether there is any recycling of the
    items that are picked up from the kerbsides. Not all of the councils
    have their own refuse tips (do any?). Some, if not all, use 'transfer
    stations' as a central point before taking refuse off to a tip
    somewhere. If recyclable items like bikes end up someahere central, it
    could be worth paying $20 to get a hack bike.

    That's worth looking into. It looks like a number of councils use Cleanaway
    <http://www.cleanaway.com.au> so I'll give them a call.

    Quoted message said:

    Another option is the Police auction conducted by Ross's Auctioneers in
    Perth

    Next auction with bikes - 10:00am Wednesday, 7th December 2005

    In Ross's showrooms, 241 Railway Pde, Maylands, WA
    Inspection: 9am to 4pm day before auction & 8am to 9.30am auction day

    I keep looking at those (I used to get email updates about their auctions),
    but unfortunately this thing called work gets in the way :-/

    Graeme

  9. quote='Graeme Dods'On Tue said:

    The other question to ask is whether there is any recycling of the
    items that are picked up from the kerbsides. Not all of the councils
    have their own refuse tips (do any?). Some, if not all, use 'transfer
    stations' as a central point before taking refuse off to a tip
    somewhere. If recyclable items like bikes end up someahere central, it
    could be worth paying $20 to get a hack bike.

    That's worth looking into. It looks like a number of councils use Cleanaway
    <http://www.cleanaway.com.au> so I'll give them a call.

    Quoted message said:

    Another option is the Police auction conducted by Ross's Auctioneers in
    Perth

    Next auction with bikes - 10:00am Wednesday, 7th December 2005

    In Ross's showrooms, 241 Railway Pde, Maylands, WA
    Inspection: 9am to 4pm day before auction & 8am to 9.30am auction day

    I keep looking at those (I used to get email updates about their auctions),
    but unfortunately this thing called work gets in the way :-/

    Graeme[/QUOTE]
    saw some close to whole and ready to ride cycles at the Mindarie~Joondalup tip a week or so back, most would need a chain oil and a new tyres at the most

    Tony

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.