General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Crawfish: What to do with precooked, whole crawfish

Started by DoctorK · · Last activity · 9 posts · 2,937 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
23 February 2004
Last activity
24 February 2004
Original author
DoctorK
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,937
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home) carries
    in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked
    crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're not
    frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?

    Thanks,

    Doc.

  2. On 23 Feb 2004 13:28:52 -0800, [email hidden] (DoctorK)

    Quoted message said:

    I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home) carries
    in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked
    crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're not
    frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?

    Thanks,

    Doc.

    We eat them cold. Break off the heads & shell & use a mayo-based dip of your choice.

    Boron

  3. DoctorK said:

    I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home)
    carries in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any
    uncooked crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're
    not frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?

    Thanks,

    Doc.

    Yes, you could heat them up that way; toss them in boiling water just long enough to heat through.
    Don't overcook or, you're right, they could become tough.

    Laissez les bon temps rouler!

    Jill

  4. On 23 Feb 2004 13:28:52 -0800, [email hidden] (DoctorK)

    Quoted message said:

    I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home) carries
    in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked
    crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're not
    frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?

    I would steam them in a colander over simmering water to reheat.

    Tara

  5. A "few minutes" is too long. You just want to defrost and barely heat them through.
    ------------------

    Quoted message said:

    s seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked crawfish.
    If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're not frozen. Would I
    just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?

  6. Tara said:
    (DoctorK) said:

    I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home)
    carries in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any
    uncooked crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these?
    They're not frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?

    I would steam them in a colander over simmering water to reheat.

    Tara

    Double boiler trick, perhaps. Funny, while I was awake early this morning with a sick cat Bert Wolf
    was on PBS talking about double boilers, toast, burgers and cheese sauce. I ran into the man at an
    office building when I was about 28 years old; he used to live in Memphis. He gave me the look-see
    and asked if I knew anything about cooking as I walked down the steps. I just smiled.

  7. On 23 Feb 2004 13:28:52 -0800, [email hidden] (DoctorK)

    Quoted message said:

    I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home) carries
    in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked
    crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're not
    frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?

    They're from China and/or SE Asia. They've been cooked to death,frozen, thawed, frozen again, thawed
    again, rinse and repeat.

    Throw them away. Or just don't buy them.

    -sw

  8. On 23 Feb 2004 13:28:52 -0800, [email hidden] (DoctorK)

    Quoted message said:

    I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home) carries
    in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked
    crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're not
    frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?

    Thanks,

    Doc.

    If you are having a "Crawfish Boil" just put them in the pot ( with the corn,potatoes,ect) for the
    last minute to warm up.

    If you just wish to use the Crawfish (no boil), peel and use in etouffee.

    Steaming would be good if reheating the full bugs alone. Pan Ohco

  9. "DoctorK" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY (near my Rochester home)
    carries in its seafood department whole, in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any
    uncooked crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat) these? They're
    not frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes? Would that make them too tough?

    Why not peel them and make crawfish etouffe out of the meat? Good recipes for it are easy to find.

    --Erica

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.