Cramplifier

msummers

Jun 27, 2005
After a very long 122 mile epic ride at 90 + degrees and a monster headwind on the way home for the last 30, it's no wonder that my body is one gigantic cramp. After 7 hours and gallons of liquid including Gatorade, Extran, water, Gu, bannanas and the like I was still unable to fend off the dreaded cramps. Funny thing is that not only were my quads and hamstrings going ballistic, but even my hands, toes, neck, low back and shoulders kept going into spasm. Not quite the deadly knock or bonk, but on the brink. Which begs the question, are cramps caused from heat-fluid loss, glycogen depletion or just a zillion contractions? Can a training effect occur from insufferable long rides which may reduce these side effects? Or is this just going to far? Is there any purpose to train at these durations if your longest races are 75 or less?

msummers

I was under the impression that electrolyte imbalance/depletion was the main cause of cramping. I'd recommend sports drink, bananas (for the potassium), or electrolyte tablets *during the event* to help minimize cramps.