Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Crappy road or bike?

Started by Dave80 · · Last activity · 14 posts · 1,487 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
29 August 2006
Last activity
18 September 2006
Original author
Dave80
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,487
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hiya all,
    Just wondering what other Melbourne riders think about the quality of the road around the Yarra boulevard between Chandler Hwy and CUB. I almost lost some teeth (from my mouth) today! I found the 'bike path/lane' to be really bumpy and the road not much better particularly over speeds of 25km/h. Not so much in terms of large bumps/potholes but just really really rough/course asphalt. Do I need to toughen up a bit or do others agree? I ended up riding home via bridge rd-high st-doncaster rd which was much better even with 1 million cars and trams etc

  2. Dave80 said:

    Hiya all,
    Just wondering what other Melbourne riders think about the quality of the road around the Yarra boulevard between Chandler Hwy and CUB. I almost lost some teeth (from my mouth) today! I found the 'bike path/lane' to be really bumpy and the road not much better particularly over speeds of 25km/h. Not so much in terms of large bumps/potholes but just really really rough/course asphalt. Do I need to toughen up a bit or do others agree? I ended up riding home via bridge rd-high st-doncaster rd which was much better even with 1 million cars and trams etc


    Yeah it's a pretty ordinary surface - the bike path is not so bad and there are a couple of smooth sections of road but on the whole it is not the best.

    Bit of a shame because aside from that it is a great little spot to train....

  3. AAAAGHH!! Don't get me started!! :p

    that is the CRAPPIEST, OVERRATED, so called "cycling friendly" road around!
    I used to do it all the time when I was riding home from La Trobe Uni.
    [censored], [censored], [censored] road. 😄 Doing the first, fast left hand descending bend, starting from the Chandler Hwy end is actually a littel dangerous at good speed because the road is so bad that you can lose traction.

    Apart from that, it's nice and quiet and secluded, and very scenic 🙂

  4. I agree. I've been down there the past few saturdays (n00b roadie - I just found out about this road), and the surface is very jarring. I tended to ride in the road lane, because the bike lane's surface is so much worse (not where the bike lane is segregated, but the rest of it). Forget about doing 40+ on an aluminium bike!

  5. 531Aussie said:

    AAAAGHH!! Don't get me started!! :p

    that is the CRAPPIEST, OVERRATED, so called "cycling friendly" road around!

    Oh come on! Yeh, the surface is [censored], but seriously you get used to it. Mon-friday afternoon I spend going round and round and round the Boulie. THe surface is less than perfect, but the roughness plus rolling hills is PERFECT training territory with hardly any cars and some scenery.

    The BEST thing about the boulie is the lack of traffic lights, meaning you can go flat out and not have to worry about stopping, but it's not as boring as a velodrome or a home trainer. If training 'properly' on other roads one has to skip red lights to keep their heart rate up (which is ridiculously stupid). Plus look at some of the upcoming stars who've spent many an afternoon training there.. W Walker, N Walker, D Braunsteins, Me! (I wish!🙄 )

  6. yeah, despite the surface, it's a great little haven for inner city people who can't get to other spots.

    in that 'vague' vicinity, I used to like riding around Kilby and Wilsmere Rds, then I'd head up Lower and Upper Heidelberg Rds and ride all around Ivanhoe and Eaglemont. There are some really nice streets, houses and hills around there. Oh yeah, also the other Blvd in Ivahhoe East that goes around the golf course, and the other Blvd bit that runs along the Yarra in Ive East, on the other side of Burke Rd

  7. i think its crappy for a reason. if it was nice and smooth can you imagine how many fully sick, dumped on its nuts cars would speed through it? ive seen a guy flip his car after clipping the curb and rolling it across both lanes and down the embankment on the other side landing on its roof. he didnt seem too fazed, he took out his stereo and melways and walked off :eek:

    the other downside is how quickly the road wears your tyres out 🙁
    i dont ride it anymore, if you want hills go to the dandenongs

  8. Jono L said:

    Oh come on! Yeh, the surface is [censored], but seriously you get used to it.

    Out of curosity what are you riding? I gave it another bash today but exited halfway to go down Johnston St (How good is the merge into traffic which is both coming around a corner and cresting a hill). I will ride it again when I need to go into the city but on my cheap $700 Alu bike it really bites at speeds above 25km/h.

    I think I will stick to templestowe (reynolds rd) for my hill ride. It makes the climb all the more enjoyable when you know you can fly down the other side and not risk having your bike self destruct on the descent.

  9. Yeh, I'm usually riding a Trek 1500 round there.

    Going to the Dandenongs for hill training ain't exactly ideal every weeknight...

  10. 531Aussie said:

    yeah, despite the surface, it's a great little haven for inner city people who can't get to other spots.

    in that 'vague' vicinity, I used to like riding around Kilby and Wilsmere Rds, then I'd head up Lower and Upper Heidelberg Rds and ride all around Ivanhoe and Eaglemont.


    You left out Burgundy Street!

  11. Dave80 said:

    Hiya all,
    Just wondering what other Melbourne riders think about the quality of the road around the Yarra boulevard between Chandler Hwy and CUB. I almost lost some teeth (from my mouth) today!


    I was just wondering where else you might have lost some teeth from apart from your mouth. Did you just keep all the teeth you lost as a kid in your top pocket instead of giving them to the tooth fairy? Or have you got a special set in your [censored] or something? 😄

  12. jock.c said:

    I was just wondering where else you might have lost some teeth from apart from your mouth. Did you just keep all the teeth you lost as a kid in your top pocket instead of giving them to the tooth fairy? Or have you got a special set in your [censored] or something? 😄

    I suppose the teeth on the cogs...
    Looking at your other posts your favourite subject is 'the thread about nothing' obviously a topic more suited to your area of expertise - have you tried making informative or constructive comments?

    Discussion for those interested in sharing information/informative opinions:
    I noticed yesterday that they have resealed one of the worst parts of the boulevard - the hairpin near CUB (around the golf course) but its still fairly dodgey with the worst potholes marked in yellow - hopefully to be fixed at some stage soon.

  13. Dave80 said:

    have you tried making informative or constructive comments?


    where and when I make constructive comments is none of your concern. For now just be happy that I've entered your world with a flippant one. Carry on.

  14. Dave80 said:

    I suppose the teeth on the cogs...
    Looking at your other posts your favourite subject is 'the thread about nothing' obviously a topic more suited to your area of expertise - have you tried making informative or constructive comments?

    pretty narky for a bloke with 29 posts....we shall all wait with baited breath for the 'great Dave' to say something of earth shattering significance......but perhaps given your whining so far, i won't hold my breath...you wouldn't know a crappy bike lane if ya fell over it (or into it!)...least you city slickers have got 'em

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.