Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Craig Superlinks

Started by Peder · · Last activity · 23 posts · 1,368 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
8 June 2004
Last activity
11 June 2004
Original author
Peder
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,368
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–23 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Peter Storey said:

    "Mark South" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "John Everett" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I'm not sure if this would help, but many years ago I fashioned a
    tool from coat hanger wire to take up the tension in the chain
    before link removal. It's just a three inch length of wire with
    hooks bent on each end. I use it to span the section that contains
    the master link, allowing that section to droop below the little
    wire tool. This makes it quite easy to slide the sideplates into
    the removal position, assuming (in the case of PowerLinks) that the
    sideplates can be squeezed together.

    I've never seen one, but I can't believe that Park or someone
    doesn't sell a plated alloy version of this in a blister pack with
    an instruction manual for something in the region of $20.

    They could give it an obscure part number and call it "chain link
    removal assistant" or whatever.

    In fact, the Topeak Hummer multi-tool includes one.

    Peter Storey

    I use an old spoke. The elbow helps keep the end in the link while you hook
    the other end of the chain. Could fit in a seatback or Camelbak if you felt
    so inclined.

    Tom

  2. I've been using them for decades (they are now made by SRAM, BTW) and
    they haven't failed me yet. MUCH easier than "breaking" the chain, ant
    doesn't weaken the links either.

    - -

    "May you have the wind at your back.
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    Chris'Z Corner
    http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  3. Peder <[email hidden]> wrote in news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Are these Craig Superlinks any good, or just a gimmick? Thanks for
    reading.

    http://www.theramp.net/craig/slmain.html

    Yeah, they're good. Highly recommended so you can take off your chain and
    clean it properly.

    Over the years, I had one Superlink break on me. It was the old style
    with the welded pins. They ripped out of the side plate. The newer style
    have pins with the head like a nail head. I have had these pins come
    loose in the side plates. Not a danger for coming apart on the road, but
    when you disassemble the chain, the pins fall out. I wish they would make
    the Superlinks with the nail head pins welded in place.

    --
    Mike DeMicco <[email hidden]>

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.