RyanS77 said:$10,000 per bike, I think that is pushing it. The frames LA uses are out of the box. Even with top of the line components, it would be hard to spend more than $6,000.
I think you're right on this. Here's a quote directly from Trek's website:
Along with the Madone 5.9, Madone SL 5.9, and Team Time Trial bike, the Madone SSL will be one of four bikes that Lance will have available for him to ride as he attempts to make history at the 2004 Tour de France. Of course, since every bike Trek has supplied Lance and the Postal team with has found its way to the dealer floor, you can expect to find the revolutionary Madone SSL at your local dealer in the near future - parking lot test anyone?
Trek Bicycles - we don't just make bikes – we make history!
It appears that if you want a limited edition Lance Armstrong Madone 5.9, it would cost you $7,000, but that's because it has special engraving. They're not using that in the Tour. It seems that the Tour bikes are $4,500 to $5,000. I think bike prices have come down in the last 15 years or so. I was taking late 80's prices in my head and adjusting them upward. It seems that these top bikes have more mass appeal now; thus, they can spread design costs over a greater market, resulting in a lower price for all. They certainly aren't going down in quality. So that must be the answer, not considering gains in manufacturing productivity.