Creating smarter Belgian riders

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> > Philip W. Moore, Jr. wrote:

> > > Religion doesn't belong in the books issued to public school students.
> > > Read
> > > our Constitution here in the states.

> > As a card-carrying liberal comsymp, I think it's acceptable (and
> > constitutional) to have a course that teaches _about_ religions,
> > if the course doesn't promote religion. Whether this can actually
> > be accomplished in most parts of the US is open to question.

> <snipped>
> Holy **** looks like we're in complete agreement. Now I'll have to
> watch for phone taps, yours already is as a threat to the country.
> I really don't think you could do this in any HS without generating a
> huge backlash. One instance would be the Crusades. If you said anything
> more than "They happened. Subject closed" you'd ******** one of the
> sides involved. It's just way to subjective, and hot politically to be
> able to do at a HS here.
> Bill C

Any school?

http://holycross.bc.ca/cs/photos/

Team nickname: The Crusaders
School slogan: in hoc signo vinces

I don't know why I'm expressing an opinion on the Crusades here, but
students of history wondering why Christians seemed so focused on
beating up on Muslims in Jerusalem might want to look up the Battle of
Tours:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tours

Then those not acquainted with the geography of France are invited to
look at where in the country Tours is.

Personally, I went to St. Thomas More, home of the Knights, and the Holy
Cross Crusaders were our hated rivals,

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 06:08:43 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
wrote:

>There's an error in assuming that a lack of salary equivalency is some
>sort of monstrous inequality. Salary is roughly a proxy for
>replaceability, with a soupcon of job security making public-sector
>salaries lower than similar private-sector jobs (as I well know, since I
>am a tech nerd working in the public sector)

Not by me. I was only responding to the earlier comment. OTOH, there
is an issue when people can't afford housing (housing, not houses -
simple rentals are out of reach of teachers in some areas).

Teaching is impacted by a much wider net of issues, starting with
exclusionary zoning regulations that prevent affordable rentals in
many areas or encourage conversion of rentals. People end up giving up
jobs that they trained and were educated for because when they leave
the job and go home, they have to deal with making life work on
insufficient money. A great part of the problem with teaching in many
areas IMO are found when you look at those that left the profession
for reasons other than the profession itself. Its something I see
regularly - nursing has similar issues and I hear all the time of
people that work with my wife leavng the profession.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> "Although we often hear that the data can speak for themselves, their

> voices can be soft and sly."

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics.
-Mark Twain